any advice re shooting stop-frame animation? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 10th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #1
Major Player

any advice re shooting stop-frame animation?

Hi there,
I've never done this before, so I'd love some advice, especially if anything pertains to any special EX1 settings.
I've got to shoot a title for a series on literacy, so I purchased a box of those magnetic words (people make their own poems, I think, and put them on their refrigerators). I've cut the words up into letters, and I want to shoot them in such a way that a big jumble of letters becomes the name of the literacy organization...
I thought I'd work backwards, that is (after locking off the camera), first shoot the organization's name in the middle of the jumble of letters. Then I'll remove a few of the letters of the name, and shoot a few more frames, then remove a few more letters, etc. Then when I edit these shots in reverse, it'll look like these words are forming...
Is this the way to go about it? Is there a way to set up my EX1 (which I'm loving, by the way) to make this work especially well?
Thanks for any advice...
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You can use the stop-motion setting of the EX1 for what you want to do... I'm not sure if you need much more advice than that, seems like you got it figured out. Maybe I'm not understanding your question?
Gabriel Florit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #3
Major Player

No, that was it, Gabriel. I'll now go looking for the stop-motion setting. Thanks, Malcolm
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #4
Major Player

You guys are going to hate me, but I just went looking for a stop-motion setting, and I don't see one.
Does someone have the patience to explain? I'm sure it's something else, and I'm being too literal.
Thanks, malcolm
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I don't have the camera in front of me, so this might not be accurate - but I think there's a setting in the Camera Menu. You'll probably need a stable tripod and the remote.
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #6
Major Player

O.K... there's an Interval Record setting, which is currently off, but I can turn it on. If this is indeed the right setting to play with, what should the 'Interval Time' be set at? (right now it's at 1 second)
What should I set the 'Number of Frames' at?
Thanks for your help,
Malcolm
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

That's time-lapse.

You'll have to go back to the manual for this one... sorry! I haven't gotten around to stop-motion yet. Just got my camera this past Friday.
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #8
Major Player

Gabriel, thank you. I just downloaded the manual, and it's quite simple, as you say:
- attach camera to tripod
- use the IR Remote
- select Frame Recording in the Camera Set menu, turn it on, and choose the number of frames you want the camera to record each time you hit the Start button.
I've chosen 1 frame, which is hope is good.
Thanks again for your help,
Malcolm
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Malcolm, just remember to set the Iris to manual so you dont get any change in lighting while animating.
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #10
Major Player

thanks Alexander... I have iris set to manual... my only problem now is that the IR remote commander isn't working. I have it switched on in the menu... so (I just read the manual to look for something I've overlooked), since I have everything in the right place, it must be that the battery is dead. I can't think of anything else.
Malcolm
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #11
Regular Crew

The IR Remote is pretty useless really. The reason it isnt working is probably because of It has to be pointed to the sensor somewhere in front of the camera. Are you pointing it from behind? It wont work. You have to be around the front so you end up nearly getting in the shot every time. Its probably designed for one man show reporting where the camera man and presenter are the same person. If stopmotion is not something you do regularily you can probably get by with this awkward device. Im also going to be doing a lot of stopmotiona nd will be looking for a cable remote soon.
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Also I'd probably suggest doing more than just 1 frame per motion, unless you want an insanely fast movement. Maybe something like 4-12 frames? 1 frame will be too fast in most cases.
Old June 11th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #13
Major Player

Hi guys... Alexander, I did in fact stand beside, behind and in front of the camera, and the IR remote didn't work in any position. Can you tell me where to get a cable remote?
Gabriel, I'd recorded the stop-frame before getting your last post... so I did go 1 frame, and actually, for what I'm doing, it works really well (I agree, it would be too fast for other situations).
Thanks so much,
Malcolm
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:24 AM   #14
Regular Crew

The remote will work. I had trouble figuring it out myself, but I've done a few of these animations now with great results. First, make sure that the protective plastic is out of the remote--it's a small clear plastic strip that is between the battery and the contacts to keep the remote battery from discharging before the camera is shipped. It should come out really easy and you probably have already taken it out. Next, make sure that the IR remote is enabled in the menu. It turns off every time you power down the camera. Then do what others have said and put the camera in "frame" recording and push the record button on the camera. The red tally light will be on, but the camera will just be waiting for you to record individual frames. Get in front of the camera. You don't even have to be close. On the remote, push the record button and the blank black button next to record at the same time. It will seem as if nothing is happening. However, if someone looks at the lcd screen, they would notice that the standby light blinks every time you hit record, and it is indeed recording. The far right number on the time code display is showing seconds rather than frames. It won't advance until you've crossed over 1 second. Again, it seems like nothing is happening, but it is. I'm sure after a little bit of testing you will be able to make it work.
Patrick Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Back in my film days we were shooting 24 fps and doing a stop frame change every 3 frames for claymation type work.
Looked good.

kj
Kevin Wayne Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds