EX1 - Low Headphone Volume? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 12th, 2008, 03:58 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Paul.

For starters, the EX1's mic input trim level is an issue completely separate from what has been discussed here (i.e. the Sennheiser G2 receiver's sensitivity, which needs some trimming with MOST cameras - not just the EX1).

As you can read in the couple of other threads in this forum, dealing with the distortions people (myself included) are SOMETIMES getting with various mics on the EX1 - this is related to the not very well implemented limiter's activity. For instance, when the input is overdriven by the low-freq wind rumble, it is accompanied by high-freq, chirping distortion.

In my own experience (as well as that of Mr. Bass Pig, Craig Seeman and others) - the only way to get rid of it is trimming your mic input really hard (like down to some - 30's or even -20's), and use the output gain control to compensate when the sound level seems too low (sometimes you will also need to compensate for it in the NLE you're using - fortunately enough, the quality of EX1 sound is good enough to not introduce too much noise, as the headroom is usually high enough).
Old June 12th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #17
Trustee

Thanks Piotr.
I'll start experimenting !

Paul.
Old June 12th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Piotr.
I then read somewhere, i think on this forum , that the best way to set up the trim was to set the external cam external wheel to manual/midway (5), then set the trim to an acceptable level, this way it's then possible to go up to 10 or down to 0, thus giving plenty of room for quick adjustment if needed.
Paul.
That might have been me. I found that my G2's worked best with the following settings beginning with the transmitter's Sensitivity @ -10dB, the receiver's AF Out @ +00dB, the EX1's internal menu TRIM setting @ -20dBu. This is done with the external level controls set to "5" as you noted above. Works for me......YMMV.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds