Over exposure with Cine1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 18th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #16
Major Player

Probably we should differentiate between clipping and over-exposed. Data is lost in clipping, whereas over-exposed is more of a judgement that a region of interest has been given too much. Skin tone rendition is quite sensitive to exposure so possibly we should be considering RGB response curves rather than the total (as in my curves). On those curves, it may be of interest to consider the image brightness region of 60-70% and transfer that via the gamma curves to subject brightness, and so see the effect of working with one or other curve. How does that affect skin tone rendition? For now that's a question that I'm thinking about!
In the general context, how much compression of highlights is too much? If you cannot recover in post what you want, then too much. There is a big difference between shooting for post and shooting for direct display.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #17

y......a......w.....n
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #18
Major Player

Hmmm...........
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #19
Trustee

C'mon Bill,

Is this conversation really dumber than the average thread on this board?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 12:08 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
C'mon Bill,

Is this conversation really dumber than the average thread on this board?
How about the settings Levy? Thanks.

To Bill: Don't get your nose too high. Sky is a busy space. A plane might just hit you in the head.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #21
Major Player

Who is Bill Ravens? ;)
Dominik Seibold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Message deleted by the poster.

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; June 19th, 2008 at 11:26 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #23

changes in attitude, changes in latitude

Last edited by Bill Ravens; June 19th, 2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Just a kind request - please enlighten me, instead of

y......a......w.....n

-ing

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; June 19th, 2008 at 12:30 PM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #25
Trustee

I don't what the history of your beef is with each other guys, or Bill's is with the discussion here, but these forums only work if a certain level of respect is maintained. Please pay attention to your attitude.
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
I don't what the history of your beef is with each other guys, or Bill's is with the discussion here, but these forums only work if a certain level of respect is maintained. Please pay attention to your attitude.
You're right, Lenny.
Old June 19th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #27
Trustee

Personal attacks apart, you got me thinking about the standard gammas Levy. I would still be interested in the settings you are using, if you don't mind. Thanks.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #28
Trustee

Here goes from memory though as I don't have the camera near.- This is basically just a variation on "out of the box" so that the basic look works correctly.

Std gamma 3
Black - 6
matrix - I haven't played with enough yet - I tend to use hi sat but maybe normal sat with some elevated red is better. My buddy likes to use Bill Raven's matrix settings but scaled back quite a bit.

Low sat + 9 ( I thought the sat in the low areas was too flat so I picked it up)

Knee I think was 92 or 93 with slope 0 and no change to knee sat. I think I tried slope a little higher and liked it ( +12 or so?) but I lost that setting and don't remember it.
(I don't like the auto knee - its very aggressive which is fine except that if you pan past bright objects the compression will change in the middle of the shot - not good and not like any auto knee I ever used before.)

no change to black gamma

There's nothing brilliant or carefully tested about this though. Maybe I'll end up changing it later. I haven't done nearly as much work with the camera as I'd like yet.
I was just looking for a standard set-up I could use in any situation. I could imagine going to a Cine gamma for some exteriors esp without people.

If you try it let me know how it compares to what you have been doing. I need to play with settings more.

Lenny
Old June 19th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #29

my sincerest apologies for being so intolerant.
I do my best to share, even if I can be wrong from time to time. Approaching such a widely variable camera as the EX1 is both a challenge and a continuous learning experience. It's somewhat unfortunate that Sony Corp. takes such a whimsical attitude as they do, but, they do what they do. I suppose that leaves the user to muddle thru the best way to use what they gave us.

There really are two user communities, I think. One is run-and-gun, the other is stage production, or something like that, where time and thought can go into the shoot. Certainly understanding the infinite detail of a camera's application has value. Yet, when you're shooting in the field, you go with what you can get.

Ansel Adams, whom I'm sure you all recognize as a famous photographer, was a technical genius. Yet one of his most famous shots, "Moon over Hernandez", which was shot very close to where I live, was taken by instinct, because the sun was setting, the moon rising, and there was no time for analysis of the setup.

That's my point. I am sorry that my one word response to this thread was intimidating to some, and yes, even rude. And I don't mean to belittle the concerted effort by many to understand the workings of the EX1. But, I am discovering, even in the world of commercial cinema, there are problems that overshadow the desire to deliver the minutest of technical correctness/exactness. I suppose a really good DP, just knows this stuff in his/her sleep without needing to analyze it ad infinitum. But, I, for one, still need to be analytical, methodical and deliberate. My own workflow is to understand the camera well enough that I can shoot from the hip and get back to my editing studio with footage that is usable in post. I may not squeeze that final bit of dynamic range out of the cam, but, I won't blow the hi-lights. I think I'd much rather crush the blacks, but, perfect exposure is a fleeting goal in all but the most controlled of lighting scenarios.

Sorry for the diatribe, and for hijacking this thread. My apologies. Perhaps it's a good thing I'm more of an editor than a videographer.

Last edited by Bill Ravens; June 19th, 2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
My apologies.
I go along with your view that equipment is for making films rather than for analysis. One needs to understand how to get the needed results, and generally that comes with experience rather than through technical review of every little thing. In some instances debate about certain aspects goes off in unhelpful directions, and then it can be useful to try to put a floor under the discussion.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds