DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   List of EX1 faults and how to check for them? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/119112-list-ex1-faults-how-check-them.html)

Simon Frances April 11th, 2008 05:02 AM

List of EX1 faults and how to check for them?

Can we compile a list of the various faults the EX1 has as a sticky, combined with instructions on how to check for them? For instance, a step-by-step on how to check whether one has a backfocus fault.

I thought this might be easier for people to check what faults there cameras are exhibiting, thus when sending there cameras into Sony for repair, all faults can be addressed at the same time (we hope). It would be very annoying to send our cameras in for repair, getting it back only to discover another fault because we weren’t personally aware of it.

Regards,
Simon

Mathieu Ghekiere April 11th, 2008 05:52 AM

Sticky pleaaase

Vignetting issue:

point the camera at a wall or something with an even light color.
Zoom in and out and look if you have any vignetting around one of the corners of the image troughout the zoom andback.

Simon Frances April 11th, 2008 08:50 AM

Autofocus, flicker, color shift issue:

Set the camera to manual apart from focus, which should be set to AUTO. (My settings were as follows: HQ 1080 24/25p, 1/50th, f/4, gain -3, manual white balance.) Point the camera at an object with a bright light behind it, like some trees. If you are experiencing the same you should get a pulsating light flicker in the bright areas especially around the trees, the image will go in and out of focus rapidly (not to be confused with focus hunting) and there is a color shift in the bright areas. Example

Simon Frances April 11th, 2008 08:53 AM

Battery drain issue:

Leave the battery on camera for approx. 24 – 48 hours with the camera switched off, if you have this issue, your battery would have drained significantly.

Can someone please confirm for sure, whether this happens with the large battery.

Michael Mann April 11th, 2008 08:56 AM

Simon, did you get a response from Sony regarding this issue? Has it been fixed?

Dave Morrison April 11th, 2008 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Frances (Post 858295)
Battery drain issue:

Leave the battery on camera for approx. 24 – 48 hours with the camera switched off, if you have this issue, your battery would have drained significantly.

Can someone please confirm for sure, whether this happens with the large battery.

Just curious about this issue....if you store the camera with the battery detached, I assume that the battery would be fine. But, what settings would you lose in the camera? Custom presets, I assume?

Simon Frances April 11th, 2008 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Mann (Post 858297)
Simon, did you get a response from Sony regarding this issue? Has it been fixed?

Hi Michael,

No not yet, they've acknowledged that there's an issue and said they've sent it off to Japan but that was 2 months ago. I've chased it up but am told they've not heard anything back. As soon as they do, I'll post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Morrison (Post 858310)
Just curious about this issue....if you store the camera with the battery detached, I assume that the battery would be fine. But, what settings would you lose in the camera? Custom presets, I assume?

Dave,

Your assumption is correct, the battery will be fine. As for the settings, they will be fine too, I believe the internal battery saves these settings.

Benjamin Eckstein April 11th, 2008 09:34 AM

The battery issue I believe is across all EX-1s so don't try to send it to Sony to get fixed. Its annoying I guess, but not really a big deal considering. A firmware update may possibly fix it but I like to be in the habit of taking off the battery anyways when I put it in the bag, as I have had the power switch get toggled on. And no, you definitely will not lose any settings.

Dennis Joseph April 11th, 2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

Battery drain issue:

I have kept my battery on for 48 hour straight and it has gone down by maybe 5-10 minutes. I have v1.05 firmware

Ian Smith April 11th, 2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Battery drain issue:

I left a full U60 battery on the camera a few days ago after turning it off. Dead as a dodo when I just checked!

Zenes Petrusin April 11th, 2008 01:13 PM

Simon, i think this flicker is maybe do on AUTO KNEE ON in profile. Try off or set manual.

Don Deignan April 11th, 2008 05:29 PM

Quote:

Battery drain issue:

I was told by Sony that it is like a computer and will drain the battery if left on. Why doesn't any of their other cams do this?

Don

Don Greening April 11th, 2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Deignan (Post 858542)
Why doesn't any of their other cams do this

Because there are certain things you can check, status-wise, without having to turn the camera on first. This is probably what's draining the battery.

- Don

Lucas Allen April 21st, 2008 10:07 PM

Could one of the mods sticky this thread so that it can referenced with easy by newbie owners of the EX?????