Best Mobile Hard Disk - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 9th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Malone View Post
What has been the experience with Firewire 800 vs 400?
I'm in a slightly different situation to Sean.

My laptop has only Firewire 400 and I'm trying to decide between a G-Drive 5400 and 7200.

Do you think I'd realise any significant improvement with the 7200 over a Firewire 400 connection?
John Gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #17
Major Player

I just had a Lacie rugged go down on me, turns out the SATA connector inside simply came off! not great. I run 4 of these and they seem OK but I'm now switching to the G-drive raid mini http://www.g-technology.com/products/G-RAID-mini.cfm which gives me raid0.

I also use a Drobo for archive and just noticed they have a new firewire 800 version http://www.drobo.com/

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #18
Major Player

I agree with Torv & Dave--stay away from LaCie. I lost 2 weeks of work when a Big Disk died, and customer service could have cared less. G-Techs have worked flawlessly ever since.
Mike Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #19
Major Player

I have a G-Drive (mini?) that I bought for Time Machine when I upgraded to Leopard last year and it's been great. I spoke with their people at MacWorld and got a very good impression of their company and people. That doesn't mean the tning won't break down, but I feel a WHOLE lot more confident that they'd help me out if I needed help. LaCie couldn't care less about their customers.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Freecom 500GB Pro (with Firewire 800/400/USB)

I've bought this one - it's not arrived yet but I have an older version that has been flawless (so far). It's basically a 7200 rpm Samsung drive inside with Firewire 800 option which should work well with my new Macbook Pro. My older Freecom 500GB external drive is just USB. Sure, this type of drive is not highly portable but it's easy enough for my needs.

I've tended to be very picky with the choice of manufacturers for my numerous external drives (only buying Samsung/Hitachi/Seagate ones and....so far....no problems!). Opps, I forgot, I do have an old WD one (only 160GB) - still going strong too.

http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/reviews...-drive-pro.htm

There is a very good overview of the relative speeds (real world that is!!!) of USB 2, Firewire 400 and 800 in this linked review too - as an earlier poster (Sean) was asking about this. Also, I would not want a drive that is slower than 7200 rpm for my HD video stuff either. For ease and versatility these kinds of drives are ideal but if you want really fast performance you have to go for different technologies for connection of external drives I think (eSATA etc.) The G-Raid Mini and Drobo links from Dan looks interesting for sure - thanks for that!

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; July 9th, 2008 at 03:32 PM.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds