Rolling Shutter, has it affected you? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 19th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Well this is the problem.

We as freelance videographers and business owners do not always get to choose the surroundings in which we have to operate a camera.

My main point of this post is to try and surmise if the issues are showstoppers are quick, non-attention drawing blips.

When I test the camera at a shop, it is hard to recreate live events ect...

This is a tough position.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Myself and Steve Connor shot an airshow at the weekend with an EX1 and an F350. I just been checking through my 60fps EX1 shots of Spitfires and the Eurofighter Typhoon and I can't see any issues. Even when following the Eurofighter with ground rushing through the shot the motion looks normal to me.

I'll post some examples from both cameras on my server tomorrow.
Old May 19th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Showstoppers for me! Go into a shop, put the camera on a tripod in 1080/25P and pan fairly fast back and forth and you'll see the effect in the LCD. Put a Z7 on a tripod in 1080/25P and it'll be different. If you do, let us know if I'm right - I'm prepared to be wrong, but fairly confident!
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #19
Major Player

"What would everybody say about filming live sporting events with the EX-1?

Tim, I just got back from filming a bunch of Motocross racing and the footage is spectacular...Especially the 60p slow mo shots. I performed some quick pans both on tripod and handheld with no issues. I shot 1080p and 720 24p overcranked to 60p.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Steve, I think everyone understands that you don't like the way the EX1 looks. Let me post some clips so that others can make their own judgement.

Using the built in LCD to make picture quality judgments is not clever. The EX1 LCD is known to have flicker of it's own, most visible when shooting in bright sunlight. To judge the true quality of an image you need a known reference monitor that can accurately and correctly display the images you want to compare. You should display all your comparative material on that same known reference monitor at the same time, under the same conditions. To suggest going into a shop and spraying cameras around with fast pans at 25p and then to say one is better than the other on the basis of images displayed on 2 totally different LCD's with different characteristics is nonsense. Why do you feel the Z7 will be so different? they both use CMOS sensors with the same Exmor technology.
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Sorry Alister, I thought the Z7 was CCD, my mistake. OK so try it with a JVC200 then. I can clearly see a very disturbing effect on pans on the LCD.
You may have a point about the LCD screen too, though I'm not trying to judge picture quality, just the motion artefacts. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to view it on HD monitor or in edit suite at the moment, and I know that would be preferable. But I noticed this issue independently of reading anything about it, then looked into it and found that it wasn't just my imagination.
I am a bit perplexed by the whole thing, and would love to be wrong, but what I saw was very worrying for the sort of work I do. I haven't tried a Z7, but I know that doing the same shots on an HPX2100 did not produce results like that at all, they were totally as I would expect them to be.
Steve
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #22
Major Player

Lets see what Alister manages to post shortly, following a Eurofighter Typhoon at 300 miles an hour should produce the effect Steve is talking about shouldn't it?
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Definitely, as long as it's got some background. Can I add that it's not true to say that I don't like the images from the EX as Alister suggests, I do. In fact I would even go so as to say that I thought single frame grabs that I took were possibly the best I'd seen from ANY video camera, bar none, well up there anyway.
Just look at the "owrst case scenario" tests that have been done, though, and no-one can deny that there's a noteworthy issue at the least and a fatal flaw for some. Have you seen the helicopter hot in Barry Green's article?
Steve
Old May 19th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #24
Major Player

The shots should have good amount of cloud background as well as the grass airfield in frame also.

I prefer to judge things from my own experience, not other peoples "articles"
Steve Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Thanks for your replies so far.

I am looking forward to seeing the footage.

This issue is important to us all, so maybe we can get to the bottom of it with this thread.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Connor View Post
The shots should have good amount of cloud background as well as the grass airfield in frame also.

I prefer to judge things from my own experience, not other peoples "articles"
I agree 10,000,000%.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #27
Trustee

No, it's an issue...
It's just that it's real old news for many EX1 owners.
Hence, minimal replies.

Again, there's cameras that cost 3X the EX1 that have the same problem and they are used in highend production.

By the way, Barry Green (who wrote the article you referenced) also owns the RED ONE which has the same issues, but a tad less than the EX1.

Last edited by Steven Thomas; May 20th, 2008 at 05:59 AM.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #28
Inner Circle

This is a very interesting discussion, and I thought I'd drop my $0.03 in - totally agree with Alister; in real life situations / shooting scenarios, I never ONCE came across results that would be unacceptable because of the rolling shutter nature of the EX1 sensors. Also, the other "problem" so often discussed - the motion stuttering in 24/25p modes being allegedly more pronounced with the EX1 than with other comparable cameras - has never been any of a problem to me, ever since I learned my camera movements must be really slow (or the subject followed, with background deliberately blurred with the help of correct shutter speed and/or controlled DOF).
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:31 AM   #29
Major Player

I posted that footage when I got my first EX1 last November, the shot was set up to show if the the rolling shutter 'skew' effect existed in the EX1 which was one of the first to be sold.

I can honestly say that since then I have never encountered it again, maybe it's just the way I shoot, fast pans like that for me are very rare, and when you do perform them the chance of seeing the effect on background imagery is quite slim. Any pans when shooting in 24/25p require slow movement to avoid juddering (strobing) anyway.

Paul.
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #30
Regular Crew

I have owned an EX1 since Feb and so far done a few events and wedding. Overall I am quite satisfied but not so on the handling. I always have sored thumb after holding it for a full day. The rolling shutter has not been an issue also except for the partial flash exposure which can be easily corrected by overlayed a 50% opaque white frame. Although this is easily done, but takes another 10-15 minutes of my time especially when rushing to complete the morning montage.
John Woo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds