If I understand this correctly, I can't edit HQ EX1 footage in FCP 5? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 10th, 2008, 02:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

If I understand this correctly, I can't edit HQ EX1 footage in FCP 5?

Currently we are using Final Cut Pro 5 on all our video editing stations. If I understand this correctly, I can't edit footage shot in HQ mode in FCP 5 because we don't have the XDCAM Plugin for Final Pro, which as I understand it only comes with FCP 6? Is this accurate?
Akira Hakuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 04:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira Hakuta View Post
Is this accurate?
Yes it is. You need FCP v.6.0.2, QT v.7.3.1 and Mac OS v.10.4.11 for it all to work. These are the minimum requirements to transfer and edit XDCAM EX footage on a Mac. You can use a PowerPC or an Intel machine. It doesn't matter which, other than the fact that the Sony Clip Browser software is Intel only. The important Sony Transfer Tool Software is cross platform, which is what you need to transfer the EX clips from the SxS Pro Memory card to the Mac.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Greening View Post
Yes it is. You need FCP v.6.0.2, QT v.7.3.1 and Mac OS v.10.4.11 for it all to work. These are the minimum requirements to transfer and edit XDCAM EX footage on a Mac. You can use a PowerPC or an Intel machine. It doesn't matter which, other than the fact that the Sony Clip Browser software is Intel only. The important Sony Transfer Tool Software is cross platform, which is what you need to transfer the EX clips from the SxS Pro Memory card to the Mac.

- Don
It's the mac mantra, upgrade. :)

ok, ok, I'm not gonna flame this up, and I've got nothing against OSX (pronounced OS Ten, not OS EX... or so i was informed the other day, so don't make this mistake around someone who's a true diehard) I just had to make a funny :)
David Hadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #4
Major Player

Akira
All you need is one.
You have one Mac with FCP 6.0.2 in it, ingest into FCP and use Media Manager to convert your clips into ProRes, AIC, or another format that the earler FCPs can see.
Then move the clips over into your other (older) machines.
I currently have two modern and four older machines.
I keep one modern machine for log and ingest and the other (with Kona card, etc) for render mastering, tape outputs and other deliverables (and to show off to the producer/clients).

FYI most of my VFX stuff gets bounced out of Mac into PC for Boujou, Matchmover Pro, Maya/Lightwave and Adobe SC3 on two high end (but lower priced) PCs. I'm building a skulltrail PC machine right now for VFX too.
Then back into the (older) G5s for editing. And some of them are even Avids, not FCPs. All the Macs are Qmastered together, all the PCs are Lightwave Renderfarmed together.
File transfers are handled with a simple Ethernet router system and backups are 1TB NAS drives.

Cheers
Chris
Old April 12th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #5
Major Player

Also fcp 6.0.3 has hit which seems to add full support, but I haven't got a chance to test it yet.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds