Recording to nNovia/VTR in the field at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 9th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recording to nNovia/VTR in the field

This has probably been answered in previous posts somewhere, but I searched the forum for over 12 seconds and couldn't find anything, so here goes. I am shooting a conference in Spain at the end of the year for a client who is shooting everything else on Z1's. I don't know whether he has a grasp on solid state workflow, and is expecting me to shoot all day for two weeks. I can't take large amounts of storage with me, and I am unsure of whether I will have the opportunity during the shoot to dump any stuff onto my laptop. I am also limited by the fact that I only have a 16gig and two 8 gig cards. I have done several jobs for clients using their Z1's and nNovia HD recorders and they seem ok. Has anyone used one with the EX1, or do you recommend getting an HDV/DV recorder?
Shaun R Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Major Player

recorders ...

Sony Professional HVRM15U HDV Record/Playback Deck using (shooting standard Def) Panasonic Super DVC tapes 4.5 hours or DVCam tapes 2~3 hours or (HD recording) HDV tapes. $2,000 investment but if you do conferences this might be a good investment. It's served me well.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Major Player

Can anybody confirm that the EX1 will always output an SD signal out of the AV Out jack? I also have a long conference coming up too and I have access to a JVC BR-DV3000 deck that will take miniDV and DV tapes and I'd like to have a good long-running SD backup source. Will this work?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
Can anybody confirm that the EX1 will always output an SD signal out of the AV Out jack? I also have a long conference coming up too and I have access to a JVC BR-DV3000 deck that will take miniDV and DV tapes and I'd like to have a good long-running SD backup source. Will this work?
Why wouldn't it work? Just keep in mind that you must set the YPbPr/SDI Out Select menu setting to Off, if not, you will have signal in the components jack, but not in the standard composite jack.

And don't forget to turn off the Video Out Display and set the right Down Converter setting (Squeeze for anamorphic 16:9, Edge Crop for standard 4:3, and Letterbox for... well, you know it, you like it ;-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds