Shoot 30fps change to 24fps slow mo in FCP?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 13th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shoot 30fps change to 24fps slow mo in FCP??

I'd like to get sound with my slow motion... so I would like to shoot 30fps and then in FCP some how have the clip playback rate be changed to 24fps which would give me slow motion. I could then fix the sound with a speed change.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Changing speed - just gives your frame blending - not same as shooting 30fps played back at 24fps.

Exporting it to 24fps and reimporting at 24 - doesn't work - as it just dropped the extra frames and plays back at normal speed. Help?!
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 03:31 PM   #2
Major Player

I know there's a way to do it in cinema tools but haven't tried it. You could also export it as 100% jpg frames in it QT Pro and then open the sequence, also in QT pro, at 23.976 fps. Then save the movie.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks! I knew there was an expert out there!
Old May 21st, 2008, 05:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm sorry but I can not get this to work. Anyone else know how to export and re-import footage from 30fps to 24fps (slow motion). Thanks.
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:19 PM   #5
Major Player

1. Find the Quicktime file in the Finder (not in FCP) and double click it to open it in Quicktime Player.

2. Choose File/Export

3. Change the popup at the bottom the the Export dialog to "Movie to Image Sequence"

4. Click Options

5. Select TIFF, or JPG - small window opens

6. Click Options (within the small window). Tiny Window Opens. Set the quality to the best, and the bit depth to the best.

7. Click OK in the tiny window

8. Make sure the frame rate listed matches your source frame rate (29.97fps) Click OK in the small window.

9. Make a new folder where you want to save the (very large) frame sequence. This is a temporary save - you can trash it when you are done.

10. Click the Save button in the Export dialog - the frame sequence will export to your folder.

11. Close the original movie.

12. Select File/Open Image Sequence

13. Find the first frame in the image sequence you created in the folder you created. Select it and click Open.

14. A small dialog pops up. Select the desired frame rate (23.976) and click OK.

15. The movie opens in a new window at the desired frame rate. Save the movie.

16. Save the movie or Export it in the desired codec.

Note that this process involves two compressions and can slightly reduce the quality of the movie. There can also be some slight color shifts that need to be corrected. And time code is lost.

That other technique using Cinema Tools may well be better but I have not explored it.

Last edited by Eric Pascarelli; May 22nd, 2008 at 02:03 PM.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:53 PM   #6
Major Player

[delete this]
Dominik Seibold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:33 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thank you very much Eric. I will give it a shot first thing tomorrow.

I do enjoy recording sound with my slow motion - like crashing waves. Thanks!

UPDATE - IT WORKED!!! WOW thanks... I missed a step or two trying to do this myself.

Last edited by Greg Voevodsky; May 22nd, 2008 at 04:24 PM.
Greg Voevodsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds