Monitor suggestions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 20th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Monitor suggestions

I need a second monitor to check my EX1 footage. I presently have (on a Mac, btw) a 23" Apple Cinema Display and I need something that I can view my output on. I either want to pick up a second ACD 23" (there's one for sale in my town used for $600) and get something like the Matrox MXO or the new MXO2 OR get a standard LCD TV.

From what I've seen in the stores, I have to go up to at least a 37" screen to get 1920x1080 native resolution in stardard LCD TV's and I don't have that much room here in my small office "edit suite". However, having a standard TV with all the inputs and a built-in tuner appeals to me a lot. However, I think the ACD/MXO combo also looks appealing.

For any of you using the original MXO, would this simply hook up to my second DVI port and feed the monitor directly leaving the original monitor on its' present plug? Does the coming MXO2 have enough bells and whistles that I should wait for it instead? Again, this is primarily being used for checking final output. Price IS a factor. Any suggestions?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 01:33 PM   #2
Major Player

MXO to DVI is the ideal least expensive monitoring option.

MXO2 adds input and output. Unless you need input, you are far better off with the MXO. That will give you DVI as well as SDI/component/composite output. Calibration of ACD is a snap with the built-in color bars and calibration of the MXO.

The MXO2 would work well with HDMI LCD or Plasma TV since it is possible to calibrate the monitor with color bars from FCP via the MXO2.

You can't go wrong either way. If you ever suspect that you will need input, then MXO2 is the way to go.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for that info, Ned. If I can't get this guy to drop his price on the used ACD, I might consider one of the Dell UltraSharp monitors as well.....lots of inputs on those.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds