DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Paint peeling off! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/117444-paint-peeling-off.html)

Warren Kawamoto March 20th, 2008 02:48 PM

Paint peeling off!
 
My EX1 is about a month old and already the paint is coming off. My sel/set letters are about rubbed off, and the paint on my handle is starting to peel. I was astonished that I can very easily scrape off the paint with my fingernail and there is shiny bare aluminum underneath. Anybody else has this problem?

Martin Mayer March 20th, 2008 02:50 PM

Any pictures?

Vito DeFilippo March 20th, 2008 02:56 PM

Wouldn't that be covered under the warranty?

Warren Kawamoto March 20th, 2008 03:08 PM

I can't take any photos now as my wife took the camera to work this morning. Will post some photos when she gets home. I'm sure warranty will cover it, but it's such a heartbreak when something like this happens. I'm also quite sure that if I wanted to, I could take off all the paint if I tried. If you look at the handle from the side, you'll see that it's in 3 parts; upper, middle, and lower. The problem is the upmost piece. Right where the upper and middle sections meet. I guess it's easier if I post a pic....:(

Dennis Joseph March 20th, 2008 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 845779)
Wouldn't that be covered under the warranty?

First of all, i'm not saying that you have been playing football with that camera, but for that paint to be chipping off in a month , what have you been doing with it?

Thank god I got that 3 year extended warranty. Very well worth it and at a good price.

Warren Kawamoto March 20th, 2008 03:22 PM

The camera hasn't been abused at all, it's been out on only 3 weddings so far. Nothing has been spilled on it. I just noticed the bare spot on the handle this morning and when I tried rubbing it, more paint loosened. Then I scraped it with my fingernail and saw how easily it peels off. There is no primer, just a coat of black paint on aluminum!

Daniel Alexander March 20th, 2008 03:48 PM

It's been noted in a few reviews that the paint rubs of quite quickly in particular spots, especially the select dial. It's a shame but i think its prone to happen after a certain amount of use.

Dennis Joseph March 20th, 2008 03:55 PM

I would probably wait till after summer and send it in to warranty and get a new camera. By then you would probably get a flawless camera

Alfredo Silva March 20th, 2008 05:28 PM

Can one use the waranty in those cases? a friend have de camera for 3 weeks now and have the leters nearly to disapear. I have tried to cover them with a trasnparent film (like the ipod protection). its not so beautiful but Its does the work.

Ian Smith March 20th, 2008 06:49 PM

If my experience with a Sony laptop is anything to go by they won't accept this as warranty. Six months in and several of the keyboard letters had completely wiped off. Then the screen went so I returned it under warranty. They replaced the screen but said the keyboard was normal wear and tear and not covered.

Brian Rhodes March 20th, 2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto (Post 845776)
My EX1 is about a month old and already the paint is coming off. My sel/set letters are about rubbed off, and the paint on my handle is starting to peel. I was astonished that I can very easily scrape off the paint with my fingernail and there is shiny bare aluminum underneath. Anybody else has this problem?


Notice this on the back of my cam profile text is fading

Steven Thomas March 20th, 2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis Joseph (Post 845787)
First of all, i'm not saying that you have been playing football with that camera, but for that paint to be chipping off in a month , what have you been doing with it?

Thank god I got that 3 year extended warranty. Very well worth it and at a good price.

Dennis,
I also got the extended warranty early last week from my dealer.
I have received no paperwork regarding this warranty.

Did you receive any documentation with your warranty?

I'm going to call my dealer next week.

Swen Goebbels March 20th, 2008 10:57 PM

The ND# "2" and the "set/sel" is printing on the camcorder looks very used for me allready. Just did a few shootings with it. So I think the painting quality isn't very good (have they forgotten the clear coat?). But who cares. A camcorder has to make good pictures and not have a high quality painting. This cam has more problems than it's painting!

Dennis Joseph March 21st, 2008 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Thomas (Post 845991)
Dennis,
I also got the extended warranty early last week from my dealer.
I have received no paperwork regarding this warranty.

Did you receive any documentation with your warranty?

I'm going to call my dealer next week.

Yes I got a cardboard like envelope with a sticker with phone numbers and a certificate number where I went online and registered with the certificate number.

Michael H. Stevens March 21st, 2008 01:15 PM

You may be covered by warranty if this is not normal but defective paint. I tried hard to rub my paint off with no success.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:12 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2019 The Digital Video Information Network