EX1 Firmware Update Info at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 15th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Major Player

EX1 Firmware Update Info

I just spoke to a gentleman from Sony Japan at the Sony Booth and here is what he told me about the upcoming firmware:

•It will be available in July or August

•The only added features will be support for non-SxS media and the ability to output 24p from the SDI.

•No pre-recording.

There was definitely a language barrier between us, so I hope this is all accurate (actually I hope it's inaccurate). I was not able to find out how the update will be distributed.

I tried to inspect behind the lens of the EX3 to try to figure out what's going on with the EX1 backfocus (assuming the filter arrangement is the same on both cameras), but was interrupted by a Sony rep who asked me to stop before I could get a good look. Damn.

Last edited by Eric Pascarelli; April 15th, 2008 at 05:54 PM.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

That's slightly disappointing. I do like the idea of 24p out on the HD-SDI, but there are many other things that I think could be added.
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Phillip verified in another thread that the Firmware will be user upgradable...I just hope they can add easy access to change framerate.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 05:12 AM   #4
Trustee

Will this firmware allow us to correctly set the backfocus,is set it for ND off,ND1 and ND2 ?

Paul.
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #5
New Boot

Paul,

The backfocus problem caused by switching the ND filters on is adressed in software version 1.05_0405
It is done through making an offset in the servo adjusted lens parts when you switch from ND-off to ND-1 or ND-2 and vice versa.
Peter Brugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:18 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brugman View Post
Paul,

The backfocus problem caused by switching the ND filters on is adressed in software version 1.05_0405
It is done through making an offset in the servo adjusted lens parts when you switch from ND-off to ND-1 or ND-2 and vice versa.
Is this a fact? Did you get this answer from Sony at NAB?
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #7
New Boot

Dennis,

I was there when software version was installed.
Sony maintenance article said this version does address this problem and indeed it did in my case.
Peter Brugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #8
Trustee

So when the firmware which we we can download and install via net/usb becomes available in a few months we can sort the backfocus and then redo the adjustments ourselves,that's great news.
It'll probably be firmware 1.06 xxxxxx or whatever by then.
I'd rather wait till then than send my cam off.

Paul.
Old April 16th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Nice to see it will be possible to use non-Sxs media, I was already afraid that Sony wouldn't keep their promise. Are there certain specs a card has to have when shooting with the EX1 in HQ?

BTW, the new firmware 1.05 is already out, although some people can still get a camera with 1.03 (if they get an older camera), but if I'm correct you still can't upgrade yourself, as user? You still have to send your camera to Sony and have it lost for 2 weeks?

Thanks,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pascarelli View Post
•No pre-recording.
Very annyoing if true.
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Sony maintenance article said this version does address this problem and indeed it did in my case.
Ahh, the mystery of the Maintenance Article. Would be great if Sony made these public, then we'd all know what's up. Dreaming on...

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #12
New Boot

Hope they can fix the battery issue as well.
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Dennis,

Thank You Peter for confirming this. Based upon your confirmation the Sony Pro Dealers in Western Canada are totally in the dark. As of April 12, 2008 are they claiming the EX1 has no issues they are asking Sony List $7400 minus $200.00. The Canadian dollar is on par with the US and has been for the last 6 months. Then there are the dealers, also as of April 12, 2008 who are quoting $400.00 below Sony list and pawning off their rental units. Sony Canada and its distributors have serious issues and for my part both have lost all credibility. I'm just glad that I have held off my purchase even though the EX1 with the latest 1.05 firmware may show good potential of resolving the major issues.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #14
Major Player

[QUOTE=My camera came back from repair two days ago and it still has the backfocus issue. The new firmware V1.05 was installed and the backfocus is worse than it ever was before... So this did not fix the... .[/QUOTE]

That is what Gerald wrote in the "Sony has confirmed backfocus problem" thread.

I don't think that the firmware update will automatically work wonders on the backfocus issue being that a few people have it and it has ot done anything for them...
Dennis Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Mine came back from service (two weeks ago) with firmware 1.05 and back-focus wasn't fixed either. Both cameras are back in Holland for the second time. It's been already two weeks and there is no reply from Sony about the repair progress.
Pavlos Symeon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds