DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1 Firmware versions - what they change? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/121280-ex1-firmware-versions-what-they-change.html)

Ed Mellnik May 9th, 2008 03:25 PM

EX1 Firmware versions - what they change?

I have been reading all the posts relating to versions of firmware and backfocus problems but have not found one precise listing that
lays it all out.
SO far it seems to be my impression that cameras with version 1.02 the backfocus is not a problem.
What would be nice to know is what fixes or changes were done
in 1.03 and 1.05

From what I am gathering the newer versions brought on the backfocus problem and some that have sent cameras back for 1.05 fixed the backfocus and some did not.

Anyone have the whole scoop?
My camera has 1.02 and does not appear to have a backfocus problem so what am I missing by not having 1.05?

Jason Bodnar May 9th, 2008 04:39 PM

Well, I have 1.03 and mine does not seem to have the back focus issue but it would be nice to know what the new release actually fixes or adds.

David Schmerin May 9th, 2008 06:20 PM

Added

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Bodnar (Post 874726)
Well, I have 1.03 and mine does not seem to have the back focus issue but it would be nice to know what the new release actually fixes or adds.

I believe one thing the new firmware adds support for is 16G SxS cards.

David Schmerin

Keith Rollinson May 9th, 2008 07:44 PM

Our EX-1 just returned from Sony repair/San Jose -- it is an early SN and had v1.02 SW. It had the mid-focal range vignette problem, and returned vignette-free updated to v.1.05 SW. I've barely used the camera, both as I've been waiting for Avid support for 35MB HQ modes which finally became available last week, and the fact that recent shoots have dictated the F350, as we needed to interface w/ another facility who also have an XDCAM HD studio deck.

Did not notice any back focus issues w/ the original v1.02 SW, but the camera doesn't appear to have acquired any in the RT repair process. The only change I've noticed is the extra MAINTENANCE menu which is now accessible, though I've only played for an hour or so since its return yesterday and could be missing The Big Changes. BTW the 16GBers worked fine on the v1.02 SW, or at least on my camera.

Steven Thomas May 9th, 2008 10:54 PM

Yes, 16GB cards worked on the first release in November 2007.

Mathieu Ghekiere May 10th, 2008 01:21 AM

I have 1.02 and definately have the backfocus problem with ND filters on.

Paul Kellett May 10th, 2008 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere (Post 874891)
I have 1.02 and definately have the backfocus problem with ND filters on.

Do the fix,it's easy.
Demo here

www.vimeo.com/paulkellett

Paul.

Mathieu Ghekiere May 10th, 2008 05:04 AM

Hi Paul, yes I've done that (thanks to your video, and instructions of Gerard) but after it, I noticed that now it was a little bit soft if I shot WITHOUT ND filters, just a very little bit, but I noticed.

Then I performed the test again, and I thought under better condition then the first time, but then I got the same as in the beginning: sharp without ND filters, unsharp with ND filters. If I have time I'll try the test again next week.

Thanks again for your video, it really helped me though.

Paul Kellett May 10th, 2008 05:30 AM

I think firmware 1.05 compensates for the ND filters.
My backfocus is almost fixed now, hardly noticeable so i'm not sending my cam off for that firmware just for a slight (maybe) improvement.
I'll stick with my 1.02 firmware and hopefully update myself if firmware becomes available via usb.

Paul.

Jake Craig May 10th, 2008 10:25 AM

Just got camera with firmware 1.05 and I can confirm:

No back focus, No vignetting, No red problems :-)

Piotr Wozniacki May 10th, 2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Craig (Post 875022)
Just got camera with firmware 1.05 and I can confirm:

No back focus, No vignetting, No red problems :-)

In "no back focus and no vignetting" I believe, but the IR contamination ?!! Somehow cannot imagine it being a fw - solvable problem...

Jake Craig May 10th, 2008 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 875031)
With "no back focus and no vignetting" I believe, but the IR contamination ?!! Somehow cannot imagine it being a fw - solvable problem...

Piotr, I forgot to clarify that my camera is brand new, it came with firmware 1.05.

Just got it 2 weeks ago and I have been doing extensive testing and already used it for a couple of paid jobs. Luckily, no sign of any of the issues I mentioned.

What I noticed is the same problem with the external mic. A weird low rumble that I can only get rid of in post with Audition.

Dave Morrison May 10th, 2008 10:44 AM

I'll be curious to see if they can banish IR problems via firmware, too! I seriously doubt it. I just had to pack up my v1.03 EX1 and send it back because of paint wear and crud inside my lens. I'll be anxious to see if they can fix all the issues.

Piotr Wozniacki May 10th, 2008 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Morrison (Post 875038)
I'll be curious to see if they can banish IR problems via firmware, too! I seriously doubt it. I just had to pack up my v1.03 EX1 and send it back because of paint wear and crud inside my lens. I'll be anxious to see if they can fix all the issues.

Jake,

If the 1.05 fw resolves the IR problem (or your new camera has it resolved in any other way), this is a very important information to all of us. I have already spent a fortune on the 486 filter, which I replaced with its double-threaded version, and am still being informed by Schneider's Ryan Avery that the version I should be using with my Letus setup is the 489...

Should all this confusion prove to be unnecessary, I'd really be p..d off by Sony not updating us on this. Please shoot a piece of black or dark blue clothes in warm (incandescent or tungsten) lighting, and check how the colours are reproduced - posting a pic or two would be nice, too!

Dave Morrison May 10th, 2008 11:48 AM

I shot some test footage last weekend in the studio of a buddy of mine. It was mostly an audio test but I had a Lowel Rifa eXchange softbox to test as well. My friend's black cap came out as a very dark brown color which really surprised me. It was then that I remembered the IR problems that everybody was talking about! What is the preferred method of posting these problems.....via a still frame or putting footage online?

Piotr Wozniacki May 10th, 2008 01:22 PM

Dave,

a still grab is enough.

However, sorry for the confusion - my previous post was intended for Jake, of course. Edited accordingly.

Dave Morrison May 10th, 2008 01:25 PM

Sorry Piotr. I missed the "Jake" part. My IR issue looked like everybody elses.

Jake Craig May 10th, 2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 875058)
Jake,

If the 1.05 fw resolves the IR problem (or your new camera has it resolved in any other way), this is a very important information to all of us. I have already spent a fortune on the 486 filter, which I replaced with its double-threaded version, and am still being informed by Schneider's Ryan Avery that the version I should be using with my Letus setup is the 489...

Should all this confusion prove to be unnecessary, I'd really be p..d off by Sony not updating us on this. Please shoot a piece of black or dark blue clothes in warm (incandescent or tungsten) lighting, and check how the colours are reproduced - posting a pic or two would be nice, too!

No problem, will do that tomorrow.

Geoff Addis May 11th, 2008 08:30 AM

I've just checked my EX1 after it came back from BF adjustment and a Firmware update from 1.03 to 1.05. Although I had not checked for IR response prior to sending the unit back, it appears that I don't have this problem. The camera was checked outside under a clear blue sky, temperature 28C; subjects were black leather briefcase, black trousers and the black webbing on a PortaBrace camera bag. All subjects had been in direct sunlight for several hours and the camera had been white balanced. Time will tell whether the IR problem is still there, but I'm optimistic at the moment!

Geoff

Ola Christoffersson May 11th, 2008 12:28 PM

I thought warm light was the problem - not daylight?

Piotr Wozniacki May 11th, 2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson (Post 875458)
I thought warm light was the problem - not daylight?

Exactly - in daylight, mine has no problems, either.

Dave Morrison May 11th, 2008 12:32 PM

So if that's the case, why not just gel your light sources? Can you use some sort of IR blocking filter over the light ?

Piotr Wozniacki May 11th, 2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Morrison (Post 875461)
So if that's the case, why not just gel your light sources? Can you use some sort of IR blocking filter over the light ?

Do you want me to gel out all light sources everywhere I ever happen to be shooting?

Leonard Levy May 11th, 2008 12:39 PM

Not all black materials will have the same IR issues, so just because something is black doesn't mean you are OK.

Also i would be extremely dubious if this could be fixed with a firmware update - though hope springs eternal.

Does it matter if the black material is under daylight? In Adam Wilt's 3 camera test last month it was all done in a backyard and as I recall there were IR problems from more than one camera on a black shirt.

- Lenny Levy

Piotr Wozniacki May 11th, 2008 12:49 PM

Yes, some materials may cause the IR contamination even in daylight, but most that do, will do it even more in the warm, incendescent lighting (just usual bulbs indoors).

Most will only show it with the latter.

Some (even though black) will not cause it at all; good example: car tyres are usually hot, but they are never rendered brownish!

I am also pretty sure this is NOT firmware-fixable.

Dave Morrison May 11th, 2008 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 875462)
Do you want me to gel out all light sources everywhere I ever happen to be shooting?

Nope, just the ones you have control over.

Piotr Wozniacki May 11th, 2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Morrison (Post 875472)
Nope, just the ones you have control over.

Believe me, that would not be enough.

Geoff Addis May 11th, 2008 04:08 PM

I have to agree that it is most unlikely that it could be fixed in firmware. However having said that I again tested the camera, this time under incandecent lamps and the only way that I could induce a hint of red/brown was by grossly over exposing or by pushing the gain up so much that noise was seen. For this test the subjects were a black laminate finish on a loudspeaker, black piano and a tripod bag. Not conclusive, but I'll try some more objects asap.

Geoff,

Dave Morrison May 11th, 2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 875473)
Believe me, that would not be enough.

The reason I said that was because of the first shots I took with my new EX1 where I saw this IR issue. It was a interview-type setup with a softbox on the subject and a rim/hair light coming from behind the subject. I had complete control over the lighting in this scene. My interviewee was wearing a black baseball cap which photographed as a very dark brown. Instead of putting an IR blocking filter in front of the lens, is there any gel material that I could have added to my lights to block the IR?

Piotr Wozniacki May 12th, 2008 01:15 AM

I hear you, Dave - why don't you just try? I cannot do that myself, as I hardly ever work in such fully controllable environments (most of my artificial light shootings being live concerts).

Besides, I have just replaced my otherwise great on-camera light (the Sony LED) with a regular, halogen lamp from PAG - just because the Sony didn't mix nicely with regular bulbs, especially on people faces; instead of gelling it amber I have chosen a better fit to start with. So, I guess I am a bit reluctant to the idea of gelling...

However, for purely academic reasons, I am interested in your experiment results!

Geoff Addis May 12th, 2008 02:44 AM

I've made some more tests for IR sensitivity. Alas my earlier optimism was unfounded. This time I simply used the light from my PAG light to illuminate the subject and there were signs of IR response. Placing the PAG Dichroic filter in front of the lamp completely cured the problem as to be expected. Surprisingly, the IR response using the PAG was greater than that using the normal domestic incandescent lamps.

Giroud Francois May 12th, 2008 05:35 AM

to make sure everybody understand how IR contamination works, so you can test.
IR contamination is always here, but conditions where you can see it are particular.
1) you must shot fabrics that are reflecting a lot of IR (not necessarily black, but it is where the color shift is the most noticeable)
black Nylon and other synthetic fabrics are well known for displaying this problem.
Others colors can give some problem (not only colorshift but fuzziness) like green plants.

2) The ratio between regular light and IR must be low, or the IR contamination will be hidden. So at noon on full sunny day on the beach where IR and light is at maximum, you would not see any problem.
The same, later in the day (6 or 7pm) and it would be obvious, or the same day , same hour when cloudy.
Because when light level is high, the iris is closing, cutting on light AND IR.
when the light level goes down, the iris is opening more to get more light AND more IR. So the ratio between light and IR is becoming bad.
At worse, since the light level sensor is not driven by IR, you could have some location (indoor events like concert) with low light but lot of IR, where the iris is full open.

We got the same problem with cheap sunglasses.
They just got dark glasses (easy to make) with no filtering capabilities (cutting UV and IR). So if you wear it on the beach or mountain, your eyes feels good better the decreased light level (your iris open more)
But at the same time you eyes get burned, because a lot of UV and IR are entering your eyes (but your eyes cannot feel this until it is too late).

Diego Marcone May 13th, 2008 09:59 AM

Firmware 1.05

Hi! First post here. And first of all I must thank you. It was a really helpfull for me to read your experiences.
So this is my story. I live in Argentina. I bought an EX1 from the oficial Sony Rep here. (Never Owned a camera before) It came with Fw1.03 version. and whith the backfocus problem. fortunately no Vignetting or zoom issues.
So I went to talk with their tech people... Their were not aware that this problem existed. and they weren aware of the firmware update (this happened like a month and a half ago) I showed them the problem. Few days later I talked with one of them and he told me Sony had confirmed the problem and was sending them th update (I had told them I had red that here) and that their would first test it with the cameras they had there and then I could give em mine to correct. So I did...
Now I have it back and its corrected!!
when i went there to pick it up I talked with one of the guys that had put the update. and he gave me a sheet with the following:

Release of PMW-EX1 V1.05

Reaso/Purpose
Function improvment and bug fixes

Function added:
1) Improved operability of jog Dial
When operating the Jog dial, the cursor moves in the unintended direction on the menu.
The operability of Jog dial has been improved
2) Countermeasure against the flange-back shift when turning on the ND filter.
The accuracy of flange-back when turning on the ND has been enhanced.
3) Change of i.LINK Enable menu selection
To save the power, the i.LINK Enable can be salected in the HQ mode so that the HD-SDI can be turned off
When set to i.LINK in the HQ mode, the i. LINK output is not output while the SDI output is turned off.

Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere. I didn't found it.

Paul Kellett May 13th, 2008 10:50 AM

[QUOTE= Few days later I talked with one of them and he told me Sony had confirmed the problem and was sending them th update

Sony have sent them the update ?
I presume you mean Sony have sent them the latest firmware, V1.05.
If so how did sony send it ? V Was it via the internet ?
If so why can't we,the camera owners, have it ?
Can you find out ? Please !!

Paul.

Ed Mellnik June 4th, 2008 03:39 PM

Back from SOny

Just got my camera back from SOny. Took two weeks.
The back focus looks good now. I did not test IR or Red issues prior to sending so I can not atest to what all got changed.

So now I am on 1.05 and for the moment happy.

Ed

Dave Morrison June 4th, 2008 04:59 PM

Got mine back today, too. After they broke my Ch. 1 audio while they were replacing the back plate for the rubbing paint issue, they did the following:

1. fixed my broken audio
2. replaced my lens
3. replaced my ND filter assembly
4. upgraded/fixed the parts necessary for battery drainage issue
5. updated my firmware to 1.05

.....apart from that, there was nothing wrong. ;-)

James Huenergardt June 4th, 2008 05:48 PM

Battery Drainage Fix

Hmm, I wonder if I could send mine in for the battery drainage issue.

Haven't had time to test for backfocus isues.

How long did that take Dave?

Dave Morrison June 4th, 2008 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Huenergardt (Post 888453)
How long did that take Dave?

Less than a week, but that was after I lit some fires under some butts after they broke my camera the last time it was there for service.