How to Obtain the 3 yr. Sony Extended Warranty on the EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 25th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #1
Major Player

How to Obtain the 3 yr. Sony Extended Warranty on the EX1

I just finished registering my new extended warranty with Sony Professional and thought I would explain the steps necessary to obtain it. In the US, the 3 year extended warranty has a list price of $159.95. The website doesn't really explain how to obtain it so I contacted Sony via e-mail and they explained how to go about it.

You must purchase the warranty through an authorized dealer. My authorized dealer never heard of it so I gave him the official Sony product code for the extended warranty. Then he was able to find out about it.

The product code for the three year extended warranty is SPSCAM10RSEW3.

That is what you need to tell your dealer so they can order the warranty. Mine charged list price (which is reasonable anyway) at $159.95. The warranty came in a huge box via UPS with air pillow packs on the top and bottom of the piece of paper which is the warranty. I have never seen anything like it in my life.

You have 30 days to fill it out and register it once it comes and you may do it online here:

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/son...greements.aspx

You have to register for Services Plus to register the warranty. Services Plus is actually primarily for parts and repair contracts and even they didn't realize when I called them that the extended warranty information and registration was linked to their division on the Sony website.

If you like you can fax the warranty to them at 1- (408) 352-4160

Note: I am not sure if you can purchase the warranty if you bought the camera more than 30 days ago, but it may be worth asking as long as you can find someone who actually knows the answer.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Major Player

I see that a lot of people have looked at this post, but no one has responded. Not sure whether the post is helpful or not. If the forum moderator feels that this post will help future purchasers perhaps he may want to make it a "sticky".

John
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Oh yea John.... I should have said thanks but instead like i'm sure lots of other
folks I just copy/pasted it into an email that I sent to myself as a reminder when
I will need to use the great info...

Thanks again.. :-)

and yes, it should be a stickey...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the post.
I'm also interrested to have the same warranty in France... anyone gone through the same path there ?
Old June 27th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #5
Major Player

Dido for Canada, where dealers demand $500 extra for this extended warranty. More interesting is that I have yet to find a Canadian dealer who is willing to provide any details on what this extended warranty covers. A case in point is, who pays the shipping and insurance expenses when the camera must go in the Sony repair depot - say for a firmware upgrade, which is due next month. Mom's the word in this country. Would the real Sony please step forward and enlighten us?

The real rub is that in Canada, the EX1 and now the EX3 are already $1500 more than in the United States. So how they justify an extra $500 for another two years of warranty is beyond me? Dammed frustrating!
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #6
Trustee

I'd like to know the warranty terms before buying it.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 08:33 AM   #7
Trustee

John, I see you're in NY. Would you be interested in this?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=124753

I've been doing HD for years, but I don't own EX1 at this time.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
John, I see you're in NY. Would you be interested in this?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=124753

I've been doing HD for years, but I don't own EX1 at this time.
Thanks for the offer Alex. What I really need to do is to learn the camera first. I have been so busy with recent jobs using my VX2000 that I have barely been able to test the EX1 and I have had it for a month. Dell took forever to send me the laptop and I am still waiting for the other 8GB SxS card. When I have at least learned the camera enough to feel comfortable using it, I might be interested in something like that.

John
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
Dido for Canada, where dealers demand $500 extra for this extended warranty. More interesting is that I have yet to find a Canadian dealer who is willing to provide any details on what this extended warranty covers. A case in point is, who pays the shipping and insurance expenses when the camera must go in the Sony repair depot - say for a firmware upgrade, which is due next month. Mom's the word in this country. Would the real Sony please step forward and enlighten us?

The real rub is that in Canada, the EX1 and now the EX3 are already $1500 more than in the United States. So how they justify an extra $500 for another two years of warranty is beyond me? Dammed frustrating!
The terms of the Sony extended warranty are that it is the same as the regular 1-year warranty extended an extra two years. They explain it here:

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-SPSCAM10RSEW3/

Note: Covers parts and labor for defects in materials and workmanship; excludes wear and tear; any parts warranty periods based on usage are not extended by this warranty. - Sony pays return shipping

I also noticed that when you go to the B&H page for the camera only the expensive third party warranty is right there staring at you, but if you scroll down and look at the offered accessories they have the Sony warranty listed there and you can click on it to buy it. It takes you to this page:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Warranty.html

John

EDIT: Barry, I searched Sony, Canada and several of the vendors up there. It appears that Sony does not offer their own extended warranty in Canada. I could not find it on the Sony Professional site for Canada. What I found was third party extended warranties like Mack and Service Protection Plus.

http://cgi.ebay.it/4YR-MACK-EXTENDED...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.vistek.ca/about/warranty.aspx

Last edited by John Peterson; June 27th, 2008 at 12:01 PM.
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
I have been so busy with recent jobs ... that I have barely been able to test the EX1
John
Sure thing John, let me know when you feel like it, and thanks for the warranty info!
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
EDIT: Barry, I searched Sony, Canada and several of the vendors up there. It appears that Sony does not offer their own extended warranty in Canada. I could not find it on the Sony Professional site for Canada. What I found was third party extended warranties like Mack and Service Protection Plus.
Sony Canada must have one because I personally received a quote for an extended warranty from the local Matrix dealer in the amount of $500.00. I asked to see the terms and the sales person would not comply, saying I'd have to purchase a camera first. At that point, I walked out the door with no need for further negotiations. As I said above, "Go Figure!" Perhaps you are right that all he was doing was quote a Mack warranty in which case "it is smoke and mirrors" stuff.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds