Fastest workflow XDCAM to SD PAL on FCP? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 5th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Fastest workflow XDCAM to SD PAL on FCP?

Dear experts,

I am considering an EX1 or EX3 to do ENG work. Most of my clients would like to have SD 16:9 or 4:3. What is the fastest workflow with acceptable result?

Thanks /E
Erik Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Palm View Post
Most of my clients would like to have SD 16:9 or 4:3. What is the fastest workflow
Probably NOT the EX1 or EX3.
You will have to convert XDCAM to SD and that takes a lot of time.

You may be better with a camera line the Sony Z1 which will shoot in HDV but give you the option to downconvert to SD. It's the best downconversion possible (hardware rather than software) but of course, the Z1 is vastly inferior to the EX1 / 3 when it comes to operator friendliness.

For sheer quality of footage, the EX also wins hands down, but your question was about fastest workflow not quality.

I'd be interested to hear what others think on this.
Old July 5th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

New software this month (Clip Browser 2.0 I think) will have it built in... (or maybe its an add-on?)

Prolly wont be too bad, depending on your machine. currently for me, its not bad at all on a MacBook Pro.
Old July 6th, 2008, 01:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I have converted HDV to SD on FCP and that takes quite some time too. 20 minutes for 4-5 minutes on a MacbookPro 2,4 GHz 2GB RAM. How long would it take to convert 4-5 minutes of XDCAM?
Old July 6th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Clip Browser converts to DV!

"The Clip Browser software supplied with each XDCAM EX camcorder is expected to be upgraded to version 2.0 this summer. Enhancements will include the capability to use XDCAM EX content within a DV editing workflow."
http://www.sony.se/biz/view/ShowCont...veContext=true

I wonder how quickly it converts the XDCAM files and if it also crops them to 4:3?
Old July 6th, 2008, 03:55 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Dear experts,

I am considering an EX1 or EX3 to do ENG work. Most of my clients would like to have SD 16:9 or 4:3. What is the fastest workflow with acceptable result?

Thanks /E
Erik - for ENG you'll most likely want a shoulder mount camera. If your clients want SD 16:9 or 4:3, the DSR450 or a used DSR570 would be perfect.
Old July 6th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
I have converted HDV to SD on FCP and that takes quite some time too. 20 minutes for 4-5 minutes on a MacbookPro 2,4 GHz 2GB RAM. How long would it take to convert 4-5 minutes of XDCAM?
My best results have been achieved with an app called MPEGStreamClip. It does the best down convert I've ever seen. Very fast, very sharp results. You can get it here:
www.squared5.com ... and it's free for Mac as well as for Win :-)

FYI the next version of the Bitevice MPEG2 encoder will also be able to downconvert from HD to SD. First samples are very promising.

Best P.
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds