EX1 Firmware Update Info - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 1st, 2008, 02:52 PM   #46
Inner Circle

I heard firmware update will happen when the SxS hard drive comes out which should be in the near future (Sept?).
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #47
New Boot

I am curious also when this firmware update is coming out since the PHU-60K is now shipping.
Doug Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 06:24 PM   #48
Regular Crew

I found this at the Sony Canada site. Bummer.

http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/files/XDC...20Upgrades.pdf
Old August 13th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Tamigian View Post
I found this at the Sony Canada site. Bummer.

http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/files/XDC...20Upgrades.pdf

Sony has got to be kidding!

it takes them 2 weeks to turn a camera around, and they want to charge to update the firmware to support their accessories? good grief... at least they should offer a $100 rebate on the new hardware to support the expense of obtaining the firmware update.

on the positive side, at least they're updating their cameras, but on the negative, the experience with the EX1 (hardware issues, support issues, etc.) will make me think twice about purchasing a Sony as a follow-on camera in the future
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #50
Trustee

I agree. That is a bummer. In my case it just means I won't buy the accessories from Sony. They are not as compelling as the nanoflash anyway.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #51
Major Player

Kidding is right!!!! Sony are out of their minds trying to charge to use their accessories and 32GB cards... The amount of money lost in downtime alone for the 2 weeks + they have the camera will kill most of us!! I am trying to figure out how I am going to find the downtime to be able to send the camera in for the paint/letters rubing off/ Battery drain issues and also just the current free firmware upgrade...Let alone paying an additional 100.00

It could cost you a pretty penny for this if you have to pay for shipping and insurance as well...

Someone over their needs to pull their head out and just make the firmware free and a user upgrade....!
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 08:43 PM   #52
New Boot

That is 100% ridiculous that you would have to pay $100 for an update that gives you the ability to buy and use two accessories that cost $1000 or more. Sony just doesn't get it sometimes. They love to get you left and right.
Doug Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #53
Inner Circle

I sent my camera in two weeks ago for a ND switch that fell into the camera and a crooked LCD. I talked with the Tech yesterday and the camera has been held until yesterday so it could get the new firmware. All of the work is under warranty and Sony has been very informative through the whole process.
Camera should arrive tomorrow.
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #54
Major Player

Paul, did your conversation lead you to believe that ANY camera that comes in for warranty service would automatically receive the $100 firmware update OR was it simply to bring you up to the current pre-accessory firmware version (which I believe is 1.05)?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #55
Inner Circle

Dave I was told by the tech that he had to wait till this week to receive the new firmware that will run the Sony hard drive. The camera had 1.03 when I sent it in.

I requested the firmware update as part of the service. Not a word was mentioned about a charge for the update.
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:36 AM   #56
Trustee

That's a good question Dave. I think we should not be rash based on the Canadian policy, which could end up being different than other regions.

But if we assumed the policies are the same, I think it's unethical if the camera was being promoted as firmware upgradable to accept future accessories in order to get you to buy it now, without being told that you were going to be charged for it later or even getting it for free by delaying the purchase.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 11:06 AM   #57
Trustee

The EX3 was launched here today but the chap with the 32Gb Sxs didnt know when the firmware would be ready for our region thou. Hope that it comes soon. The price of the 32Gb was said to be USD2000. Seems that they are already looking into 64Gb right now!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #58
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
That's a good question Dave. I think we should not be rash based on the Canadian policy, which could end up being different than other regions.

But if we assumed the policies are the same, I think it's unethical if the camera was being promoted as firmware upgradable to accept future accessories in order to get you to buy it now, without being told that you were going to be charged for it later or even getting it for free by delaying the purchase.

I totally agree and will add that having to send the unit into a Sony depot in this day and age is draconian.

I cannot think of any other major electronics manufacturer who expects the end-user to surrender their equipment for a firmware upgrade. Computers, cell phones, DVD/Blu-ray players etc. etc. The expense and time lost is a no-brainer.

If the device requires a trip to a Sony depot, then it should be covered by Sony Warranty period. Otherwise, charge the end-user and let the end-use install the firmware like other well meaning companies who are serious performance, quality, useable features and satisfied customers.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #59
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
The EX3 was launched here today but the chap with the 32Gb Sxs didnt know when the firmware would be ready for our region thou. Hope that it comes soon. The price of the 32Gb was said to be USD2000. Seems that they are already looking into 64Gb right now!
Sean, are you saying that the EX3 needs a firmware upgrade to work with the 32Gb cards?
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #60
Trustee

I've said too much already. I'm taking a chill pill.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds