The case of the missing screws at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 9th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

The case of the missing screws

I received my EX1 about two weeks ago and am very pleased. One thing puzzled me for a couple of days though. The top handle felt a little flimsy as if I could separate the top portion of the handle from the bottom. I thought this was strange as it didn't reflect the quality of the rest of the camera. Then I got so occupied with playing and learning that I sort of forgot about it. Upon closer inspection however, I see the problem. There are screws missing from the top handle. Not just the one in the middle, but the one up by the microphone as well. I wonder if the handle screw person on the Sony assembly line was sick the day they made my camera or what.

What to do? Can I get those screws from Sony or is there another supplier that will work? Has anyone else had this issue?
Mark Willey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

First time I've heard of it. I'd send photos showing where the screws are missing to the people you bought from and get them to sort it out or you could send it back and claim it as a damaged item too. That ain't good.
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Me TOO!!

I was going to post about this as well. My top handle feels like it is "loose" but I thought that was just the way it is.

Just the other day I had an issue putting in a battery and found a tiny screw stuck into one of the receiving slots that mount the battery to the cam.

It was one of four spots that have screws inside the "battery bay". Two of the screws were gone leaving only two in place to secure that part of the case to the internals I guess.

I baby this thing and have not dropped it or anything like that. It has a nice big padded bag (porta brace) so it has a good life. HMMM I am going to send it in ASAP but it will be hard to send this thing back.
Mike Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds