What to do with the MP4 files after transfer? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:57 AM   #16
Regular Crew

On location, I drag the BPAV folder to laptop HD, and a bus powered little drive. True, I don't know if there's any corruption. How can clips be verified w/ this software? Looking at the photo of the interface on website, it's not clear. Is it poor form just to drag the BPAV to where I want. Or just easier to let shotput do it?
L.J. Morelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:55 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Simply copying the BPAV folder to your USB drive should produce a perfect copy every time and most applications and OS's are pretty good at warning of any problems. However the warnings only occur if the machine detects a problem while copying. If you copy some of the data to a duff sector or your drive has an issue un-detected by the copy function you may never find out until it is too late. ShotPut copies the files (to simultaneous multiple destinations if u want) and then verifies that the copied file can be read. The strength of the verification can be chosen, from a simple but accurate file size check to a full read of the entire copy.

In short. the desktop makes a copy but does not check that the copy is valid, Shot put makes a copy and then checks the copy is OK.

In most cases a straight forward copy should be fine, but Shotput ensures it is before erasing the card.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:10 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Great. I'll come out of my comfort zone, and give it a try. Curious - are you able to view anything, or it's just for copying? What is the message the software gives that the files are OK?
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:26 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hard drives can, and do fail.

I use XDCAM Transfer to import my clips via the Sony SBAC US10 reader into FCP, storing the .movs on external HD.

THEN I backup all the .mov files to a second external HD.

THEN I replace the cards in the camera and format them ready for use again.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Very similar to me. In the field I:

Copy my BPAV's to my laptop and an external drive.

When I get back to the studio I import using Transfer software from that external drive.

Then copy the .MOVs to another hard drive to archive.

Then delete files from laptop, and external drive - erase cards.
Old July 28th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Dormoy View Post
. In that sub-directory I have 6 files : *.MP4, *.SMI, *.PPN, *.XML and *.BIM and only the *.MP4 has a noticealble size
Can someone tell me what are these files with just a few kbs (.SMI, .PPNm .XML created for each clip in the SxS Card. Can I get rid of them and just keep the .MP$ file when exporting the SxS contents into the laptop when I travel?
Francois Dormoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Dormoy View Post
Can someone tell me what are these files with just a few kbs (.SMI, .PPNm .XML created for each clip in the SxS Card. Can I get rid of them and just keep the .MP$ file when exporting the SxS contents into the laptop when I travel?
You should never mess with any of the files in the BPAV folder. They are all needed for the XDTransfer and XD Clip Browser software. Always keep the BPAV folder files intact. You should also never change the name of the BPAV folder. Create folders with unique names on your laptop and put the BPAV folders into these.

Last edited by Sverker Hahn; July 28th, 2008 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Adding content
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #23
Major Player

Devin pretty much answered it but I'll add my two cents.

If you are only going to be editing your footage on one platform (Final Cut, Vegas, Avid) then after you re-wrap your mp4s to either .mov Quicktime files or XML files you are safe to delete the BPAV folder and all its contents. When rewrapping files you are not degrading video or audio quality...just putting your video and audio into a different container format (like taking clothes from a laundry basket and putting into your closet).

What I've been doing is I have two 750 GB hard drives (for now, LOL). I will make a backup of any contents on the first drive to the second one. If I'm finished with a project I will either keep the files on the drive and just buy two new ones (hard drives are your new tape, welcome to the tapeless workflow) or burn the data files to DVD-R.

There's also the option in Clip Browser (I'm not sure after Transfer) either before you transfer files or afterwards to split folders. 2.0 now has a convenient drop down menu to split in exact portions for different media formats. It's under the Clip menu. This makes backing up video files to cheap DVD-Rs a cinch.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:33 PM   #24
Major Player

Check out a small review of ShotPut with screen captures of the software in action @
http://web.mac.com/stevecahill/Steve...ware_Tool.html

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds