Small HD camera to mix with EX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 21st, 2008, 04:04 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Ike thanks that Samsung looks interesting to bad it is not out until June. The SR12 also look like it is worth a look. I will check both out more tonight. Thanks
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:19 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Has anyone tried the Sony SR12 with FCS?
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:31 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Yes I have the sr12 with the letus mini as a second cam to the ex1 with letus extreme.

The sr12 has a much better display than the canon hv20, therefore you can actually judge focus pretty well. I have got the hv20 too,but no chance to judge focus, at least from my point of view.

The sr12 is very sharp but tends to produce heavier motionblur than the hv20.
Colorwise its much closer to the ex1 cause of the exmor technology.

It has no progressive mode, but I chose to do that in post.
But in the end the best progressive mode is useless if you come home with soft pictures cause you couldnīt judge focus.

Holger
Holger Neuhaeuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 12:16 PM   #19
Major Player

We are currently shooting a Freeride cup (for skiers) and are making a 30 min broadcast every week.
We have a XL-H1, an A1 an EX1 and A HV20 and HV30, of all these cameras the H1 and EX1 are the ones that intercut best. The HVs are ok for this kind of program, but I wouldn´t have used it as a second camera in any kind of drama shoot. You really notice when you cut to these cameras. And the build quality is quite poor and plasticky. We have had 2 HV20s stop working already

PS We broadcast in SD
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Thanks Holger and Joachim for the info all helpful.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:20 AM   #21
Major Player

I just want to add that I think the HV20 and 30 produce great images for the price.
Maybe if one have more time, you can make them match better. One of the problems is the limited manual controls of course
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #22
Major Player

Deleted post
Old April 24th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaughan Wood View Post
Gee,

I've found it virtually impossible to colour match FX 7 (CMOS and Sony)footage to an EX 1, let alone a different make camera.

It was so frustrating and time comsuming I went out and bought a second EX!

We even went out and tested the Z7 to try and match that, but gave up and paid the extra for the EX.

....AND I'M SO GLAD I DID! Sitting here editing two EX's at the moment. It's great!

Cheers,

Vaughan
Vaughan,

Just out of interest - have you had any problems with black suit colouring for your weddings. I have one coming up and just needed to know if you had any IR problems with the black suit colour (i.e. blacks looking slightly brown due to reflected IR)? I believe that very rough black surfaces like they use for nylon bag outers are far more prone to this problem, but was just inquisitive - as I am seriously considering whether it is worthwhile to purchase the IR filter for my EX1. I am going to use a Z1 b camera for the shoot - and don't want too many colour problems.
Old April 25th, 2008, 08:57 AM   #24
New Boot

http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=3448

This diy ext. monitor will run at most 500 but will out perform both the LCD on your ex1 and will shit all over the LCD on the hv30.

What' I'm saying is -- this tool will be universally helpful -- it could turn a hv30 into a tool capable of critical focusing -- as well -- it will help crispn' the shots on your ex.

To be honest the hv30 will only intercut well with a high deal of color grading. In addition, it performs WORLDS better when used with an intensity card and a 35mm adapter (granted this applies to the sony as well - however based upon the comparative cost of the camera -- it is a far more reasonable investment).

I remember I once saw some guy do a music video on the hv20 w/ an intensity card and to tell you the truth -- that footage looked even better than a lot of, if not all of the footage I have seen with the xh-a1. Granted there were SEVERE limitations in terms of the shoot (needing a cpu with you) and not being able to do much camera moment, but the images looked amazing.

I remember someone saying something earlier on this forum -- don't worry so much about the same frame-rates in production -- post can "telecine" anything smooth enough to compensate for different production techiniques. Hence I would still even consider the hv20 -- as with the 500 dollar monitor it will be a far better tool than the 300 dollar more expensive hv30.
Alex Gutterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #25
Inner Circle

So I went for a Sony SR12. It will be here later this week.
Old May 6th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #26
Major Player

Paul,
I'd heard so much about AVCHD being difficult to edit with, but I now understand that FCP (or iMovie) can handle the stuff. Have you tried this? I'm wondering if I could use either FCP or iMovie to convert footage to QuickTime files that I could then import into Avid. You may not know about exporting files out of FCP, but do you know if getting AVCHD into FCP is easy (or slow and difficult)?
thanks, malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #27
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
So I went for a Sony SR12. It will be here later this week.
Hey Paul,
I was considering doing the same thing for a b roll... will you please keep us posted as to how easily you are able to mix its video with the EX1's? Also, what editor do you (plan to) use?

thanks!
-sutton
Sutton Yamanashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #28
Major Player

Yes I am also very interested in the reults. Is the SR12 true 1080P? I am after a small second camera and need progressive mode. The Canon cv30 is a fake progressive so no good for me.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #29
Major Player

This thread has saved me a lot of problems. I am going to just buy another EX-1 for my second camera.
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Malcolm I have been told that Final Cut Pro will handle the footage fine and it is easy to convert to Prores which I will do. I have not tried it yet and do not know how easy it is but I have a very fast machine and will see late this week.

As for a second EX1 I have that and never use (might sell if the SR12 works as second cam) it since I am a one man show on most shoots. The SR12 is for jobs where I can't carry the EX1 (weight/size) and also in a housing for water surface shooting.

Sutton I will post what I think in a week or so once I have a chance to shoot and edit.

Steve 1080p and not tape pushed me to the SR12 over Canon.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds