ex1 on steadicam this weekend... Q's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 17th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #1
Tourist

ex1 on steadicam this weekend... Q's

hi all

im on a music promo this weekend with the ex1 + wide angle lens.
any ex1 owner/operators out there have tips for this camera? any issues to be aware of?

Is there a Lanc input on it so i can use a zoom control?

many thanks
morgs
Morgan Lowndes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #2
Trustee

Morgan, i use the Libec zc9-ex controller.
Very happy with it.

If you ever need a hand on any shoots then give me a shout.

Paul.
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #3
Inner Circle

here's some info on a zoom control for you. No focus control that I've seen.

Zoom Controller for the Sony PWM-EX1
Item # PZC9EC
Price $259.95

This Zoom Controller is made specifically for the Sony PMW EX1 video camera with it's unique connection interface.
The PZC9EX zoom controller complements the the Sony PMW -EX1 to give you the best HD workflow solution.

The PZC9EX zoom controller will allow you to control the record/pause and it gives you a smooth variable zoom. The zoom speed is variable from the slowest to the fastest speeds by the zoom rocker control.

The zoom controller clamps on to virtually all tripod handles, monopods and other devices. The PMW- EX1 zoom controller can clamp on any diameter tripod handle from .39" to 1.18".

30" Cable is included
Clamp Distance is .39" to 1.18 inches
Controls Record/Pause
Variable Zoom Control
While this zoom controller was specifically made for the Sony PMW-EX1 video camera, it is also compatible with Fujinon and Canon lenses (you just need to remove the EX1 adaptor) and can be utilized to control the zoom for ordinary ENG cameras with an 8 pin connection.
NOTE: For Fujinon and other lenses that have a 12 pin terminal, you will need to special order the A-12P optional adapter cable.

This zoom controller is made by Libec for
the Sony PMW-EX1 video camera.
Warranties are handled through Libec

Hours M-F from 10am to 5 PM EST.

Product Questions Call
Tech Support Call
Tech Questions
386-788-6075
386-788-6075
386-788-6075 Info/Orders Phone Ordering ONLY
386-788-6075
800-788-0068

Prices and Availability are subject to change with notice.
All photos or products mentioned are copyrighted/registered trademarks of their respective companies. International Orders Click Here. Studio 1, Studio 1 Productions and Studio 1 Store are trademarks of Studio 1 Productions Inc. Other trademarks of Studio 1 Productions Inc. Return Policy. This page is Copyright © 2008 Studio 1 Productions Inc. All rights reserved. Last modified: Friday May 16, 2008.

BTW, they are NOT a DVi sponsor but I've done some business with them and they're pretty good. However they are in Florida USA. You might be able to find this piece a little closer to home. ;-)

Don

Last edited by Don Bloom; August 26th, 2009 at 08:24 PM.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Anybody heard any rumblings about an adapter to use the 8 pin zoom controllers with the EX series?

I have some of the Libec controllers with the 8 pin input.

They are o.k., but nothing like the Canon grip zoom control I use.

Too bad one can not use the pro controllers with the EX since the lens is made by Fuji, it makes such a difference in the footage.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #5
Wrangler

What is the cable like that connects the zoom control to the camera? Did they make it nice and flexible? Cables are always a drag (literally--pun intended--etc) with stabilizers.
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #6
Trustee

Charles, the cable isn't a coiled cable. Also the cable is the same as the controller prior to the EX1, Libec have just added a short converted piece of cable which plugs onto the old plug. So in theory, if someone owns the earlier model of Libec controller then that person should be able to just buy the short convertor piece. The piece is about 100mm long.

Paul.
Old June 18th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #7
Wrangler

Gotcha--the concern I had was for Morgan (original poster) who was going to be using this on a Steadicam (not sure which model). Coiled or not, most multi-connector cables are not particularly flexible and this can wreak a lot of havoc on a Steadicam, particularly the smaller models.
Old June 18th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #8
Major Player

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but why did my old Canon XL1's LANC lens control have SO many more control options using only an 1/8th" plug while the Varizoon 8-pin controller can only control 3 functions?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #9
Major Player

Because the EX1 interface is limited that way...

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 04:59 AM   #10
Inner Circle

most all if not all cameras that use a professional type lens (Fuji or Canon typically) have an seperate control which controls zoom only. Focus is another controller and iris is set either by the control room if the cameramis running CCU or the operator if running stand alone.
The smaller cameras that use LANC such as the GL1/2, PD150/170, VX2000/2100 all use electronics lens that have internal circuits to them that can be controlled by a single controller plugged into the camera.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 05:27 PM   #11
Tourist

thanks for the replies guys

i have a lanc control with a very thin cable that is great for the rig, was hoping that it would fit! had one shot where we needed a little zoom out at the start - ended up using the remote control! (if a remote can control the lens ok why not put a lanc in there?)

anyways, shoot went well. tried one shot on autofocus - reminded me of the first generation of 35mm SLRS with autofocus! this was one of the very first ex1s in the UK, has the autofocus got any better?

thanks
m
Morgan Lowndes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #12
Trustee

i think u have to be on manual. The focus hunts a bit if the subject is not locked in the center
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds