My first film with the EX1! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 9th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #16
Major Player

yeah, its stops playback at the exact same point when the hand comes into the picture. maybe its just my computer. Ill try later with a better computer.

sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:50 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I tried too. It starts up as a download on my Mac then a window with a bunch of jibberish text pops up. If you decide to put it on Vimeo I'd take a look.
Tom Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I saw it w/ no problems- Man, that looks awesome! Let's see some more!
Hayes Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #19
Major Player

Sami, Tom, I've got a version on my space. Sorry about the quality.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=31969471

You could have a look at some other films (If you want) I've put up there too.

Hayes... Thanks!
Mark David Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 01:26 AM   #20
Major Player

Mark, what is your reason for not using vimeo? you have a product that very few people can watch
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #21
Major Player

Hi Alan. Well I actually pay to have the video on this site So I guess I want my moneys worth!

Now its on my space streaming at 1128 kbits. The reason I didn't want to use Vimeo was because its not widescreen. The effect was to stretch the film. Although my space does this too. But you can have a look around at some of my other films there too.

Hopefully everyone can watch now!
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:05 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Hey Mark got a chance to watch it. I like the idea of a movie about Alien Wars for sure. Some really cool visual effects. When you say I made a learning program... How did you do those effects they are quite good. And the night sky was that footage you shot?

Cool video cant wait for the rest.
Tom Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:44 AM   #23
Major Player

Hi Tom Really appreciate your comments!

The learning program sequence was made in Maxon C4DLE the original intention was to follow the script more closely and have robotic bugs come down a hollow tube. But it would have been very time consuming and drawn attention to what may have taken up days and perhaps ended up being a lessor effect. Knowing how hard I sometimes find it to edit out work that has been labour intensive (My labour) It might ruin it. So I went for something a little simpler. In fact I wanted a blank screen for the opening speech. I think that would have worked better! Especially when a real film would be so effects laden. However as a short first few conceptualized few minutes it would have been seen as a copout on my part a cheap budget . I built the program from basic shapes textures etc.

The problem with doing effects like this is computing power. Renders can take forever especially with global illumination etc. Not having access to render farms and only one laptop to edit on is very limiting. Imagine what a proper effects house could do!

The night scene..
Sam was filmed using a green screen and the night sky was added in. The EX-1 seems great for greenscreen effects!

One scene I liked was nearer the end where Sam stands by the road looking at the sign. This was all filmed on location but to me Possibly because he is so still it looks like he was added in. I wish now I had used a longer lens for that even though I think its more effective in not looking quite right isolating Sam and making him look insignificant. To me that whole scene looked odd signifying his strangeness and the new environment. I loved it but Im sure many wouldnt get it.

If there was a demand I could do a making of video! Although I doubt this would happen! :)
Old April 20th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #24
Tourist

Hey Mark

I really liked this. I love the storyline, are you taking this further?
Steven Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #25
New Boot

I really enjoyed what I have seen so far. It didn't seem like another stupid alien film, rather something that requires a little more thought.

Questions -- what equipment did you use? Was there a 35mm adapter? Polarizing filters? A mattebox? Etc...

Some of the better EX1 footage I have seen.

ADVICE --

Some of the CG work just doesn't work. It does't come across as authentic, and as such doesn't subsequently flow as well as one would hope with the rest of your trailor. Personally I felt that it diverted my interest from your otherwise great peice.

If you found a way to go the low-budget but more film type look I think you would be able to take this peice much further.

But then again -- this is all IMHO.

Best of luck,
Alex.
Alex Gutterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:29 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
Hey Mark

I really liked this. I love the storyline, are you taking this further?
Hi Steven. Thanks! I want to!
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:37 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Gutterson View Post
I really enjoyed what I have seen so far. It didn't seem like another stupid alien film, rather something that requires a little more thought.

Questions -- what equipment did you use? Was there a 35mm adapter? Polarizing filters? A mattebox? Etc...

Some of the better EX1 footage I have seen.

ADVICE --

Some of the CG work just doesn't work. It does't come across as authentic, and as such doesn't subsequently flow as well as one would hope with the rest of your trailor. Personally I felt that it diverted my interest from your otherwise great peice.

If you found a way to go the low-budget but more film type look I think you would be able to take this peice much further.

But then again -- this is all IMHO.

Best of luck,
Alex.
Hi Alex

No just the camera and without its mattebox. I did use a Dolly.

I agree with the effects. This is really a step up from a storyboard to try and give a feel for the script and direction. Its to show people what it could look like. But not a finished film. I would love to let loose some creatives and take what Im doing to the next level!

Alex see what you think of the trailer?

http://www.mydeo.com/videodownload.a...379&CID=154394

And the two minute opening again in case you might want to compare?

http://www.mydeo.com/videodownload.a...679&CID=177563

Last edited by Mark David Williams; April 21st, 2008 at 06:23 AM.
Mark David Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds