List of EX1 faults and how to check for them? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 11th, 2008, 05:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

List of EX1 faults and how to check for them?

Can we compile a list of the various faults the EX1 has as a sticky, combined with instructions on how to check for them? For instance, a step-by-step on how to check whether one has a backfocus fault.

I thought this might be easier for people to check what faults there cameras are exhibiting, thus when sending there cameras into Sony for repair, all faults can be addressed at the same time (we hope). It would be very annoying to send our cameras in for repair, getting it back only to discover another fault because we weren’t personally aware of it.

Regards,
Simon
Simon Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Sticky pleaaase

Vignetting issue:

point the camera at a wall or something with an even light color.
Zoom in and out and look if you have any vignetting around one of the corners of the image troughout the zoom andback.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Autofocus, flicker, color shift issue:

Set the camera to manual apart from focus, which should be set to AUTO. (My settings were as follows: HQ 1080 24/25p, 1/50th, f/4, gain -3, manual white balance.) Point the camera at an object with a bright light behind it, like some trees. If you are experiencing the same you should get a pulsating light flicker in the bright areas especially around the trees, the image will go in and out of focus rapidly (not to be confused with focus hunting) and there is a color shift in the bright areas. Example
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Battery drain issue:

Leave the battery on camera for approx. 24 – 48 hours with the camera switched off, if you have this issue, your battery would have drained significantly.

Can someone please confirm for sure, whether this happens with the large battery.
Old April 11th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Simon, did you get a response from Sony regarding this issue? Has it been fixed?
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Frances View Post
Battery drain issue:

Leave the battery on camera for approx. 24 – 48 hours with the camera switched off, if you have this issue, your battery would have drained significantly.

Can someone please confirm for sure, whether this happens with the large battery.
Just curious about this issue....if you store the camera with the battery detached, I assume that the battery would be fine. But, what settings would you lose in the camera? Custom presets, I assume?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mann View Post
Simon, did you get a response from Sony regarding this issue? Has it been fixed?
Hi Michael,

No not yet, they've acknowledged that there's an issue and said they've sent it off to Japan but that was 2 months ago. I've chased it up but am told they've not heard anything back. As soon as they do, I'll post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
Just curious about this issue....if you store the camera with the battery detached, I assume that the battery would be fine. But, what settings would you lose in the camera? Custom presets, I assume?
Dave,

Your assumption is correct, the battery will be fine. As for the settings, they will be fine too, I believe the internal battery saves these settings.
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #8
Major Player

The battery issue I believe is across all EX-1s so don't try to send it to Sony to get fixed. Its annoying I guess, but not really a big deal considering. A firmware update may possibly fix it but I like to be in the habit of taking off the battery anyways when I put it in the bag, as I have had the power switch get toggled on. And no, you definitely will not lose any settings.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Battery drain issue:

I have kept my battery on for 48 hour straight and it has gone down by maybe 5-10 minutes. I have v1.05 firmware
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Battery drain issue:

I left a full U60 battery on the camera a few days ago after turning it off. Dead as a dodo when I just checked!
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Simon, i think this flicker is maybe do on AUTO KNEE ON in profile. Try off or set manual.
Zenes Petrusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
Battery drain issue:

I was told by Sony that it is like a computer and will drain the battery if left on. Why doesn't any of their other cams do this?

Don
Don Deignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Deignan View Post
Why doesn't any of their other cams do this
Because there are certain things you can check, status-wise, without having to turn the camera on first. This is probably what's draining the battery.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:07 PM   #14
Tourist

Could one of the mods sticky this thread so that it can referenced with easy by newbie owners of the EX?????
Lucas Allen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds