USB to Express card adapter - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 6th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #16
Trustee

Sorry Piotr,i just checked,the button is "more information", do you have that.
Yes i'm talking pc,vista to be exact.

Paul.
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:43 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Paul, under Vista there is "more information" available - but only using the OS copy function.

The Copy or Export tools of the Clip Browser do not have any more information under Vista, do they?
Old May 6th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #18
Trustee

Ah yes Piotr,you're correct.
I sometimes copy from the card using windows instead of clip browser,i've never had any problems doing it this way.

Paul.
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Pugerude View Post
I am looking at the EX3 (obviously later this summer). ...
... I think I would like to take the extra money and put it towards some more SxS cards
By that time PHU-60K will be out, so you won't need a laptop (unless you need more than 4 Hrs) or more SxS cards,
I really need one
:-)
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:37 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Pugerude View Post
I would not edit anything on the road more then likely. I just want something to get the stuff off the cards and be able to do the usually internet, email and talking to family via iChat when on the road. I already have a FCS2 Suite on a Mac Pro. So I was thinking that I could transfer all my settings and what not to the laptop and have it be my home away from home. I was also thinking about getting some of those WD HD I think they call them Pocket Drives.
Matthew, I plan on doing exactly what you are describing here. I already bought a couple of the WD 320 Passport drives (love that they are powered through the USB) and I plan on purchasing a MacBook in a few weeks. Would love to go MBP but it is just a bit out of range after the new camera purchase and all of the goodies. I may want to look at some footage on the MB but no editing, that's what my MacPro is for.

I am wondering though if I should swap out the 250GB 5400rpm drive though for a 7200rpm when I get the MB. Not sure if this will make a big performance difference if I want to view footage. The WD drives are just 5400rpm and I really want to keep those as storage for the field and not tax them too much.
Old May 6th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
By that time PHU-60K will be out, so you won't need a laptop (unless you need more than 4 Hrs) or more SxS cards,
I really need one
For the price of PHU-60K i can buy a damn good laptop with card slot.
Can the PHU-60K rewrap files and transfer the files to a usb drive or burn files to dvd or even edit ? No of course it can't,to do any of that you still need to lug a lappy around,so i'd rather spend my money on a laptop.

Paul.
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:39 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
I really need one
Is it possible to hack and replace the PHU-60K internal HDD with a 320GB? If anyone succeed in doing that, he will have 20hrs of continuous shooting. No need to bring laptop. The next question is , what if the PHU-60K internal HDD crash?
John Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Woo View Post
The next question is , what if the PHU-60K internal HDD crash?
The key here is redundancy. Thats why I plan on having two Passport drives that are mirrored with the same footage from the field. The Sony HDD is too expensive to have two of IMO. I just picked up 2 320 GB Passport drives for $120 each. They are only slightly bigger than an iPod and probably weigh less.
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #24
Regular Crew

It depends

David,
in-regards to the Hard drive I would say it depends on how you viewed the footage. If you viewed the clips in the clip browser you would be looking at the Proxy files. So a 5400 rpm file would more then likely not be that big of a deal. But if you get the clips ready to edit and put the MOV wrapper around the MXF file and want to watch that then you might start to see some playback issues.

How do you like the WD passport drives? Do they seem solid to you?

The fact that they are powered by the USB port is nice.
Matthew Pugerude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 08:36 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Yeah, I really just want to be able to screen footage for a client or to check shots back at a hotel. No editing. Still might go with the 7200 anyway. As for the Passport drives I think they are great, practically disposable :-). I would also consider them an option to deliver footage to a client. Haven't used them on the road yet or run a workflow test, I need a new laptop first because my Powerbook doesn't recognize the drives via USB 2.0. I did transfer footage from my MacPro and it was super quick. Not sure exactly how fast because I left the room for a minute and it had finished when I returned. The one thing I wish they had was a second USB port so they could be daisy chained and I could have the SxS reader and two drives connected all at once.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds