Viefinder problem !! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 25th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Tourist

Viefinder problem !!

The viewfinder is very poor on this camera. I have found by lowering the brightness the picture is inproved !!! Buttttt Both my camers will not store the setting. Is there a firmwere update for this thanks Barry
Barry Wilkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't think anyone uses the EX1's viewfinder. It's worthless - and the LCD is so amazing I don't miss the viewfinder.
Gabriel Florit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Florit View Post
I don't think anyone uses the EX1's viewfinder. It's worthless - and the LCD is so amazing I don't miss the viewfinder.
That's because it's dark where you live 9 months of the year. ;)
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Florit View Post
I don't think anyone uses the EX1's viewfinder. It's worthless -
is it that bad? So the camera would be useless in a "run and gun" situation because looking at the lcd is in that case not really an option?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
is it that bad? So the camera would be useless in a "run and gun" situation because looking at the lcd is in that case not really an option?
No, it's not as bad as that! It is the same resolution as that on the Z1 (and I expect V1 etc) and none of those showed enough detail for focusing. The LCD is so much better that most people use that as their primary finder, which is the path taken with the EX3 (it has only the LCD). What you need is a hood for the LCD plus loupe, and there is at least one commercial source for one customised to the EX1. You need a shoulder mount anyway for run-n-gun (although you can manage without), so you just have to offset the mounting to use the LCD.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #6
Tourist

Viewfinder

I have a Z! and no way is this viewfinder as good ! The EX1 has a strange peaking that puts a white halo round things why? and will not store brightness settings. Will a firmwere update fix this cheers Barry
Barry Wilkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Wilkes View Post
I have a Z! and no way is this viewfinder as good ! The EX1 has a strange peaking that puts a white halo round things why? and will not store brightness settings. Will a firmwere update fix this cheers Barry
There are 3 statements in this, so:
1) doing a side by side comparison with peaking off they look much the same to me (neither good).
2) my EX stores the EVF settings OK
3) the peaking just highlights the edges in focus, so that can look like a halo. Try reducing the intensity of peaking. Or the colour, if you don't like white.

The only point is that you can shoot using the EVF, but you can't rely on it for focusing or more than seeing what is in frame. It is likely that in run-n-gun that auto focus would be more reliable than manually using the EVF, even with peaking on. The LCD offers far greater utility.
Old June 27th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #8
New Boot

With respect to Serena who's advice has benefited me on several occasions FOR THE LOVE OF GOD don't leave the EX1 on auto focus in a run-n-gun situation. I understand that Serena's trying to steer you away from using the EVF but the EX1's auto focus will not just disappoint - it will stab you in the back! I shoot reality shows, mostly of the cop variety and I can guarantee the auto focus will stitch you up if you give it the opportunity. I've found the auto focus on the EX1 to be unreliable in every shooting condition regardless of aperture, available light and in a variety of light sources. Even in bright sunlight at f8 I've seen the auto focus 'hunting' on scenes where there's been some clear vertical and horizontal lines and flat surfaces to focus on. I totally agree that the EVF is a waste of space but why not use the LCD? I like to keep the camera nice n high so eyelines are more accurate and I find the LCD works great. Why not use it?
I also have a Z1 and I use the EVF a fair bit, I hadn't noticed that it was really bad but then the LCD isn't very good either.

Cheers Mal
Mal Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Williams View Post
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD don't leave the EX1 on auto focus in a run-n-gun situation. I understand that Serena's trying to steer you away from using the EVF but the EX1's auto focus will not just disappoint - it will stab you in the back!
Cheers Mal
Have to admit I haven't used auto focus (guess I must have tried it when I got the camera) so I'm happy to bow to your experience. Of course the EVF will also lead one astray in focus. So we're in complete agreement!
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #10
Trustee

I'm sorry to read the auto focus is not good. In my limited use it is undependable.

The problem is, you can't use the LCD in every situation either. You can't see it in bright daylight. A viewfinder remains indespensible, no getting around that.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds