Samples using Sony 10-20 watt light and ECM-680s stereo mike at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 10th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #1
Major Player

Samples using Sony 10-20 watt light and ECM-680s stereo mike

these samples show my poor handling of the manual focus under short distances and my inability to control the color balance.
i also get this low hum i believe maybe the air conditioner close by or perhaps even the sony hvl-20dw2 light on the hotshoe.

still, i wonder why:

1. the color balance keep on changing after i press the color balance button under the lens

2. why the aperture knob does not allow me to turn it under manual.
it kept turning back to 2.8 when i tried to overexpose at 1.9

3. this low hum and distorted sound from the ecm-680s under "auto" levels for both channel 1 and 2.

here are the clips:

http://www.vimeo.com/1145988

there is a 1920x1080 version on the page for download. vimeo shows only 1280x720 and that is shaky when played on the site.

http://www.vimeo.com/1146968

thanks,

paul
Paul Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:10 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiu View Post
these samples show my poor handling of the manual focus under short distances and my inability to control the color balance.
i also get this low hum i believe maybe the air conditioner close by or perhaps even the sony hvl-20dw2 light on the hotshoe.

still, i wonder why:

1. the color balance keep on changing after i press the color balance button under the lens

3. this low hum and distorted sound from the ecm-680s under "auto" levels for both channel 1 and 2.

here are the clips:

there is a 1920x1080 version on the page for download. vimeo shows only 1280x720 and that is shaky when played on the site.

thanks,

paul
Not sure about the color problem, but the "hum" definitely sounds like A/C made louder by the AGC of the camera to my ears.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chiu View Post

still, i wonder why:

here are the clips:

thanks,

paul
I'm guessing that you had the full auto button activated when you shot this.

1. The Auto white balance sensed the daylight coming through the window when you panned the camera and it readjusted the color.
2. This happens when full auto is engaged.
3. Unlikely its the light. (which by the way is causing your mic to cast a shadow) Probably the A/C as you said.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #4
Major Player

i just got my LED light from LitePanels, the Litepanels micro kit.

those samples above with the sony 10/20 watts lite even at 10watts was just too bright for the EX1.
way too much blooming on the girl's forehead.

and when there is too much light, the EX1 gets to such sharpness that make most people uncomfortable with the raw look of the video. too forensic!
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:49 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Another rule.
Never use Auto anything (there's some very RARE exceptions).
Don't use AGC on the audio unless you have a reason to (uncontrolled audio environment with wide dynamic range).

Color changes because sunlight and indoor light are different temperatures. Either use manual white balance or use preset (or create a preset with Picture Profile).

When your subject is not moving across focus planes, zoom in and focus first. Focus will then hold through entire zoom range. In some rare cases you can use auto if subject is moving across focal planes and you can track precisely. The Vortex DVD actually gives one example. The EX1 is probably the easiest small HD camera to focus on the market given its features and quality.

Vimeo converts HD to 24p and does a lousy job of it IMHO. They moved to 30p briefly but claim that most internet connections can handle the decode.

I use the Sony 10/20 on my PD-170. It's not a great light and it's even worse for HD. Look at Sony's own HD light (there's some issues with it though) or maybe Zyke light.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #6
Major Player

Craig,

i am getting that vortex dvd tomorrow from b&h...

zyke light for camcorders? can't google zyke?

is it better than Litepanel's LED?

did the audio from the samples seem normal to you from the ecm680s, even under "auto".
slightly distorted as you say with auto, yes. any suggestions to level? method with EX1?

paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Another rule.
Never use Auto anything (there's some very RARE exceptions).
Don't use AGC on the audio unless you have a reason to (uncontrolled audio environment with wide dynamic range).

Color changes because sunlight and indoor light are different temperatures. Either use manual white balance or use preset (or create a preset with Picture Profile).

When your subject is not moving across focus planes, zoom in and focus first. Focus will then hold through entire zoom range. In some rare cases you can use auto if subject is moving across focal planes and you can track precisely. The Vortex DVD actually gives one example. The EX1 is probably the easiest small HD camera to focus on the market given its features and quality.

Vimeo converts HD to 24p and does a lousy job of it IMHO. They moved to 30p briefly but claim that most internet connections can handle the decode.

I use the Sony 10/20 on my PD-170. It's not a great light and it's even worse for HD. Look at Sony's own HD light (there's some issues with it though) or maybe Zyke light.
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I guess Craig means the Zylight?
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks for catching that Piotr. Zylight it is.

I don't like that the Sony light is "daylight" color temperature. Zylight has significant color temp control (at significant cost though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
I guess Craig means the Zylight?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Thanks for catching that Piotr. Zylight it is.

I don't like that the Sony light is "daylight" color temperature. Zylight has significant color temp control (at significant cost though).
Fully agreed - I just sold the Sony's LED along with my old good V1E, for this very reason. Very cold, bluish faces - unless gelled amber, which denies its efficiency.
Old June 10th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #10
Major Player

what temp setting for zylight?

craig and piotr,

what temp do you dial in on your zylights?
which model for the EX1?

thanks
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #11
Major Player

Paul,

I have the lite panels micro and it works very well. You will need to use the 1/4 orange gel filter to warm it slightly - but it does a good job for fill lighting. The zylight is much more expensive, but the pick of the crop for on camera EX1 lights. Give the lite panels a go before you invest heavily in the zylight, it might well do the job you want.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds