Encoding a SD DVD with EX1 video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:54 AM   #1
New Boot

Encoding a SD DVD with EX1 video

I'm working on my first video with EX1 footage edited in FCP. Not too many glitches until now.

I exported the footage to compressor (HD MPEG-2 19 Mbps) and then to DVD Studio pro with HD letterbox settings 1920 x 1080. The DVD (DVD-R) I got initially played on my late model MACS. It did not play on any TV or PC.

Today I put DVD into the slot of my MacBook Pro and it is showing up "not permitted". Anyone have experience getting a segment shot with the EX1 and edited in FCP onto a workable standard definition DVD? ...or have any other advice about sharing the video with the powers who decide what will happen to it or mass producing it. Blue Ray is not an option.

Thanks

Diana
Diana Scalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Your HD footage needs to be down-converted to NTSC (for US distribution) standard definition - 720x480, 29.97 frames per second (interlaced) or 24 frames per second (progressive).

I use Premiere Pro, so I'm not familiar with the workflow in Final Cut, but there is plenty of information around this forum that should help you. Try searching the forum.
Jon Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 03:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Just export your timeline to QT Movie
File > Export > QuickTime Movie.

Choose Current Settings and make the file Self Contained.

When it's done, import the .mov file into your DVDSP project - making sure DVDSP's preferences are all set for DV NTSC (anamorphic if you want 16:9 ratio).

Insert a blank DVD into the drive and burn.
DVD SP will take care of the details as long as you have the settings correctly selected.

The result is superb.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 04:39 PM   #4
Better than Halle Berry

You can also send directly to Compressor from FCP and choose the SD 16:9 best encoding. It looks pretty awesome. We cover this workflow on my EX1 DVD btw:

http://www.callboxlive.com/store/son...book-p-39.html

-Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:06 PM   #5
New Boot

I've tried the SD 16:9 compression in compressor. This makes a nice video but it still only works on my mac and not on any pc I try or in any TV DVD player. They just do not recognize it as a DVD.

I've tried making the video track the first play and tried using a menu (although I haven't figured out yet how to get a 16:9 menu.)

Also, I am using DVD-R. A year and a half ago, when I was mass producing DVDs, that was the best format. Has something changed? I notice there are many more formats now.
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:08 AM   #6
New Boot

Got a working DVD.

Changed the menu aspect ratio in the inspector.

Used the best SD compression setting in Compressor. Used 16:9 aspect ration in DVD studio pro

Thanks.
Old July 25th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Kadner View Post
We cover this workflow on my EX1 DVD btw:

http://www.callboxlive.com/store/son...book-p-39.html

-Noah
You sir, have perfected the art of shameless self promotion. That's it, you win, I'm gonna get yer DVD. And thanks for all the free tidbits here and there. I went ahead and got a low end MBP on your recommendation and haven't looked back. This is the future of in the field workflow!!!

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
Mick Haensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 05:34 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Haensler View Post
You sir, have perfected the art of shameless self promotion. That's it, you win, I'm gonna get yer DVD. And thanks for all the free tidbits here and there. I went ahead and got a low end MBP on your recommendation and haven't looked back. This is the future of in the field workflow!!!

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Actually Noah has been selflessly helping other people without asking for anything in return for years on forums.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #9
Better than Halle Berry

Ha- no really it's been a matter of survival. I could try to type out the way these things should be handled step by step here. And cover the same questions over and over again to varying degrees of effectiveness. Or I can put all that special sauce into one master DVD that you'll really get a lot more out of- for what I think is a minor expense on top of what most of us are spending on camera gear these days. And yes it's nice to make a living at it too.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:28 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Well thanks just the same. Your advice is always delivered with authority and humor. Most appreciated.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media
Mick Haensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 04:58 AM   #11
Major Player

And now Noah takes real credit cards I will order a few titles from him. Seriously though the knowledge available here is invaluable,thanks to all.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds