Two Ex1 questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 17th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Two Ex1 questions

Hey all, got two quick questions.

1. When I try to connect my EX1 to my laptop, the EX1 gives me the screen asking if I want to make the connection. I say yes, but the connection never actually completes so the laptop never recognizes it's connection to the camera. Is there something I'm missing? A driver download or something? I am using a PC based laptop if it matters.

2. What does Macro mode give me? I am going to shoot some "product images" this weekend and would like to be able to get close focus on them. Is this the correct time for Macro? I am wondering if it's similar to still camera Macro mode, used expressly for close-up work.

Thanks,

P
Perrone Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't know the answer to the first question but I do know that macro mode really isn't that close up as you need it - you would probably be better off getting a macro adapter like the Canon 500D - I think that one is $200 - anyway an extra piece of macro magnifying glass will really do you some good.
Ed David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 01:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go this weekend without, and if it doesn't work, schedule a reshoot with some different glass. Doing that with this client isn't an issue.
Old July 17th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #4
Trustee

Perrone.
Macro is for close-up work, ie so close that the subject can touch the lens hood.
Tip> take off the lens hood if you're filming that close, it'll let more light into the lens.

Plugging camera into pc via usb.
No drivers are needed, click on "my computer" and the you should see 2 more "removable discs", these are the SXS cards in the cam, basically, the camera just becomes a card reader.

The proper way to do the transfer though is with clip browser, look in the explorer tree and you'll see the 2 cards there.

Paul.
Old July 17th, 2008, 02:00 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Perrone.
Macro is for close-up work, ie so close that the subject can touch the lens hood.
Tip> take off the lens hood if you're filming that close, it'll let more light into the lens.
GREAT TIP! I'll remember that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Plugging camera into pc via usb.
No drivers are needed, click on "my computer" and the you should see 2 more "removable discs", these are the SXS cards in the cam, basically, the camera just becomes a card reader.

The proper way to do the transfer though is with clip browser, look in the explorer tree and you'll see the 2 cards there.
Yep, got it! Thanks for your help, this is perfect!

-P
Old July 17th, 2008, 03:32 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I just posted a couple of examples in the Stills section. I'd appreciate some feeback. These were quick and dirty with existing light, so don't expect high art! :)
Old July 17th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #7
Major Player

The camera will focus to 2.6 ft with the Macro Off. With Macro On, the camera will focus to 20mm.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
TWith Macro On, the camera will focus to 20mm.
Thanks, John - I'll add, because I only just found this out (D'oh!) thanks to the folks on this fine forum, that Macro doesn't work in Full Manual mode. Ring needs to be pushed forwards.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds