E1/ Macbook Pro/ SATA Workflow....? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 30th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #1
Major Player

E1/ Macbook Pro/ SATA Workflow....?

Hi folks,

This is the first time I am walking through this..... :)

Do you have a work flow that is simple/ efficient and wouldn't mind to be the one who can spell it out for the thousands of folks who are adopting/ converting to tapeless work flow?

Here is what I want to do:

Pull the files off of the camera via usb to a SATA drive connected via the Macbook Pro's Express 34 port. Then make a backup to another drive in the enclosure. Then start editing.

So....

I just tried this in 2 ways.

1) Drag the BPAV folder from the camera to a newly created/ named folder on the SATA drive.
The problem was that I couldn't open the video file after the transfer. I know that the file needs to be rewrapped so that it can be opened and played on the Mac.

So then I did this....

2) Open EXCAM Transfer and select a newly created/ named folder on the SATA drive for the cameras files to be copied to.... then hit import.
The problem is that this does not copy all the metadata contained in the BPAV folder.

Question:

If I understand things correctly, I will always want to keep a copy of the original BPAV folder from every card I use in case I want to edit on something other that a Mac. Right?

So then.... once I copy the BPAV folder to the drive, am I then going to have to use XDCAM Transfer to unwrap it to a .mov file so that I can edit with it in FCP? Should I just save the unwrapped files in the same folder that contains the BPAV?

Then, import the .mov files into FCP and start cutting? But hey, wait..... am I not going to have to convert these files to Pro Res? I'm not into big effects, just simple cross dissolves and titles but I will want to color correct.

Then after the edit is finished export the film and trash the .mov files.

I just need to go through this process once and I will understand :)

Would anyone be kind enough to comment? Am I missing important steps? Alistair?
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bland View Post
Hi folks,

This is the first time I am walking through this..... :)

Do you have a work flow that is simple/ efficient and wouldn't mind to be the one who can spell it out for the thousands of folks who are adopting/ converting to tapeless work flow?

Here is what I want to do:

Pull the files off of the camera via usb to a SATA drive connected via the Macbook Pro's Express 34 port. Then make a backup to another drive in the enclosure. Then start editing.

So....

I just tried this in 2 ways.

1) Drag the BPAV folder from the camera to a newly created/ named folder on the SATA drive.
The problem was that I couldn't open the video file after the transfer. I know that the file needs to be rewrapped so that it can be opened and played on the Mac.

So then I did this....

2) Open EXCAM Transfer and select a newly created/ named folder on the SATA drive for the cameras files to be copied to.... then hit import.
The problem is that this does not copy all the metadata contained in the BPAV folder.

Question:

If I understand things correctly, I will always want to keep a copy of the original BPAV folder from every card I use in case I want to edit on something other that a Mac. Right?

So then.... once I copy the BPAV folder to the drive, am I then going to have to use XDCAM Transfer to unwrap it to a .mov file so that I can edit with it in FCP? Should I just save the unwrapped files in the same folder that contains the BPAV?

Then, import the .mov files into FCP and start cutting? But hey, wait..... am I not going to have to convert these files to Pro Res? I'm not into big effects, just simple cross dissolves and titles but I will want to color correct.

Then after the edit is finished export the film and trash the .mov files.

I just need to go through this process once and I will understand :)

Would anyone be kind enough to comment? Am I missing important steps? Alistair?

I use Shotput Express to unload the card either directly to the MBPro or to an external FW drive.

Then, I'll insert my eSata card to use my Sonnet Fusion F1 portable raid as media drive in FCP. FCP will import and rewrap the MP4 files into QT.

Then the real question is one of archiving the original footage from the SxS cards. I use hard drivers knowing full well it is the least reliable method of archiving. I will eventually spring for tape backup of some sort (DLT or LTO).

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 05:20 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Ned :)

As far as archiving goes I think many of us are in the same boat as you but hopefully those big flash storage drives (that are currently in military use) will soon be on the way.

And so......

"FCP will import and rewrap the MP4 files into QT."

Ah yes..... I see that if I open FCP and import using XDCAM Transfer it creates the .mov (QT) files in the same folder that the BPAV folder is contained in.

So now..... Has anyone found a decent way to "name" the files so that they can be traced back to their originals?

What about something like this for example:

001_0229_01.MP4

after transfer it becomes:

001_0229_01.mov

But if one wants to "name" the clip so that we can locate it in a language we understand... could we call it:

Garden Time Lapse-001_0229_01.mov so that if necessary we can trace this file back to the 001_0229_01.MP4 file?

Is anyone doing this? Is there a better way? Does Shotput really simplify this process that much or can one just make do without it?

Grateful for any and all info :)
Old July 31st, 2008, 07:16 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bland View Post
Thanks Ned :)

As far as archiving goes I think many of us are in the same boat as you but hopefully those big flash storage drives (that are currently in military use) will soon be on the way.

And so......

"FCP will import and rewrap the MP4 files into QT."

Ah yes..... I see that if I open FCP and import using XDCAM Transfer it creates the .mov (QT) files in the same folder that the BPAV folder is contained in.

So now..... Has anyone found a decent way to "name" the files so that they can be traced back to their originals?

What about something like this for example:

001_0229_01.MP4

after transfer it becomes:

001_0229_01.mov

But if one wants to "name" the clip so that we can locate it in a language we understand... could we call it:

Garden Time Lapse-001_0229_01.mov so that if necessary we can trace this file back to the 001_0229_01.MP4 file?

Is anyone doing this? Is there a better way? Does Shotput really simplify this process that much or can one just make do without it?

Grateful for any and all info :)
ShotPut is just an offloading utility. It is faster than pure finder transfer and also allows you to copy data to 3 different destinations.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 03:48 PM   #5
Major Player

Right-o Ned. Thanks.

Anyone else what to take a shot at my question about re-naming files?
Old July 31st, 2008, 07:07 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You can set up file prefixes in the camera menus, so each clip will have the prefix you set plus a sequential number. Then copy the entire BPAV to a new folder named with the date or shoot name. When you use the XDCAM transfer tool either set the import directory to the same directory or create a new folder with the same name, then the .mov's will be copied to the new folder.
Old August 1st, 2008, 06:24 AM   #7
Major Player

Well said Alister!

As always I very much appreciate your contributions to this forum and if there is anything further you would like to add to this thread I will be listening :)
Old August 1st, 2008, 07:46 AM   #8
Inner Circle

I wrote a EX backup feature for the sony UK web site:

http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/view/ShowC...=1209376196252

I'm currently on route from Tampa FLA to Tucson Arizona, was filming storms in Florida now going to film storms in Tucson tonight. While I type this I'm backing up my cards to my macbook so they will be ready for tonights shoot with my EX3.
Old August 1st, 2008, 07:57 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post

I'm currently on route from Tampa FLA to Tucson Arizona, was filming storms in Florida now going to film storms in Tucson tonight. While I type this I'm backing up my cards to my macbook so they will be ready for tonights shoot with my EX3.
Take the storms with you! I've had enough!!
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:08 AM   #10
Major Player

Now we're talkin'......

Big thanks Alister :)

Good luck with the shoot tonight!
Old August 1st, 2008, 01:09 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post

Yeah, Alister. I've seen enough rain to last me for SEVERAL weeks!. Where did you go while you were in our area? There didn't seem to be much lightning mixed in with all the weather we've had lately, just rain.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds