Battery BP-U60 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 23rd, 2008, 11:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Battery BP-U60

So I just have the U30 that came with the camera. Been thinking about getting an extra one. I assumed that the U60 would be about double the battery length of the U30... is that a safe assumption?
Nick Schale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 12:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Yes it is!
Pavlos Symeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 02:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes Nick

I shot a whole reception with one battery the other day. Lasts a good 4 hours. I was on manual focus - zooming was normal.

The U30 is ok for a little less than 2 hours. I used it for places where I have to pick up the camera with the tripod and move it around - any extra weight off the cam is good for me

Remember don't keep the battery on the cam overnight - or it will drain :)

Paul
Paul Dhadialla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Schale View Post
about double the battery length of the U30... is that a safe assumption?
Two U60s and the U30 will keep your camera alive throughout a long shooting day without fear of losing power.

I did a long day and managed a 30 and a 60, so an extra 60 takes you beyond an issue. Because of the battery drain, I feel it's necessary to have the 30 standing by just in case. Two 60s will cover everything else.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Daviss View Post
Two U60s and the U30 will keep your camera alive throughout a long shooting day without fear of losing power.

I did a long day and managed a 30 and a 60, so an extra 60 takes you beyond an issue. Because of the battery drain, I feel it's necessary to have the 30 standing by just in case. Two 60s will cover everything else.
These batteries are heavy. Since almost all of my shooting is handheld (DvMultiRig), it would have been wiser to select an additional U30. That U60 is bigger than the biggest battery available for the Z1.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 06:31 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have two U60's and the stock U30. the U60 lasts about 4 hours in my experience as well, and the u30 lasts about 1 1/2 to 2. What's amazing though is that the u30 charges in 2 1/2 hours, while the u60 charges in about 3 1/2. MUCH better than the panasonic HVX batteries. I feel comfortable in just about any situation with a u30, 2 u60s, and two chargers (so I can run on AC while charging).

-Sean
Sean Donnelly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds