Good Bag for EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 21st, 2008, 02:51 AM   #1
Major Player

Good Bag for EX1

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but what kind of bags are you all using for your EX1. I really ought to get one before it gets damaged!

Can anyone recommend bags for lighting and bits and pieces too (dedolights for example?)

many thanks
paul
Paul Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:20 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Curtis View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but what kind of bags are you all using for your EX1. I really ought to get one before it gets damaged!

Can anyone recommend bags for lighting and bits and pieces too (dedolights for example?)

many thanks
paul

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...8431&langId=-1

I got this cheaper at b&h. I like it so far.
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I've used Porta Brace for years. You can't go wrong with the quality and convenience. I Still have bags almost 10 years old.
This is the one I use for my EX1
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mera_Case.html

Lights Etc. Definitely Pelican.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...se_Black_.html

Stands and Accessories
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ight_Case.html
Ben McElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2008, 11:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Forum Search is your friend. Strangely, this is not the first time this question has come up.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=111369
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM   #5
New Boot

I am using Petrol PDRB 4. It has plenty of room for the camcorder with mattebox such as Cavision for example.
Walter Uhrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Luggy

I got a luggy bagpack. If u dont know it ,no way to know it's a camera bag. It's real good for me in african airports and on the road.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm using the Cinebags backpack, which is a pretty darned good fit for the EX1 (strangely for a company called Cinebags, it ships with a ton of internal dividers set up for still cameras - to fit an EX1, pull them all out - there's still a bunch of padding built in to the bag) The outside pockets provide plenty of space for batteries and SxS cards. There is a front pocket that will fit a skinny laptop like a 15 inch MacBook Pro or one of the slender VAIOs nicely - a 17 inch MacBook Pro just MIGHT fit (I only have a 15 inch around here to try), and I wouldn't try a 2 inch thick Dell laptop (the major restriction seems to be on thickness). About the most I'd try to fit is the EX1, the Mac, the chargers for camera and computer, and several spare batteries and SxS cards (I can't see how to get a 3.5 inch external hard drive or a big shotgun mic in as well). The two chargers would have to share the top compartment, which increases potential tangling. I usually carry the computer in a separate bag (with room for hard drives, etc....), which opens up quite a bit of room for camera accessories

-Dan
Dan Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 07:51 AM   #8
Wrangler

I'm a little late to the party here, but thought I'd update this thread with my own solutions.

I wanted a bag large enough to hold the EX1 with Century mattebox AND .75x wide adaptor attached if needed. Wandered around a local camera store with my tape measure and took home a Tamrac 5613: Tamrac - Model 5613 Ultra Pro 13

This is designed for two SLR's with a bunch of lenses and a laptop actually, but you can pull out all the velcro dividers and arrange to suit. Fits the EX1 with mattebox attached perfectly, and all the different pockets are great for my other stuff. I could even bring my MacBook Pro along if I wanted to!

I really like Tamrac's bags, although they probably don't occur to most people since they're oriented towards still cameras. For times when I don't need the mattebox, I am still using the Tamrac strongbox 644 case which I originally bought for my Z1: Strongbox Series. The strongboxes are very cool - rigid PVC plastic tub inside a soft covering - looks like a soft case but it's really strong and well padded. I got this while traveling just in case I hit a situation where I might be forced to check the camera case (such as a regional jet). It's a good fit for the stock EX1 that still leaves room for accessories.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:54 AM   #9
Trustee

ThinkTank Airport Accelleration

It is with deepest regret that I forget the name of the DVinfo member here who put me onto this marvellous backpack bag:

Professional photography equipment - camera bags, camera cases - from Think Tank Photo

An early photo of mine (tt's packed a lot neater now...)

ThinkTank bag on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It holds my EX1, Sanken short shotgun, Sennheiser cans, 8x SxS cards, 2 wireless mics, reporter mic, 2 tie clip mics, 2 XLR cables, bebob, 3 batts and charger, 2 hard disks with cables, loads of AA batteries, either a spare Canon HV20, Wangle adaptor or LED lamp, loads of cable, white balance card, MacBook Pro 17" with power adaptor, and misc bits (torch, tape, pens, adaptors).

The real trick is that it's carry-on sized, it keeps the Mac and the kit together IF there's a strict 'one bag' carry-on policy (UK had this a year or so ago), and you can pull the MacBook Pro (in its padded sleeve) out and the bag will fit in cheaper airlines' bins assuming the separate laptop/briefcase rule. The only airline it would probably fail on is RyanAir, which I refuse to fly anyway.

BTW forgot to mention the neat little 'raincoat' it has, so you can happily trudge through monsoon rain without drowning your kit. It also makes for a great workout when it's fully loaded (my record - 17 Kg)
Old August 23rd, 2009, 05:47 AM   #10
Wrangler

That's pretty cool Matt - lots of room in there! My Tamrac 5613 also has a "raincoat". But anyone who travels in the US should know that on flights which use Regional Jets, they won't let you carry on anything as large as either of these. Tiny overhead racks on these planes and not much room under the seat either. They gate check this kind of thing as you board, and (hopefully) it gets less abuse than it would going through the regular baggage check system.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:05 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
anyone who travels in the US should know that on flights which use Regional Jets, they won't let you carry on anything as large as either of these.
Y'see, that's the problem with being a member of an Island Race: plane = internationial (mostly). Thanks for the heads up.

Is there a Silverjet equivalent of Greyhound, I wonder?
Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:59 AM   #12
Inner Circle

HI Paul,

I have tried most of the bags on the market and Think Tank Roller bag is my go to bag for my EX1.
Professional photography equipment - camera bags, camera cases - from Think Tank Photo

The other bag is the LowePro Dry Zone when I am on the water.

One of each and your will never have to buy another bag.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds