Using Nikon still lenses on the EX3 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Closed Thread

Old December 12th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #31
Major Player

Marten, I have a 300mm 2.8ED, and an EX3 as well. Although my MTF adapter is not here yet, I am excited as all get-out to try the two together. I wouldn't worry too much about your problems. You can shoot around them. First of all your sample shot is just about the worst condition you could ever shoot under. I mean, if you wanted to show a camera/lens combo's worst traits - you'd shoot a tree branch against a bright white snow background, over exposed, wide open. Maybe the EX3 and the stock lens can handle that better than your Nikon, I'm not sure. I haven't shot with it much at all yet. But my guess would be it's not perfect under those conditions either. While Steve is right, we're pushing the image rendering envelope with this combination (big lens/small chip) I can speak from a lot of experience using these lenses and an even smaller chip (1/3" HD200). Trust me, you can get great results. Stop the lens down a bit and "Go away from the light....."

http://www.reelsense.net/HD-200/JVC-...bs/Mallard.tif
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #32
Trustee

What is the magnification factor when using 35mm lenses. I know with the Canon XL it is X7. Does anyone have a link to where I can buy the nikon lens adaptor.
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Vincent it is 5.5x on the EX3 with MTF adapter.
MTF Services Ltd
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #34
Trustee

Thanks Paul, I knew hanging on to my collection of Nikkor lenses was going to pay off one day.
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Vincent, Les Bosher also does one Les Bosher - Camera Engineer

Good advice from Eric, one thing to add though is be wary of stopping down too far as diffraction kicks in real early with smaller chips, and going below f5.6 or at most f8 will probably get you mushy results (again according to the science at least! In fact I think optical science would put the diffraction limits of a 1/3" chip probably down at about f4).
Also these big fast telephotos are supposed to be computed to give just about maximum performance wide open or about 1/2 - 1 stop down.
Steve
Old December 12th, 2008, 08:33 AM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Vincent, Les Bosher also does one Les Bosher - Camera Engineer
Thanks Steve, I didn't see any prices I tried to ring but it is engaged.
Old December 12th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Les charges about £250 or so. I had one done a couple of weks ago, it's a simple metal adapter that utilises the EX3-1/2" adapter that comes with the camera. Haven't tried it yet but looks good.
Steve
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #38
Major Player

Steve, if you don't mind, can you shed any light on why the small chips muck the images up when you're stopped down? I wasn't aware of this, and have sometimes mysteriously struggled to get crisp images. Maybe this is why?
Old December 13th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Nikon Lens Question & another good site for lens info

Hi -

I usually shoot 35mm still images with a Nikon d300 and have found the following site to also be very useful with regard to Nikon lens and equipment evaluations (It usually has a more subdued evaluation of the lenses than you will find on kens site, however, both are very helpful):

Lens Evaluations

(The link to his home page is: http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html )

Recently, I purchased an ex3 and was considering the mtf adaptor, however, I was curious to know whether any of you own the nikon 80-400 lens and what sort of results you got with it on the ex3. One of its advantages, if I recall correctly, is that it weighs slightly less than the ex3 stock lens - but, unfortunately is f4-5.6.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Old December 13th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gulbransen View Post
Marten, I have a 300mm 2.8ED, and an EX3 as well. Although my MTF adapter is not here yet, I am excited as all get-out to try the two together.
It will be interesting to hear how yours turn out. I'm dissapointed that it performes so bad under these conditions. I live in snowy contry during many months and it's difficult to avoid these situations... In the beginning I thought it was my lenses but I guess I have to accept the situation. When everybody says they get great performance with nikon lenses and I don't, it's not fun. Of all 6 nikon lenses tested so far all of them are to me unusable wide open with the EX3 even under better circumstances then my sample picture. They turn out very soft wide open. I have a 50/1.2 which I hoped to use quite a bit, but even stopped down it's almost unusable.
Old December 13th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #41
Major Player

Martin, maybe try using filters up front?
Old December 13th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Eric, the exact science is a bit beyond me but you can find some very complex descriptions by Googling.
But basically as the aperture gets smaller the light rays spread wider. The larger the film or sensor the less problematic this spread as it's not as wide relative to the film size. This is why if you shoot 10x8" film you can quite easily use f45 with no problems, but an APS-C size digital camera like a Canon EOS20D might be limited to f11 before it starts to soften, and a tiny chip like a 1/3" will be even more problematic.
Steve
Old March 22nd, 2009, 01:13 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Ofer and others,

Now having shot with the EX3 for several months using Nikon long telephotos, how much of an issue are you seeing with wobble from the rolling shutter. Barry Green had a good article saying it will be especially noticeable with using long telephotos---I just wanted to see if you can confirm this. It is one of the determining factors of me going with the EX3 or possibly the JVC HM700 (CCDs).
Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:13 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Harryman View Post
Ofer and others,

Now having shot with the EX3 for several months using Nikon long telephotos, how much of an issue are you seeing with wobble from the rolling shutter. Barry Green had a good article saying it will be especially noticeable with using long telephotos---I just wanted to see if you can confirm this. It is one of the determining factors of me going with the EX3 or possibly the JVC HM700 (CCDs).
Hi Steve,
I have been using the Mike Tapa adapter with a selection of long Nikon lenses for the last six months or so and I am thrilled with the results. I only use it for wildlife and haven't noticed any issues at all.
Check out Mike's adapter - an awesome device and now in a great price:
Nikon to Sony EX3 adaptor

Cheers,

Ofer
Ofer Levy Photography
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:15 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Thanks Ofer. Good to know. I have been concerned about the potential for CMOS Wobble or Jello-effect using a long telephoto with a CMOS sensor. Have you had any shots where you panned at long telephoto or do you shoot mainly static shots? I suspect in the long lens pans is where the problem of jello would surface.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds