Missing One Folder - Can Files Be Unwrapped? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:00 AM   #1
New Boot

Missing One Folder - Can Files Be Unwrapped?

Hi,

I am currently on a 7 day shoot and on the first three days only the CLPR folder was copied across to hard drive and the TAKR that has two small files in it was NOT copied.

Now I can view the footage in Clip Browser, but XDCAM Transfer doesn't see the video file at all......

Obviously the TAKR files are required for XDCAM transfer to read the files.

Does anyone know how these files can be unwrapped to a MP2 file without the TAKR files????

Please help urgently if possible.

And, yes I am now copying across all of the BPAV folders.

Thanks in advance,

Luke
Luke Oneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 04:05 AM   #2
Major Player

There is another post concerning this situation elswhere. I think the conclusion was if you did not save the BPAV folder complete then that's it - finito - reshoot.

The golden rule is each BPAV folder is saved in an individually named archive foder - that becomes its home forever as the BPAV folder off the card cannot be renamed.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:02 AM   #3
Major Player

I simply can't understand this kind of video clip format design:
The EX1 produces video clips that we can play back alright, but that are nevertheless useless if a small supplemental file is lost.
Sony - why not implement ALL necessary file information within the native video clip in the first place?

Last edited by Michael Mann; March 23rd, 2008 at 09:07 AM.
Michael Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Yep same here, I have the mp4 and the xml files but didnt copy the other contents of the BPAV folder on 2 of my 1st shoots with the EX1... Reshoot :(
Robb Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2008, 06:12 AM   #5
Major Player

Strange: if I only have the mp4 file and no other data I can still edit perfectly with the clip, I don't need to import via any clip viewer soft or anything, it just opens on the timeline, so the data loss is not terminal.

I edit with Edius Broadcast.

Paul
Old March 23rd, 2008, 08:24 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks for the info, there has to be a way around it. Sounds like I need to get onto Edius. Does anyone know anyone around St Louis that has Edius?

I am also going to try to make contact with Sony to see what help they can offer. Reshooting isn't an option unfortunately.

Thanks,
Luke
Old March 24th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #7
New Boot

Downloading Edius Now

Edius seems to claim to work with Native MPG4 files from XDCAM EX, so this could be a life saver.. I am downloading it now. http://www.canopus.com/products/EDIU...ndex.php#specs

Thanks Paul

Luke
Old March 24th, 2008, 05:20 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Tough to run on a Mac ;)
Robb Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2008, 05:40 AM   #9
Major Player

Apparently easy with Bootcamp - there are many users.

I wonder if the download free Edius trial soft has the EX1 and XDCAM codec options added, I know for sure it's a "Edius Broadcast" option when you buy,
well, I guess we'll soon find out - good luck!

Ahaa, you are in luck:

This trial version includes complete support of all native HDV formats, including Sony 1080i, Canon 1080p and JVC 720p,as well as support for Thomson Grass Valley Infinity JPEG 2000, Panasonic DVCPRO 50, DVCPRO HD, VariCam, P2, AVC-Intra, and Sony XDCAM and XDCAM EX.

Paul

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds