EX3 Feedback? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 28th, 2008, 06:34 AM   #16
Major Player

I have had my EX-3 for a week now, but only managed to take it for a spin yesterday.

For me it is so much more than the EX-1, which I felt was a brick to hold. I shoot docs in some tough locations, and on my last shoot in the mountains of China, I kept going back to my V1U which I could use with a light steady cam handle. The EX-1 always needed a tripod.

The balance and ergonomics are perfect on the EX-3. All the buttons I need are in the right spot - and out of the menus. This alone is worth the extra bucks. Then you have the viewfinder - in a class of it's own.
I also hear that the wide angle Fuji lens is coming out soon - for the EX-3. I think once 3rd party lenses and adapters are prolific, then we will see some great work with the EX-3 - certainly a lot of slo-mo for sure.

I dialed in my usual PP's, but they do not seem to behave as I expected, so maybe with the EX-3 there is some tweaking to be done. First footage though looks great. Hope to post soon - but I am in a crush with deadlines right now.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Shelley View Post
Ned, Looking forward to reading your reviews, and all the other ones yet to come from others.

I always learn so much from everyone here. If it weren't for this site, I don't think I would have grown to know my much loved JVC HD100 so well. Sadly, it's got to go to make room for my new little friend the EX. 1 or 3 still TBD. I've already learned a ton from you all about the EX1 that has made my borrowed time with it so much better, Thanks

This should be a fun fall.

Bryan
Bryan,

I think we are in similar situations. I had a pair of HD100 cameras - selected mostly for the 720p native, but loved how the size of the camera carried with it a "wow" factor that made clients feel they were really getting something great. Another reason that I purchased them was for the removeable lenses. I was thrilled when the released the PL mount adapter and purchased one and a 16mm lens. However, for almost every job, I ended up going back to the stock lens.

I've been following the EX1 for quite some time, and when the EX3 was released I took more notice and my interest grew. I won't receive mine until Friday, but I sold both of my HD100's to get it! I was really ready for a more compact unit and oftentimes clients are looking for a flavor of 1080 and I'm a big fan of capturing withe the final output in mind. The quality should be a nice improvement and, well, slow-mo and quick-mo are extremely enticing features (to say nothing of the awful low-res LCD's on the JVC's).

And it's a nice balance - I do save quite a bit on size and weight, but still can swap a lens. Will I? Can't say for sure. I plan to invest in a Letus Ultimate (or SG blade or similar), but not right away. I anticipate waiting for Letus or Shoot35 to complete their relay lens and skip the EX3's lens entirely.

So, I'm not sure this is the best decision for anyone else, but I really feel it was for me. And so I wait, extremely impatiently, for "Christmas" to roll around this Friday.

Oh yeah, I had to spend a bunch of time verifying that all my HD100 tapes were catured and stored on drives - I have no other way to read them now that they are all gone!

I plan to report back soon and often on the new camera.
Ted OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:57 AM   #18
Regular Crew

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/n...onyPMW-EX3.jsp
Here's a link to a good first look of the ex3

greets jurgen
Jurgen Taghon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Jurgen, great link. Thanks for posting! Can't wait until I get mine!
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #20
Major Player

Yes... nice link.

I'll have mine Wednesday afternoon...
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Ned, Did you get yours local ???
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2008, 03:37 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Ned, Did you get yours local ???
Yes. Getting mine from TM Television.
Old July 28th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #23
Trustee

Jon or anyone else -

Does the Ex3 have 2 presets for color - Tungstun and daylight or still the wanky single preset like in the EX-1?

Lenny Levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #24
Tourist

I don't think the EX3 is worth an extra $3k just for a change on the viewfinder, interchangeable lens, shoulder-mount design.

I think people would be better off with the EX1 and a Letus Adapter. Why pay 3k more for the same camera? All it has is cosmetic changes.
Barry Badrinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #25
Major Player

OK. Thanks for the input.
Ted OMalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
OK. Thanks for the input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Badrinath View Post
I don't think the EX3 is worth an extra $3k just for a change on the viewfinder, interchangeable lens, shoulder-mount design.

I think people would be better off with the EX1 and a Letus Adapter. Why pay 3k more for the same camera? All it has is cosmetic changes.
The difference is $1871.
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #27
Major Player

Leonard - one single preset only still applies - at 3200k.

You can change this preset which I do - to something warmer and keep this in button B.
That way if I cannot WB manually, I can at least flip from the preset to something resembling the outside.

Also, I think if the EX-3 changes were merely cosmetic, I doubt Sony would sell a single EX-3 at $2,000 above the EX-1 price.
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds