final cut workflow issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 27th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #1
New Boot

final cut workflow issue

I shoot almost exclusively at 1080/24p/VBR. How should I set up my timeline/sequence, and how should I be exporting?

As of now I have set the "easy setup" to the default 1080p/24/VBR setting, with a timeline set to 23.97.

When I go to export quicktime conversion, I can't seem to find any setting that exports anything that looks remotely close to what it is supposed to.
Alex Gutterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 07:00 AM   #2
New Boot

Bump --

Note -- I am willing to use any form of export, and my quicktime movies (self contained mind you) wind up playing find, however they are in the same format as my timeline (1080/24p/VBR), therefore useless in terms of communication.
Old June 28th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Alex...

Grab a clip from a bin and drop it onto a sequence. When FCP asks if you want the sequence to match the clip, say "yes".

When exporting, tell FCP to use "current settings".

That should work. If not, shout for help!
Old June 29th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #4
New Boot

The only thing I can do that works...

Is export a quicktime file that can be replayed in compressor or final-cut very nicely. However when I try to play it on quicktime itself there is color loss, frame-rate glitches, and overall degradation.

It also never asks me if I want for the sequence to match the clip.

So...

::HELP::

T.Y.
Old June 29th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #5
New Boot

To be more specific, when I export from FCP and try to watch the video on QT the frame rate becomes horrendous and the first thing that happens is the picture is lightened. In addition, the same problem occurs in Compressor every-time I try to preview an export.

As of now my sequence and footage are both set at the same setting (the default 1080p/24/VBR) that I had mentioned earlier.
Old June 29th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Without knowing your full system specs and software versions it's really hard to offer advice. You might also explain EXACTLY how you are exporting the file step by step. You might also explain your intended results. Some things aren't making sense like using both Quicktime Conversion and Compressor.

WHAT is your goal?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Alex,

Try the following:
In FCP,
File / Export / Quicktime Movie...

Set 'Setting' to Current Settings

That will get you a .mov that will play on your system using the same settings as your Timeline in FCP.

Depending on what you want to do with it from there, you will need to open it in Quicktime Player and 'Export' it. Here is what I do to prep a .mp4 movie for Vimeo or ExposureRoom:
In Quicktime Player,
I do File / Export, set 'Export' to Movie for MPEG-4. Go to 'Options', for 'Video Format' select H.264. for a 720p movie, I do 3500 for the Data Rate.

Give that a try and let us know what you get.

Scott K.
Scott Karlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 05:18 PM   #8
Major Player

Preferences

Somewhere in the preferences part that is supposed to ask you if you want to change your sequence to match you clip is off. Find it and fix that.

When you go to export via quicktime movie it won't prompt you with a box. Just look closely at what pops up and you will notice the default setting for the video part is "current settings"

There are a few people that like to change things here and others that say leave it at current. I have spent many hours tyring different ones but all really just butcher the original footage :(

I think it is what we have to deal with as more compression is added.

Sorry I'm not that full of technically perfect jargon but I hope we are speaking the same language :)
Mike Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds