Avoiding duplicate clips with FCP import at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 31st, 2008, 04:58 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Avoiding duplicate clips with FCP import

To prevent duplicate clips when importing into FCP via the SONY XDCam Transfer application:

Select up to 10 clips and import as usual directly into FCP.

When that's done, go to FCP and move those 10 clips into a bin.

Import the next 10 clips via XDCam Transfer.

Again, go back to FCP and move those newly imported clips into the bin where you moved the other clips.

It's annoying to have to go back and forth. However the advantage of doing it this way is that it will preserve any comments you typed into the XDCam Transfer logging window. Quite helpful when logging a lot of clips.

Apparently FCP chokes when there's more than 10 XDCam clips imported into a project. It will also mess up if there are already XDCam clips in the browser, and your additional clips add up to more than 10 or 11 total clips.

To avoid problems, move imported clips out of the browser and into a bin. That way the next set of clips will be imported into a "clean" browser without any problems.

As clips are imported, they can be consolidated into a bin wihout any problems. Once they're in the project, clips can be moved anywhere and grouped as desired.
Old March 31st, 2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tip Dean. My solution is to import all the clips into FCP using the XDCAM transfer process in one shot. Then I delete them ALL from the default bin in FCP and then import them again from the hard drive where the original transfer process had put them.
Bryan Suthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Bryan...

Hopefully some will find this useful.

Most important to me is that this work-around preserves comments and other notes that are input via the XDCam Transfer application.

I generally keep my file names short and add notes via the Comments window. Some might use more descriptive file and clip names, but sometimes those long names can create their own problems in the finder's file system.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds