wide-angle lens question (Sony, Zunow, Schneider?) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 30th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #31
Major Player

update re Cavision's ("Available Soon") .7x zoom-through converter for the EX-1.

Just got an email, with this description and price:
"Three-element zoom through .7x converter with bayonet mount for Sony PMW-EX1. Please note: this converter will create a small amount of vignetting at the corners of the frame (outside 90% safety zone)"
price: $1,345 U.S.
That's pretty expensive, isn't it?

They also have a .7x wide-angle adapter ($359) and a .5x wide-angle adapter ($599), both with bayonet-clamp mounts.

Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #32
Inner Circle

I agree, the UWL is about a 0.55x converter that's devoid of any barrel distortion. If you know a spectacle firm you might be able to take the element and have it coated - it would be well worth while. Mine flares even if there's a bit of white paper (say) in the shot.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 12:53 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Williams View Post
I have to admit I'm a Century fan - we did extensive testing of w/a lenses for the PD & Z1 cameras and the Century 0.7 was by far the best. In particular the Z1P image quality was miraculously enhanced by the addition of the
I have to agree with Mal here.
I visited CVP when I had a Z1 and both the proprietor (Phil) and myself were shocked by the superiority of the Century 0.7 over the competition.

But it appears we're talking about an animal that's not actually available!

For me, full zoom-through is essential.
1) When you're in a hurry to grab a shot (happens to us all from time to time) you may not always notice if you're just on the edge of soft - until it's too late.

2) The EX1's Fujinon is soft and suffers chronic barrel distortion at full wide, so it's far better to use a touch of zoom together with a very high quality wideangle to ensure you're sharp and distortion-free.

I can't prove it, particularly because I owned a Panasonic HVX200 after the Z1 but I'd swear the Z1 had less barrel than the EX1.

When I swapped the Z1 for the HVX (bad move) I was disappointed to notice the barrel distortion (I'm an ex professional product photographer and I hadn't noticed any on the Z1) and when I swapped the HVX for the EX1 I was hoping it would be barrel-free, but no.

Barrel distortion is something we shouldn't have to put up with. As previously stated, it's amateurish and for me, very disappointing in a camera that otherwise produces such stunning quality images.
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:34 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Come on Guys, the EX1 is budget HD camera. A couple of years ago an HD lens with the performance of the one on the EX1 would have cost three or four times as much as the whole EX1 camera/lens assembly. In it's price range the EX1 has the best lens there is by a long way. Sony could have produced the EX1 with a longer focal length and no barrel distortion, but most people want a wide lens. You can't expect a Ferrari when you are only paying Fiat 500 money.

Mine isn't soft when fully wide and while there is some barrel distortion it certainly isn't chronic. It is soooo much easier to make lenses for stills cameras than video cameras. Stills lenses don't have to perfectly track focus through the zoom range (and rarely do). You almost never get the kind of zoom ratios on a stills lens seen on video lenses and stills lenses don't have different backfocus distances for the red green and blue channels and prism issues to deal with.

My Canon KH20x6.4 HD lens cost a lot more than my EX1, yet it is no better than the Fujinon on the EX1. If you think the EX1 lens is so bad then trade in your EX1 and buy an EX3 and stick that perfect lens your hoping to find without spending $10k on it.
Old July 1st, 2008, 02:02 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Come on Guys, the EX1 is budget HD camera. A couple of years ago an HD lens with the performance of the one on the EX1 would have cost three or four times as much as the whole EX1 camera/lens assembly.
I quite agree Alister.
I'm simply saying that for me, I'd prefer a little less WA and no barrel distortion.

The EX1 is sensational value for money. I should know, I had a Panasonic HVX200 - positively prehistoric compared with the EX1. I had a Z1 before that, and a PD170 before that. I haven't yet ventured into the fully professional cam market and to be honest, for the type of work I do, I couldn't use one because they're too cumbersome.

But please allow me to express my opinion. There are cheap and nasty features on the EX1 that I find embarrassing (Sony must have a reason for including them). One is the barrel distortion. Mostly, they don't matter and with care you can avoid them. But if you need a wider view of your subject and you're in a hurry, you're probably going to zoom right back - and (because you have a million other things to think about at the time you're shooting) probably won't remember the barrel distortion until you're watching the footage in post.

To use your analogy, if you're going to sell a car that has the looks and speed of a Ferrari but sells for the price of a Fiat 500, why make it unusable at high speed because the steering's unstable?

But PLEASE don't get the idea I think this camera is anything other than awesome!
I consider myself lucky to be able to shoot the quality I currently do - and at last, I have a video camera I can actually FOCUS!
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:15 AM   #36
Inner Circle

But I don't have any problem with my EX1 fully wide. It's not soft and what barrel distortion there is only shows up if you have strong vertical or horizontal lines in the picture, in most cases it's perfectly useable. If you don't want the distortion zoom in a bit, no one is forcing you to use it, that's just self discipline, same with a car, just because it can do 100mph doesn't mean you have to.
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:25 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
just because it can do 100mph doesn't mean you have to.
Sorry.
I'll have to bow out here, I was unaware that Sony's policy was to build cameras with lenses they didn't intend people to use fully wide.
Old July 1st, 2008, 09:54 AM   #38
Major Player

Has anybody here been able to figure out what the "Wide Converter" setting does in the menu (not sure of exact wordage...not with my EX1 right now)? Does this cause the zoom control to inhibit the movement of the lens internals to compensate for this problem...or what? Since I don't have a wide adapter (and plan to get one), I'd love to know what this menu selection acutally does.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:17 AM   #39
Inner Circle

hello
as said above here are the picture made with and without the lens.
http://www.giroud2.com/divers/GA1.jpg
http://www.giroud2.com/divers/GA2.jpg
http://www.giroud2.com/divers/GA3.jpg
http://www.giroud2.com/divers/GA4.jpg
http://www.giroud2.com/divers/GA5.jpg
http://www.giroud2.com/divers/GA6.jpg
http://www.giroud2.com/divers/GA7.jpg
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:08 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Thanks Giroud it looks nice. I do see some curvature in the door jam but not much considering the price.

I ordered the Sony .8x today and the Century fisheye both will be here on Monday. I need both for a shoot next week so I had to make a decision quickly.

Next step might be a 35mm adapter.
Old July 10th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Sony wide angle arrived and first test look great. Also the Century fisheye arrived and I can not get focus in any mood. Getting two jobs out the door so I will try in more detail next week and post findings.
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:38 AM   #42
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

[QUOTE=Alister Chapman;901394]Come on Guys, the EX1 is budget HD camera. A couple of years ago an HD lens with the performance of the one on the EX1 would have cost three or four times as much as the whole EX1 camera/lens assembly. In it's price range the EX1 has the best lens there is by a long way. Sony could have produced the EX1 with a longer focal length and no barrel distortion, but most people want a wide lens. You can't expect a Ferrari when you are only paying Fiat 500 money.QUOTE]

Someone promote this man.
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #43
Major Player

I'm glad you like the Sony w.a., Paul. I had a look at one myself the other day... I also like what I saw. It does add some weight to the front of the camera though (might need to start working out). I'm still sitting on the fence; still considering the .7 Cavision - - I raised the issue of Quality Control with someone at Cavision, and was told they now have three quality control checks before a customer gets one. They're out of stock at the moment.
If I do take the plunge, I'll report back on this thread.
Cheers,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #44
Major Player

Sony WA

Malcolm, I also have the Sony .8 and use it regularly. All shots here were done with it as are most on our site.
http://www.keystv.com/dynamic/?locat...=528&pageNum=1

Good price...a bit heavy, bad sun shade.
Best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #45
Major Player

Paul or Craig can you post a pic or two showing screen shot with and without Sony WA... I am thinking of getting one but want to see just how much wider it really gets.... I have a century optics on my old VX2000 which is awsome and am still hoping their next release will work without issue with the EX1.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds