Balancing an EX1 on a sachtler DV 6 SB at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 2nd, 2008, 01:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Balancing an EX1 on a sachtler DV 6 SB

Has anyone else had problems balancing the EX1 on the sachtler 6 SB?

I have the camera plate oriented so that the camera is as far forward as possible but the EX1 is still slightly rear-heavy with the standard battery. With the large battery the effect is very pronounced.

I know you can get a CoG plate from sachtler, which I assume mounts on top of the standard plate, so maybe that's the way forward.

I just wanted to see if others have experienced the same problem, since there seems to be quite a few of you out there with same equipment configuration.
John Gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 06:25 PM   #2
Major Player

john,

Is this the DV6-SB with 10 counterbalance settings with 5 drag steps?
Could it be something wrong with the head itself?

paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gilmore View Post
Has anyone else had problems balancing the EX1 on the sachtler 6 SB?

I have the camera plate oriented so that the camera is as far forward as possible but the EX1 is still slightly rear-heavy with the standard battery. With the large battery the effect is very pronounced.

I know you can get a CoG plate from sachtler, which I assume mounts on top of the standard plate, so maybe that's the way forward.

I just wanted to see if others have experienced the same problem, since there seems to be quite a few of you out there with same equipment configuration.
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 07:19 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm using an FSB6 and not having any problem at all.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:10 PM   #4
Major Player

I had the same issue on a DV8.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiu View Post
Is this the DV6-SB with 10 counterbalance settings with 5 drag steps?
Could it be something wrong with the head itself?
paul
Yes, that's the head.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the head. Without the camera, the head itself seems quite well balanced. It naturally tends to a rearward weight bias because of the pan bar, but apart from that it seems OK.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I'm using an FSB6 and not having any problem at all.
That's a different head, I have the DV 6 SB.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:21 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Pascarelli View Post
I had the same issue on a DV8.
How did you resolve that Eric? Did you use a CoG plate?
Old June 3rd, 2008, 03:18 AM   #8
Major Player

Never resolved it - I use a Cartoni Focus. It was a friend's DV8 that I was trying.

I think it cold be solved with an additional slider, but I never tried.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:30 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Given the weight range of FSB6 and DV6 I'm surprised DV6 is so much trouble. I thought about getting DV6 but they both have 10 counter balance settings. Difference is between 3 and 5 drag settings.

Typically all I have on my camera is large battery, ECM 680s shotgun, clear glass filter and sometimes Sennheiser G2 wireless receiver.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:23 AM   #10
Major Player

i played with the DV6sb at B&H for nearly half an hour and with the 10 + 5 or up to 50 settings, i could not find any trouble with my EX1, which had the U60, an ultra slim B+W UV (nearly zero weight), and a sony ecm673.
i think i had it at 6 counterbalance and 3 on the horizontal dial.
here, the EX1 held the vertical with zero drift or fade and easily tilt up or down with one hand.

i am trying to find a place with the system 0650 in stock at the moment but wondering if i should get the new sachtler soom legs with the head.

paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Given the weight range of FSB6 and DV6 I'm surprised DV6 is so much trouble. I thought about getting DV6 but they both have 10 counter balance settings. Difference is between 3 and 5 drag settings.

Typically all I have on my camera is large battery, ECM 680s shotgun, clear glass filter and sometimes Sennheiser G2 wireless receiver.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:09 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I guess I'm not saying that it's unusable. Even on a counterbalance setting of '2' (with the small battery) there's no movement after release of the pan bar.

But if you set the counterbalance to '1', or off completely, you can easily tell that it's not fully balanced. The effect is only slight with the small battery but more pronounced with the large battery.

I don't see it as a major issue and I'm quite sure the CoG plate will address this. I was really only posting to make sure I wasn't doing something obviously wrong with the setup.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:23 AM   #12
Major Player

oh no John, you're on the right track

i can say that after i tested many heads, including the manfrotto 503HDV, the 519, 526, Gitzo G1380, and the Miller DS-20, and Arrow 25 with the EX1 last week, the DV6SB for under $1,500 was the one i picked as i liked the ability to go back to a numbered position with the weight and combination of stuff on top. namely, many of the other great heads are "dials" that need to be tightened or loosen to a degree for that counterbalance and I am not assured where i last left it. with the sachtler dials, i can.

sure, some of the others have numbers too, like the manfrottos, but i ended up with the sachtler. the dv8 was too much for the EX1.

paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gilmore View Post
I guess I'm not saying that it's unusable. Even on a counterbalance setting of '2' (with the small battery) there's no movement after release of the pan bar.

But if you set the counterbalance to '1', or off completely, you can easily tell that it's not fully balanced. The effect is only slight with the small battery but more pronounced with the large battery.

I don't see it as a major issue and I'm quite sure the CoG plate will address this. I was really only posting to make sure I wasn't doing something obviously wrong with the setup.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM   #13
Inner Circle

On some of the Sachtler heads if you unscrew the allen bolt on the top plate you can slide the sliding plate right off and mount it back to front which changed the balance range. Not sure if it'll work with your one, not familiar with the lightweight heads, but have done it with Video 18, 20 and 25, but not the "plus" models.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:51 AM   #14
Inner Circle

With FSB6 with drags set to 0 and counter balance set to 1, I find setting the plate to about 65ish (depends what's on camera) and it stays level.

In other words I set camera to balance where nothing is holding it there but the camera's weight. Then the counter balance sets how easy/difficult it'll bounce back to its center when tilted up/down.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 12:10 PM   #15
Trustee

Paul, I've been trying to find someone who has compared a DS-20 with an Arrow 25. Any thoughts?

I am thinking about it with a 35mm and zoom lens + a monitor so the weight is more than the Ex-1 alone.

Lenny
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds