Can I unload EX1 files to my iBook? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 1st, 2008, 03:23 PM   #1
Major Player

Can I unload EX1 files to my iBook?

Hi
We are off to a shoot tomorrow and our new SxS cards didn´t arrive in time (as promised).
We have a Mac Pro with us, but we will be out in the field most of the day.
The question is if I can unload the files from the EX1 onto my iBook and drag them over to the Mac Pro at the end of the day or do I need the Transfer Tool?
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:55 PM   #2
Tourist

You'll need the SxS drivers for the computer to see the camera once you plug it in but not the transfer tool.

XDCAM TRANSFER is only for converting the file on the SxS to the FCP friendly format.

I would copy the whole BPAV folder over to your internal (or external) drive or if your ibook has the DVD burner, also make an image of your card.

Be sure to make separate folders for each BPAV folder so you don't overwrite the previous one.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 04:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks. That was good news.
Do I find the SxS drivers at the Sony site?
After reading a bit I realize I can´t use the Transfer tool as I need FCP 5 or later. I have FC 4 on the iBook.

Just need to do a spring cleaning of my ibook to free up some space

Edit: Found the drivers so I should be good to go. Thanks again
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You could download the Sony Transfer Tool for your iBook but you wouldn't be able to use it to transcode the files or even look at the video because the EX1 codecs reside with FCP 6.0.2 and not with the Transfer Tool software. But you'll still need to download and install this program in order to get the FAM Driver (software driver that allows the SxS Pro card to appear on the desktop).

Install the Transfer Tool and the FAM Driver onto your iBook. Since you don't have an Express 34 slot on your laptop you'll have to use the camera as the "deck" and connected to the iBook via USB.

Follow the instructions from the other posters here regarding dragging the BPAV folder from each card and putting it into a uniquely named folder on your media drive. Use a new folder with a unique name for EACH NEW CARD TRANSFER. Very important.

Go here to get the Sony Transfer Tool/FAM driver combo. Make sure your iBook meets minimum system requirements for the Sony software first to avoid any problems in the field later.

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/son...x?model=PDZKP1

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds