EX1 Firmware versions - what they change? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 9th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #1
New Boot

EX1 Firmware versions - what they change?

I have been reading all the posts relating to versions of firmware and backfocus problems but have not found one precise listing that
lays it all out.
SO far it seems to be my impression that cameras with version 1.02 the backfocus is not a problem.
What would be nice to know is what fixes or changes were done
in 1.03 and 1.05

From what I am gathering the newer versions brought on the backfocus problem and some that have sent cameras back for 1.05 fixed the backfocus and some did not.

Anyone have the whole scoop?
My camera has 1.02 and does not appear to have a backfocus problem so what am I missing by not having 1.05?
Ed Mellnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Well, I have 1.03 and mine does not seem to have the back focus issue but it would be nice to know what the new release actually fixes or adds.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Added

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Bodnar View Post
Well, I have 1.03 and mine does not seem to have the back focus issue but it would be nice to know what the new release actually fixes or adds.
I believe one thing the new firmware adds support for is 16G SxS cards.

David Schmerin
David Schmerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Our EX-1 just returned from Sony repair/San Jose -- it is an early SN and had v1.02 SW. It had the mid-focal range vignette problem, and returned vignette-free updated to v.1.05 SW. I've barely used the camera, both as I've been waiting for Avid support for 35MB HQ modes which finally became available last week, and the fact that recent shoots have dictated the F350, as we needed to interface w/ another facility who also have an XDCAM HD studio deck.

Did not notice any back focus issues w/ the original v1.02 SW, but the camera doesn't appear to have acquired any in the RT repair process. The only change I've noticed is the extra MAINTENANCE menu which is now accessible, though I've only played for an hour or so since its return yesterday and could be missing The Big Changes. BTW the 16GBers worked fine on the v1.02 SW, or at least on my camera.
Keith Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #5
Trustee

Yes, 16GB cards worked on the first release in November 2007.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I have 1.02 and definately have the backfocus problem with ND filters on.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:02 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
I have 1.02 and definately have the backfocus problem with ND filters on.

Do the fix,it's easy.
Demo here

www.vimeo.com/paulkellett

Paul.
Old May 10th, 2008, 05:04 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Paul, yes I've done that (thanks to your video, and instructions of Gerard) but after it, I noticed that now it was a little bit soft if I shot WITHOUT ND filters, just a very little bit, but I noticed.

Then I performed the test again, and I thought under better condition then the first time, but then I got the same as in the beginning: sharp without ND filters, unsharp with ND filters. If I have time I'll try the test again next week.

Thanks again for your video, it really helped me though.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 05:30 AM   #9
Trustee

I think firmware 1.05 compensates for the ND filters.
My backfocus is almost fixed now, hardly noticeable so i'm not sending my cam off for that firmware just for a slight (maybe) improvement.
I'll stick with my 1.02 firmware and hopefully update myself if firmware becomes available via usb.

Paul.
Old May 10th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #10
New Boot

Just got camera with firmware 1.05 and I can confirm:

No back focus, No vignetting, No red problems :-)
Jake Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 10:33 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Craig View Post
Just got camera with firmware 1.05 and I can confirm:

No back focus, No vignetting, No red problems :-)
In "no back focus and no vignetting" I believe, but the IR contamination ?!! Somehow cannot imagine it being a fw - solvable problem...

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; May 11th, 2008 at 01:17 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
With "no back focus and no vignetting" I believe, but the IR contamination ?!! Somehow cannot imagine it being a fw - solvable problem...
Piotr, I forgot to clarify that my camera is brand new, it came with firmware 1.05.

Just got it 2 weeks ago and I have been doing extensive testing and already used it for a couple of paid jobs. Luckily, no sign of any of the issues I mentioned.

What I noticed is the same problem with the external mic. A weird low rumble that I can only get rid of in post with Audition.
Jake Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 10:44 AM   #13
Major Player

I'll be curious to see if they can banish IR problems via firmware, too! I seriously doubt it. I just had to pack up my v1.03 EX1 and send it back because of paint wear and crud inside my lens. I'll be anxious to see if they can fix all the issues.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
I'll be curious to see if they can banish IR problems via firmware, too! I seriously doubt it. I just had to pack up my v1.03 EX1 and send it back because of paint wear and crud inside my lens. I'll be anxious to see if they can fix all the issues.
Jake,

If the 1.05 fw resolves the IR problem (or your new camera has it resolved in any other way), this is a very important information to all of us. I have already spent a fortune on the 486 filter, which I replaced with its double-threaded version, and am still being informed by Schneider's Ryan Avery that the version I should be using with my Letus setup is the 489...

Should all this confusion prove to be unnecessary, I'd really be p..d off by Sony not updating us on this. Please shoot a piece of black or dark blue clothes in warm (incandescent or tungsten) lighting, and check how the colours are reproduced - posting a pic or two would be nice, too!

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; May 10th, 2008 at 01:27 PM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #15
Major Player

I shot some test footage last weekend in the studio of a buddy of mine. It was mostly an audio test but I had a Lowel Rifa eXchange softbox to test as well. My friend's black cap came out as a very dark brown color which really surprised me. It was then that I remembered the IR problems that everybody was talking about! What is the preferred method of posting these problems.....via a still frame or putting footage online?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds