XDCAM EX1 Must Have Accessories - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 28th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #31
Major Player

Wow Paul. Thanks!
The dealer is awaiting delivery on it and then will ship.
I'm wondering if I should put the breaks on it and go with a B&W?
I have no access to a big HD monitor and am about to head to Asia for the next few years. I need one good filter. Now what?
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #32
Major Player

Filters Pix

jonathan,

photo has the $88 hoya top of the line uv at 3mm thick
the $113 b&w uv slim MRC coated at 2.5mm thick.
the ring is solid brass and the hood shade does not touch the slim filter, i check with flashlight.

paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bland View Post
Wow Paul. Thanks!
The dealer is awaiting delivery on it and then will ship.
I'm wondering if I should put the breaks on it and go with a B&W?
I have no access to a big HD monitor and am about to head to Asia for the next few years. I need one good filter. Now what?
Attached Thumbnails
XDCAM EX1 Must Have Accessories-img_0343.jpg  
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:39 AM   #33
Major Player

jonathan

took these screen grabs using the low q 1440x1080 at 30p EX1 setting with B&W filter.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...o_displaymodes

paul
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:03 AM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gilmore View Post
I see that Rycote make the Softie in both a normal and a short hair version. They recommend both for camera-mounted applications although they seem to suggest that the short hair is the preferred option.

Does anyone have any experience with either type? Specifically, does the long hair version cause any problems with the lens?
I've got the Rycote softie.
It does appear in the shot when shooting wide, however, i recently got one of the Rode SM5 shock mounts ands this has cured the problem as well as isolating the mic from unwanted sounds.

http://www.videogear.co.uk/images/uploads/SM5.jpg

Paul.
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
I've got the Rycote softie
So is it the short-hair or long-hair Softie you have Paul?
John Gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Paul,

Your website is down (Bandwidth Limit Exceeded); apparently publishing urls draws a heavy toll...

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #37
Trustee

Not my website,just a pic of the mount i use.
Google it and you'll find it no problem.

The website link is not my website.

Paul.
Old May 29th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #38
Major Player

Nice work Paul.
Gotta like the "thin"
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #39
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiu View Post
hoya used to make a thin clear in their Pro1 digital series that claimed to have nearly 99.97% transmission. hoya said that schott glass used by b+w, schneider, and heliopan only goes up to 99%. not sure if any neutral lab did that test. sounds like marketing.

one thing though on the filters with the mrc or as other brand calls it, multi coating. they make cleaning the filter very difficult.

paul
That's the funiest thing I've heard all day. Any raw glass is going to have less than perfect light transmission. Schott glass (used by European filter manufacturers) is the purest glass on the market which is then enhanced by coatings. We (filter manufacturers) use coatings on filters to enhance light transmission as it passes through the filter. The difference in light transmission is based on a combination of the glass quality and coating technology.

B+W filters are made with a special Multi-Resistant-Coating (MRC) that resists scratching from cleaning and dust. This is the most durable coating in the industry. B+W filters also use a brass ring instead of aluminum to prevent cross threading due to changes in heat and cold.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #40
Major Player

ryan,

any difference in using the schneider "clear" with MRC over the "UV" ultra slim with MRC which i bought for our Sony PMW-EX1 cam?

will the clear allow for more resolution over the UV?

a lot of us here with EX1 wants to know from the Schott glass folks....

thanks

paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post
That's the funiest thing I've heard all day. Any raw glass is going to have less than perfect light transmission. Schott glass (used by European filter manufacturers) is the purest glass on the market which is then enhanced by coatings. We (filter manufacturers) use coatings on filters to enhance light transmission as it passes through the filter. The difference in light transmission is based on a combination of the glass quality and coating technology.

B+W filters are made with a special Multi-Resistant-Coating (MRC) that resists scratching from cleaning and dust. This is the most durable coating in the industry. B+W filters also use a brass ring instead of aluminum to prevent cross threading due to changes in heat and cold.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds