EX1 Firmware versions - what they change? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 10th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Dave,

a still grab is enough.

However, sorry for the confusion - my previous post was intended for Jake, of course. Edited accordingly.
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:25 PM   #17
Major Player

Sorry Piotr. I missed the "Jake" part. My IR issue looked like everybody elses.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #18
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Jake,

If the 1.05 fw resolves the IR problem (or your new camera has it resolved in any other way), this is a very important information to all of us. I have already spent a fortune on the 486 filter, which I replaced with its double-threaded version, and am still being informed by Schneider's Ryan Avery that the version I should be using with my Letus setup is the 489...

Should all this confusion prove to be unnecessary, I'd really be p..d off by Sony not updating us on this. Please shoot a piece of black or dark blue clothes in warm (incandescent or tungsten) lighting, and check how the colours are reproduced - posting a pic or two would be nice, too!
No problem, will do that tomorrow.
Jake Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I've just checked my EX1 after it came back from BF adjustment and a Firmware update from 1.03 to 1.05. Although I had not checked for IR response prior to sending the unit back, it appears that I don't have this problem. The camera was checked outside under a clear blue sky, temperature 28C; subjects were black leather briefcase, black trousers and the black webbing on a PortaBrace camera bag. All subjects had been in direct sunlight for several hours and the camera had been white balanced. Time will tell whether the IR problem is still there, but I'm optimistic at the moment!

Geoff
Geoff Addis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #20
Major Player

I thought warm light was the problem - not daylight?
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola Christoffersson View Post
I thought warm light was the problem - not daylight?
Exactly - in daylight, mine has no problems, either.
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #22
Major Player

So if that's the case, why not just gel your light sources? Can you use some sort of IR blocking filter over the light ?
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
So if that's the case, why not just gel your light sources? Can you use some sort of IR blocking filter over the light ?
Do you want me to gel out all light sources everywhere I ever happen to be shooting?
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #24
Trustee

Not all black materials will have the same IR issues, so just because something is black doesn't mean you are OK.

Also i would be extremely dubious if this could be fixed with a firmware update - though hope springs eternal.

Does it matter if the black material is under daylight? In Adam Wilt's 3 camera test last month it was all done in a backyard and as I recall there were IR problems from more than one camera on a black shirt.

- Lenny Levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Yes, some materials may cause the IR contamination even in daylight, but most that do, will do it even more in the warm, incendescent lighting (just usual bulbs indoors).

Most will only show it with the latter.

Some (even though black) will not cause it at all; good example: car tyres are usually hot, but they are never rendered brownish!

I am also pretty sure this is NOT firmware-fixable.
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Do you want me to gel out all light sources everywhere I ever happen to be shooting?
Nope, just the ones you have control over.
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
Nope, just the ones you have control over.
Believe me, that would not be enough.
Old May 11th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #28
Regular Crew

I have to agree that it is most unlikely that it could be fixed in firmware. However having said that I again tested the camera, this time under incandecent lamps and the only way that I could induce a hint of red/brown was by grossly over exposing or by pushing the gain up so much that noise was seen. For this test the subjects were a black laminate finish on a loudspeaker, black piano and a tripod bag. Not conclusive, but I'll try some more objects asap.

Geoff,
Geoff Addis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Believe me, that would not be enough.
The reason I said that was because of the first shots I took with my new EX1 where I saw this IR issue. It was a interview-type setup with a softbox on the subject and a rim/hair light coming from behind the subject. I had complete control over the lighting in this scene. My interviewee was wearing a black baseball cap which photographed as a very dark brown. Instead of putting an IR blocking filter in front of the lens, is there any gel material that I could have added to my lights to block the IR?
Old May 12th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #30
Inner Circle

I hear you, Dave - why don't you just try? I cannot do that myself, as I hardly ever work in such fully controllable environments (most of my artificial light shootings being live concerts).

Besides, I have just replaced my otherwise great on-camera light (the Sony LED) with a regular, halogen lamp from PAG - just because the Sony didn't mix nicely with regular bulbs, especially on people faces; instead of gelling it amber I have chosen a better fit to start with. So, I guess I am a bit reluctant to the idea of gelling...

However, for purely academic reasons, I am interested in your experiment results!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds