EX1 Footage and After Effects CS3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 16th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #1
New Boot

EX1 Footage and After Effects CS3

Now for the second part of the green screen question - we will be shooting some test green screen footage on the EX1, and transferring via FTP to a potential client overseas. The client does not have Final Cut Pro or Premier installed, only After Effects. I am importing the footage into FCP using the XDCAM transfer software. We've had issues with codecs not being present, so how do I tell the client to prepare his system to read the footage in After Effects, or should I transcode it to something else (which I hate to do, since this is a test to determine the "suitability" of the EX1 footage for keying).

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
Robin Remde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Export footage as an uncompressed avi or qt (big file!). That should import into AE with no problem.

Or better yet just send a screen grab, TIFF if you can.
Jim Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

if their CS3 After Effects has latest updates (ver 8.0.0.298 on my MBP) then they should be able to bring in the MP4 file from the BPAV folder...

what more would you need?
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Major Player

Or transcode it to pro res HQ. If you're going to do any serious AE work on the footage it'll have to be transcoded anyway.
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #5
New Boot

Actually, the footage will go into a Raptor system as an image sequence in the real product, but an HVX200 owner told the director that an EX1 is not capable of producing footage that will generate a high quality key (i.e. not 4:2:2). Despite sending him to this and a number of other forums proclaiming the quality of green screen footage coming off of the EX1, they want 10 seconds of sample footage to do a test in After Effects. Unfortunately, since this fellow has already been spooked by the other camera owner, I think if he had any problems importing the footage, it would be a deal killer.

I'm using Final Cut Pro, which installed a group of XDCAM codecs into QuickTime, so I don't have the means to test opening the files in AfterEffects without the codecs already installed by FCP. So I thought I would ask you fine folks for suggesions.... and thanks for the responses!
Robin Remde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #6
Major Player

The safest thing then would be to transcode to Animation. Then you're guaranteed they can open it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds