DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   E1/ Macbook Pro/ SATA Workflow....? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/127000-e1-macbook-pro-sata-workflow.html)

Jonathan Bland July 30th, 2008 09:08 AM

E1/ Macbook Pro/ SATA Workflow....?

Hi folks,

This is the first time I am walking through this..... :)

Do you have a work flow that is simple/ efficient and wouldn't mind to be the one who can spell it out for the thousands of folks who are adopting/ converting to tapeless work flow?

Here is what I want to do:

Pull the files off of the camera via usb to a SATA drive connected via the Macbook Pro's Express 34 port. Then make a backup to another drive in the enclosure. Then start editing.

So....

I just tried this in 2 ways.

1) Drag the BPAV folder from the camera to a newly created/ named folder on the SATA drive.
The problem was that I couldn't open the video file after the transfer. I know that the file needs to be rewrapped so that it can be opened and played on the Mac.

So then I did this....

2) Open EXCAM Transfer and select a newly created/ named folder on the SATA drive for the cameras files to be copied to.... then hit import.
The problem is that this does not copy all the metadata contained in the BPAV folder.

Question:

If I understand things correctly, I will always want to keep a copy of the original BPAV folder from every card I use in case I want to edit on something other that a Mac. Right?

So then.... once I copy the BPAV folder to the drive, am I then going to have to use XDCAM Transfer to unwrap it to a .mov file so that I can edit with it in FCP? Should I just save the unwrapped files in the same folder that contains the BPAV?

Then, import the .mov files into FCP and start cutting? But hey, wait..... am I not going to have to convert these files to Pro Res? I'm not into big effects, just simple cross dissolves and titles but I will want to color correct.

Then after the edit is finished export the film and trash the .mov files.

I just need to go through this process once and I will understand :)

Would anyone be kind enough to comment? Am I missing important steps? Alistair?

Ned Soltz July 30th, 2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Bland (Post 914177)
Hi folks,

This is the first time I am walking through this..... :)

Do you have a work flow that is simple/ efficient and wouldn't mind to be the one who can spell it out for the thousands of folks who are adopting/ converting to tapeless work flow?

Here is what I want to do:

Pull the files off of the camera via usb to a SATA drive connected via the Macbook Pro's Express 34 port. Then make a backup to another drive in the enclosure. Then start editing.

So....

I just tried this in 2 ways.

1) Drag the BPAV folder from the camera to a newly created/ named folder on the SATA drive.
The problem was that I couldn't open the video file after the transfer. I know that the file needs to be rewrapped so that it can be opened and played on the Mac.

So then I did this....

2) Open EXCAM Transfer and select a newly created/ named folder on the SATA drive for the cameras files to be copied to.... then hit import.
The problem is that this does not copy all the metadata contained in the BPAV folder.

Question:

If I understand things correctly, I will always want to keep a copy of the original BPAV folder from every card I use in case I want to edit on something other that a Mac. Right?

So then.... once I copy the BPAV folder to the drive, am I then going to have to use XDCAM Transfer to unwrap it to a .mov file so that I can edit with it in FCP? Should I just save the unwrapped files in the same folder that contains the BPAV?

Then, import the .mov files into FCP and start cutting? But hey, wait..... am I not going to have to convert these files to Pro Res? I'm not into big effects, just simple cross dissolves and titles but I will want to color correct.

Then after the edit is finished export the film and trash the .mov files.

I just need to go through this process once and I will understand :)

Would anyone be kind enough to comment? Am I missing important steps? Alistair?

I use Shotput Express to unload the card either directly to the MBPro or to an external FW drive.

Then, I'll insert my eSata card to use my Sonnet Fusion F1 portable raid as media drive in FCP. FCP will import and rewrap the MP4 files into QT.

Then the real question is one of archiving the original footage from the SxS cards. I use hard drivers knowing full well it is the least reliable method of archiving. I will eventually spring for tape backup of some sort (DLT or LTO).

Ned Soltz

Jonathan Bland July 31st, 2008 05:20 AM

Thanks Ned :)

As far as archiving goes I think many of us are in the same boat as you but hopefully those big flash storage drives (that are currently in military use) will soon be on the way.

And so......

"FCP will import and rewrap the MP4 files into QT."

Ah yes..... I see that if I open FCP and import using XDCAM Transfer it creates the .mov (QT) files in the same folder that the BPAV folder is contained in.

So now..... Has anyone found a decent way to "name" the files so that they can be traced back to their originals?

What about something like this for example:

001_0229_01.MP4

after transfer it becomes:

001_0229_01.mov

But if one wants to "name" the clip so that we can locate it in a language we understand... could we call it:

Garden Time Lapse-001_0229_01.mov so that if necessary we can trace this file back to the 001_0229_01.MP4 file?

Is anyone doing this? Is there a better way? Does Shotput really simplify this process that much or can one just make do without it?

Grateful for any and all info :)

Ned Soltz July 31st, 2008 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Bland (Post 914588)
Thanks Ned :)

As far as archiving goes I think many of us are in the same boat as you but hopefully those big flash storage drives (that are currently in military use) will soon be on the way.

And so......

"FCP will import and rewrap the MP4 files into QT."

Ah yes..... I see that if I open FCP and import using XDCAM Transfer it creates the .mov (QT) files in the same folder that the BPAV folder is contained in.

So now..... Has anyone found a decent way to "name" the files so that they can be traced back to their originals?

What about something like this for example:

001_0229_01.MP4

after transfer it becomes:

001_0229_01.mov

But if one wants to "name" the clip so that we can locate it in a language we understand... could we call it:

Garden Time Lapse-001_0229_01.mov so that if necessary we can trace this file back to the 001_0229_01.MP4 file?

Is anyone doing this? Is there a better way? Does Shotput really simplify this process that much or can one just make do without it?

Grateful for any and all info :)

ShotPut is just an offloading utility. It is faster than pure finder transfer and also allows you to copy data to 3 different destinations.

Jonathan Bland July 31st, 2008 03:48 PM

Right-o Ned. Thanks.

Anyone else what to take a shot at my question about re-naming files?

Alister Chapman July 31st, 2008 07:07 PM

You can set up file prefixes in the camera menus, so each clip will have the prefix you set plus a sequential number. Then copy the entire BPAV to a new folder named with the date or shoot name. When you use the XDCAM transfer tool either set the import directory to the same directory or create a new folder with the same name, then the .mov's will be copied to the new folder.

Jonathan Bland August 1st, 2008 06:24 AM

Well said Alister!

As always I very much appreciate your contributions to this forum and if there is anything further you would like to add to this thread I will be listening :)

Alister Chapman August 1st, 2008 07:46 AM

I wrote a EX backup feature for the sony UK web site:

http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowC...=1209376196252

I'm currently on route from Tampa FLA to Tucson Arizona, was filming storms in Florida now going to film storms in Tucson tonight. While I type this I'm backing up my cards to my macbook so they will be ready for tonights shoot with my EX3.

Ted OMalley August 1st, 2008 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 915089)

I'm currently on route from Tampa FLA to Tucson Arizona, was filming storms in Florida now going to film storms in Tucson tonight. While I type this I'm backing up my cards to my macbook so they will be ready for tonights shoot with my EX3.

Take the storms with you! I've had enough!!

Jonathan Bland August 1st, 2008 10:08 AM

Now we're talkin'......

Big thanks Alister :)

Good luck with the shoot tonight!

Dave Morrison August 1st, 2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 915089)

Yeah, Alister. I've seen enough rain to last me for SEVERAL weeks!. Where did you go while you were in our area? There didn't seem to be much lightning mixed in with all the weather we've had lately, just rain.