How to extract the best quality from Z1 footage to match EX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 24th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to extract the best quality from Z1 footage to match EX1?

I had posted this same thread a couple of days ago in the Z1 forum, but as nobody there seems to be interested in it, I'll ask to you, dear EX1 users...

I have to edit a video that has been shooted with two cameras, a Z1 and an EX1. The EX1 was set to 1080/25p and the Z1 had the Cineframe mode on. I will edit it on a Final Cut Pro station.

My question is: how to handle the Z1 footage to give it maximum sharpness and make the color artifacts invisible?

Here's what I have found after plaing with FCP for a while:
- The Flicker filter gives away with the color artifacts, but it makes the Y channel a bit soft (obviously).
- If I put the Z1 clips in a 25p sequence with Prores 422 codec and no fields, FCP save the Y channel information, but the aliasing in vivid colors is still evident.

Anyone knows how could I work on the YCbCr channels separately and then put them together again? This is to put different filters in the CbCr channels without affecting the Y channel. The different composition modes that FCP provides cannot do this (at least I haven't discovered how to do it).
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lorente View Post
Anyone knows how could I work on the YCbCr channels separately and then put them together again?
Combustion, Shake, After Effects and even Photoshop CS3 Extended? Any decent compositing software should do the trick
Old June 24th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, I know, but I don't have anyone of these programs, except Photoshop. But there's more than 2 hours of footage to work with, so converting them to stills to work in Photoshop is out of the question.

Is there any way of doing this in Final Cut, with a plug-in filter or something?
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Well I've only read briefly about this, but there is a $199 plugin for FCP called Conduit http://www.dvgarage.com/prod/prod.php?prod=conduit2

Check this video: http://69.36.12.13/samples/conduit15...nnels_v150.mov

Also for Photoshop, if you have CS3 Extended version, there is no need for converting to stills. You can open, edit, render video clips... link http://tv.adobe.com do a search for Layers TV - Episode 40... it may shed some insight.

Last edited by Andrew Hollister; June 24th, 2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: price change
Andrew Hollister is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds