DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Back Pack suitable for the EX-3... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/127008-back-pack-suitable-ex-3-a.html)

Jon Braeley July 30th, 2008 11:33 AM

Back Pack suitable for the EX-3...

1 Attachment(s)
I just took delivery of the Kata Backpack BP-502 for my EX-3.

It did not disappoint. This is my 3rd kata backpack (among other kata bags I have) and they just get better. The 502 is the largest I have owned - and it swollows the EX-3 in one gulp! In fact, it makes the EX-3 look small. I am told it will get on to planes as a carry-on, but may not fit smaller domestic overhead bins. With it being a backpack, it gets away with the size regulation scrutiny.
I roughly placed the EX-3 in the photo you are looking at. As you can see, plenty of space still left for accessories and customising a snug fit to the cam. The lid is arched so that it fits high above the viewfinder and any attachments, such as mics.
This also takes a 17" Macbook pro - I just tested my 15" Macbook with no problem.
Also lots of free goodies, rain-covers and a very nice padded camera strap. The Kata trolley wheels will slide inside the back.
I looked long and hard for a back pack for the EX-3. This is the only one that I found suitable for my type of work - difficult terrain and remote travel.

Ned Soltz July 30th, 2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Braeley (Post 914247)

It did not disappoint. This is my 3rd kata backpack (among other kata bags I have) and they just get better. The 502 is the largest I have owned - and it swollows the EX-3 in one gulp! In fact, it makes the EX-3 look small. I am told it will get on to planes as a carry-on, but may not fit smaller domestic overhead bins. With it being a backpack, it gets away with the size regulation scrutiny.
I roughly placed the EX-3 in the photo you are looking at. As you can see, plenty of space still left for accessories and customising a snug fit to the cam. The lid is arched so that it fits high above the viewfinder and any attachments, such as mics.
This also takes a 17" Macbook pro - I just tested my 15" Macbook with no problem.
Also lots of free goodies, rain-covers and a very nice padded camera strap. The Kata trolley wheels will slide inside the back.
I looked long and hard for a back pack for the EX-3. This is the only one that I found suitable for my type of work - difficult terrain and remote travel.

That's great news!

As I had noted in my sleezy unpacking thread, the EX-3 fits very nicely in the Petrol PDRB-3 "Doctor Bag."

Ned Soltz

Ted OMalley July 30th, 2008 12:02 PM

Jon,

Where did you purchase your BP-502?

Tapeworks Texas has great pricing on them. If the Camrade bag I already ordered is inadequate, I'll upgrade to this Kata.

Matt Davis July 30th, 2008 12:12 PM

I'll raise you...

2 Attachment(s)
... I just have to put in a vote for the Think Tank range, especially the Airport Accelerator range. I've been traveling extensively with one of these containing my EX1 kit and a full FCP edit system. On budget airlines, using UK airports with a 'one bag' policy for security.

Picture 1 is my standard layout:

EX1, AA batteries, Sanken CS-1 in wind-basket. Sennheiser 100 G2 wireless system (TX and RX) with a Dongle (visible on top) for the AKG reporter's mic (underneath). Canon HV20 as a backup, audio or candid camcorder (the charger, tapes, adaptors and other stuff is to its right). One LaCie Rugged Drive (the other drive - a G-Mini RAID drive - was being used at the time). The black bag contains backup earphones, a COS-11 tie clip mic, the M2 Sennheiser mic, some XLR adaptors, and other stuff. My HD25 cans, charger and batts can also be seen. Cables, rain cape, torch, lens brush, clothes pegs, camera tape, white cards, documentation, misc cables, assorted fluff are also in there. Add to this my MacBook Pro 17" and power supply, and even in Iberia's lounge, I could do a few hours of serious HD editing (other image). All that counted as HAND LUGGAGE.

Yes, it's a bit, well, don't weigh it.

And I'd also have to throw in a shout for the delightfully nerdy Scott-E-Vest gillet thing. I can put most of the big stuff into absurd 'poacher pockets' of Scott-E-Vest - headphones in one side, AKG with wireless dongle in other, wireless mic in side pocket one, phone, ipod, in another, and you get the picture...

Jon Braeley July 30th, 2008 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ned Soltz (Post 914258)
That's great news!

As I had noted in my sleezy unpacking thread, the EX-3 fits very nicely in the Petrol PDRB-3 "Doctor Bag."

Ned Soltz

Ned, I looked at the Petrol line, plus 16x9, Portabrace... even Home Depot plastic bags.
But I need a Backpack to be safe. I shoot a lot of my stuff in mountaineous areas of China and Japan and I also use some fairly nasty transport to get around these remote villages.

Ted- I got the Kata bag from Amazon.com for $269 inc. shipping - best price I found. I believe B & H is special order - I did not see this backpack at Tapeworks though.
My concern is it could be too big. Only a test will tell. I love the idea of travelling with one bag though.

Ted OMalley July 30th, 2008 01:11 PM

Great pic! Did you get the driver to take it?

Jon Braeley July 30th, 2008 01:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would add that the EX-3 presents its own unique problems that the EX-1 does not have - the viewfinder not retracting. This alone is a worry for protection and makes most back packs that I tested unuseable.
I have owned every popular name backpack available - some cost well over $500. The worst experience was hauling 2 large Pelikan cases across Asia for 3 months! I now use those to keep all my cables tidy in my studio.

I also cannot carry a 2nd bag for accessories - they have to all go in the one back pack. Yes, I do have an assistant (my translator who works for me full time) but she carries my tripod and boom arm. In fact here is a pic of the poor girl with my old Kata Backpack - almost weighing the same as her.

Ted OMalley August 1st, 2008 03:14 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Below are two cases I've tried.

The first three pictures are of a Porta Brace CTC-3 that actually holds the camera quite nicely. The built-in viewfinder guard fits the viewfinder very well. When closed, the camera seems to be gently held in place. This is the bag I used with one of my JVC HD100 cameras.

The downside? Well, there is nowhere to put anything else. There is a little space at the back of the camera, but no seperate compartment. There are three exterior pockets, but they aren't real big. This big is more for those that just want to place a camera in a bag with maybe a few batteries and charger and nothing else.

The last four pics are of the Camrade Travel Mate Handy 1. This is more along the lines of what I'm looking for as it is a backpack with many compartments, both inside and outside. This is the bag that Tapeworks Texas recommended.

The downside? It just doesn't fit. I have to wedge the camera in as the center compartment is not wide enough. Once there, some of the outer compartments are quite squished as the camera engulf most of the available space. Also, as you can see from the photos, the viewfinder is dangerously exposed and I'm very uncomfortable with how the pack has to be pulled together in order to zip.

Hope this helps someone...

Ted OMalley August 1st, 2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Braeley (Post 914247)

Jon,

I'm considering this new Petrol bag:
http://www.expandore.com/product/add...ag/CamBag1.htm

It's slightly smaller than yours, but I'm really concerned about flying with it. Your exterior dimensions are 23x18x12 (approx) and this one is 21x14x13 (approx).

It's designed for the EX1 and similar, so at least that is a wider camera, but I'm concerned about the viewfinder.

Since you've played with yours a bit, I thought you might be able to lend an opinion on this one.

Thanks,

Jon Braeley August 2nd, 2008 07:25 AM

Ted,

I looked at the PCTB-3 but came to the conclusion that though the EX-3 will fit the main compartment it leaves nothing for accessories (mics-lavs-batteries etc) and these cannot fit in the other thin compartments meant for the laptop or cables. If you end up carrying a second small bag for accessories, then you have a worse problem - how do you carry clothes? I can take 2 bags total when I travel - one on my shoulder and one on wheels.
Also I do not like built in wheels. Once I am at my location I ditch the wheels, which you can do with all the Kata bags.
I think the risk that my Kata backpack is too large outweigh the practical reality - it accommodates the EX-3 easily while still leaving compartments on both side. The lid is clamshell shaped like a dome, so it does not press on the viewfinder. I heard mix reports from users - some say it fits in overheads and some say it was tough on small domestic flights. I travel mostly long hauls, so I think it will be fine.
I also like the Kata way of design anyway - I am a long time user. Very high quality workmanship. My last backpack went to the Himalayas, deserts, lakes, swamps - you name it - served as a bed and pillow and carried my raincoat - after six years, it still looks brand new and nothing failed - the zippers get a little stiff that's all.

Ted, if you can try the Petrol bag please get back to me with a report - I did not actually place an EX-3 inside, as mine had not yet arrived.

Ted OMalley August 2nd, 2008 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Braeley (Post 915520)
Ted,

I looked at the PCTB-3 but came to the conclusion that though the EX-3 will fit the main compartment it leaves nothing for accessories (mics-lavs-batteries etc) and these cannot fit in the other thin compartments meant for the laptop or cables. If you end up carrying a second small bag for accessories, then you have a worse problem - how do you carry clothes? I can take 2 bags total when I travel - one on my shoulder and one on wheels.
Also I do not like built in wheels. Once I am at my location I ditch the wheels, which you can do with all the Kata bags.
I think the risk that my Kata backpack is too large outweigh the practical reality - it accommodates the EX-3 easily while still leaving compartments on both side. The lid is clamshell shaped like a dome, so it does not press on the viewfinder. I heard mix reports from users - some say it fits in overheads and some say it was tough on small domestic flights. I travel mostly long hauls, so I think it will be fine.
I also like the Kata way of design anyway - I am a long time user. Very high quality workmanship. My last backpack went to the Himalayas, deserts, lakes, swamps - you name it - served as a bed and pillow and carried my raincoat - after six years, it still looks brand new and nothing failed - the zippers get a little stiff that's all.

Ted, if you can try the Petrol bag please get back to me with a report - I did not actually place an EX-3 inside, as mine had not yet arrived.

Jon,

Thanks for the thorough feedback! Yes, I do want to be able to put everything in one bag - I've never had that option before with the bags I've owned and have always travelled with multiple bags/cases. I can see now (been doing a little drawing and some calculations) that most of the side compartment of that Petrol will be taken up by the viewfinder - not good.

I don't know of a dealer in my area that has one of these bags to try, otherwise I'd be there! I am concerned about it being accepted as a carry-on more than anything. I rarely (never?) am on the puddle-jumpers, but most (all?) of my flights are domestic - frequently direct - from major airport to major airport. (Though I am going to the Dominican Republic this winter - no telling about those flights.)

Perhaps another two or three inches won't be stopped by the airlines - but I'm still a little nervous. The wheels are good for me - I've never travelled anywhere there weren't paved roads/sidewalks. Not to say that this won't change, just judging from experience.

I've never owned a Kata bag, and have never been married to a brand. My Porta-Brace and Petrol were fine. For my still eqpt., The Ape Case I bought is far and away my favorite so far. Sadly, they don't make a backpack case for the EX3.

Again, thanks for the feedback, even though you are only making my decision more difficult! Hopefully, in the end, it will be the right one for me.

Ted OMalley August 2nd, 2008 07:51 AM

Maybe I should just buy both and return one!

Jon Braeley August 2nd, 2008 10:06 AM

Ted, I spoke to Continental Airline - I travel to Beijing 3 times per year with them from Newark.

They calculate a carry on at being 51 inches total size - LxWxH.

I measured accurately my Kata BP-502. It is 23 x 17 x 12 inches which is 52 inches. Just over the limit - however, the airline person did not rule it out for 2 reasons.
1. They prefer carry-on as it is cheaper for them than processing checked and NO lost luggage to worry about.
2. If the bag is not rigid it can be squished (which it will) and if you do not have a 2nd carry-on - known as a personal bag (laptop etc).

So there it is for me - I feel 90% confident of it working. I regularly take a large backpack (2inches less than the 502) and my large 35 inch tripod bag both as carry ons.

Hope this helps.

Ted OMalley August 3rd, 2008 01:20 AM

Jon,

Awesome! Thanks again!

I think it's about time I purchase this one. I'll probably get the wheels as well, as I spend a lot of time in urban areas/airports/etc.

Markus Bo August 3rd, 2008 05:28 AM

Thanks for your great analysis. I checked just for interest German ebay and I hope to have made a nice deal. I just bought a 502 for 220 euros in mint conditions. Now I just need the cam.....

Markus

Ted OMalley August 3rd, 2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Braeley (Post 915568)
Ted, I spoke to Continental Airline - I travel to Beijing 3 times per year with them from Newark.

They calculate a carry-on at being 51 inches total size - LxWxH.

I don't fly Continental very often, so I decided to go to each of the airlines that fly to the cities I frequent. Hopefully, this will be of some help:

These airlines limit carry-ons based on total size - L+W+H

55" limit - AirTran (Wow!)
51" limit - Continental, US Air
50" limit - Virgin
45" limit - American, Delta, Northwest

These airlines limit carry-ons based on actual dimensions

26x18x12 (56) - Jet Blue (certain planes) - (Wow!!)
24x16x10 (50) - Jet Blue (certain planes), Southwest
22x14x9 (45) - United
22x13x10 (45) - Spirit

So, this bag is within or very close to the restrictions on these airlines:
AirTran, Continental, US Air, Virgin, Jet Blue

And it is a little larger (by seven inches) than the restrictions on these airlines:
American, Delta, Northwest, United, and Spirit

Bear in mind what Jon said when speaking to Continental; being a little over the limit won't necessarily exclude your luggage from carry-on. I'd feel pretty confident with the first five airlines, and a little nervous with the second five.

I suppose, if it came down to it and there was not enough room, I could remove the camera and hand over the bag for them to check after I'd boarded. Of course, I'd really rather not check anything in that bag.

Hope this information helps someone... I'm probably going to cross my fingers and buy the 502.

Jon Braeley August 3rd, 2008 05:51 PM

Excellent information Ted.

Also bear in mind the trend for them to charge for carry-ons. This gives them an extra incentive plus carry-ons are less expensive long-term for them (handling-lost luggage etc), so the airline wants to to be on your side with check-ins.
With the 502 bag, I would not carry on a 2nd small hand-size bah or laptop - that just may push them over the top (or limit!).

The EX-3 is taller than I expected - ie, the viewfinder sticks out but also slightly up, so it's more exposed than I imagined. I must have 7 or 8 bags/cases here in my studio and the Ex-3 was fine in only two - one was a rolling cases (check-in only) and the other was a tight squeeze in a portabrace shoulder carry bag, but left no space for anything else and little protection near the viewfinder.

Ted OMalley August 4th, 2008 09:37 AM

Charging for carry-ons? I've not heard this before. Or did you mean charging for checked baggage?

George Kroonder August 4th, 2008 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted OMalley (Post 916222)
Charging for carry-ons? I've not heard this before.

Check here for a comprehensive overview: Airline Carry-On Baggage Chart. The chart is also available on Rick Seaney's Farecompare.com site. Rick provides valuable travel information for free and it is my fav site for getting the best booking deals.

George/

P.S. Never meant to imply that the chart was my work.

Ted OMalley August 4th, 2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Kroonder (Post 916233)
Check here for a comprehensive overview: Airline Carry-On Baggage Chart.

George/

George, that's just cheating to post someone else's work.

(Don't I feel silly trying to build it myself!)

Thanks.

Larry Huntington August 4th, 2008 02:22 PM

The BP-502 looks like the choice for me as well. The trolly system is included which is nice.
Ted, can you give us a report when you receive the BP-502? Thanks, Larry

Ted OMalley August 4th, 2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Huntington (Post 916380)
The BP-502 looks like the choice for me as well. The trolly system is included which is nice.
Ted, can you give us a report when you receive the BP-502? Thanks, Larry

Larry, the BP-502 doesn't come with the dolly, but the BP-502-T package (which may not be available currently) does come with it.

Larry Huntington August 4th, 2008 02:28 PM

B&H states it comes free with this link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Backpack.html

Maybe I should call them first.

Ted OMalley August 4th, 2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Huntington (Post 916385)
B&H states it comes free with this link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Backpack.html

Maybe I should call them first.

Awesome! I stand corrected. Thanks for pointing it out, as I'm preparing to buy right now.

Jon Braeley August 4th, 2008 05:42 PM

The 502 is not sold with the dolly wheels - not even Kata have this option from their site - However, B & H offer them at an inclusive price of $299.95.

Bear in Mind that without the wheels the 502 is $269 at some places - this is what I paid, as I already own the Kata dolly wheels.

The wheels cost $50, so it's still a good deal from B & H if you want the wheels.

One thing about this backpack - like most Kata Bags - you need an instruction book!! I am not kidding, I have asked them but they do not supply any information. This is a serious bag with tons of options, straps, extra stuff, that you need to know where it all goes!

Ted OMalley August 4th, 2008 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Braeley (Post 916470)
The 502 is not sold with the dolly wheels - not even Kata have this option from their site - However, B & H offer them at an inclusive price of $299.95.

Bear in Mind that without the wheels the 502 is $269 at some places - this is what I paid, as I already own the Kata dolly wheels.

The wheels cost $50, so it's still a good deal from B & H if you want the wheels.

One thing about this backpack - like most Kata Bags - you need an instruction book!! I am not kidding, I have asked them but they do not supply any information. This is a serious bag with tons of options, straps, extra stuff, that you need to know where it all goes!

Adorama used to have the BP-502-T package:

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...d&sku=KABP502T

but it is no longer available.

Tapeworks Texas quoted me $249 for the bag - I suppose the wheels will probably bring it to an even $300.

Jon, did I hear you correctly? Did you say that you were putting together an instructional video for the EX3 and the Kata BP-502? Hey, that's swell! :-)

If you do have a moment, I'd be intersted in a photo of how you've laid things out - might give people a starting point.

Jon Braeley August 5th, 2008 06:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have not packed for a trip yet, so the bag is roughly packed lightly.

I have the main divider bent to one side to allow for the EX-3 side grip control.
I have charger, two microphones, shock mount on one side (left). On the right I have batteries, Kata rain slik, two Lav wireless mics, Expresscards etc.
I did place a small divider at the front - next to the camera hood, to hold the cam in place vertical length-wise. These extra pockets and the camera are accessible through the dome-flap, so you do not expose the entire insides when you need the camera - howver the EX-3 is a little large to drag through this hole!

As you see the interior pockets can be covered with a lid to stop all the stuff from being thrown around. This works as I swung the bag like a cat to check!

Larry Huntington August 6th, 2008 11:19 PM

Hey Jon,
Is this bag working out for you? I am only worried about size requirements with carry-on luggage. Do you feel it will be able to be carried on with all major airlines? I will be flying to Africa in the winter with Royal Air Morac. I'll have to check their size requirements. If only Sony adopted Canon's XL series idea to have the ability to detach the viewfinder. That was a really solid design which allowed me to detach the viewfinder when I transported it in a smaller backpack like my Lowell Pro Photo Trekker. At the time I used a Lowell Pro Photo Trekker which I still own. I really like the size of this bag. I transported two XH-A1's in it and it has never failed. I also used it to transport an XL2 back in the day when I traveled to Argentina. The first camera I used with this bag was a Canon L1 (Hi8). I bought it in 1997! Here is a pic of the EX3 in the same bag. I feel it needs more height clearance as I don't want to rub off or stress the viewfinder.

Larry Huntington August 6th, 2008 11:25 PM

Pics of the Photo Trekker.

3 Attachment(s)
Forgot to attach the photos of my current bag. Here they are.

Attila Cser August 7th, 2008 02:59 AM

Hi,
Can someone confirm pls. that the laptop compartment of the BP-502 would fit a 17" as well

Thnks,
Atti

Piotr Wozniacki August 7th, 2008 03:26 AM

Yes - and the Sony Vaio huge laptop, too!

Steve Cahill August 7th, 2008 04:21 AM

I always travel with the camera packed in a hard case as checked luggage. I do bring a soft case for arrival when on location. My thoughts on this are, that at any point in time the airlines may tell you no carry-on, then you are left with a bag that will not protect the camera as it gets loaded and unloaded from the plane.

Andy Wilkinson August 7th, 2008 04:32 AM

PMW-EX3 in a Petrol PWR-HDV Roller Bag

It might be relevant for me to post a link in here to some pics I posted on another thread a while back. This is how I pack my EX3. Only really room in the bag for spare batteries, shock mount, headphones and shotgun mic and a few ancillaries but it seems to work pretty well if you accept that limitation. The camera is really well protected and won't "rattle around" either. There is no room for my 15 inch MBP in this bag though.

Since this bag is airline style roller bag I assume it should be allowable as carry on with most airlines - please check though!

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=125033&page=2

Jon Braeley August 7th, 2008 06:32 AM

The Kata 502 is on the threshold for carry on baggage for sure. Continental seemed to think it was fine when I called them about it - see Ted's dimension table for the requirements.
It's black - it can go on wheels - or your back - a lot of this is in the way it looks as well.

I for one, would never check a camera. It never leaves my sight. Too risky - theft, lost luggage and damage are just the beginning of what could be a nightmare. Last November I went to the Good-Luck Beijing Games at the Olympic stadium and my checked bags went missing with all my batteries, tripod etc. I did have my cam and one mic, so I shot hand-held for just one hour until everything ran out. I was lucky to get anything.

My 15" MacBook Pro fits easily in the 502, so I think a 17" would make it. So does all my accessories and even some spare underwear - but then the bag does start to feel heavy.
It's all what you need it for. I am planning a really tough trip later this year - even wheels would be useless where I am going.

Attila Cser August 7th, 2008 07:38 AM

Thanks guys

Atti

Andy Wilkinson August 7th, 2008 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Braeley (Post 917603)
.....even some spare underwear - but then the bag does start to feel heavy......

Wow, that's some seriously heavy underware you must have!

:-)

Great thred guys. I for one was quite surprised at just how much larger/bulkier the EX3 is over the EX1. It really is a lot more of a challenge to pack. Looks blummin good when you get it out and start shooting though!

Steve Cahill August 8th, 2008 08:03 AM

I thought I would try the The Kata 502 nice bag ,but the straps do not fit well for backpacking it. Anyone else with this issue.

Bryan Shelley August 8th, 2008 03:05 PM

I have had the 502 for a couple of years as one of my bags for my HD100, and I love it. I'm selling the portabrace with the JVC and keeping the Kata because it's so versatile.

You can most certainly get a 17" laptop in it. I carry my 17" Mac in it all the time.

I agree with Steve that depending how it's loaded the straps can make the bag feel odd, but you can get use to it.

I have had only one problem with getting it on a plane in the US. They let me on with it but it wouldn't fit under the seat or in the overhead of the smaller jet we were on. luckily the flight wasn't full and it became another passenger. With the fewer flights these days and tighter restrictions I might not use it as much for air travel. I suppose that if you are asked to check at the gate that you could remove the camera and hand check the bag. I've had to do this in the past with other bags on occasion. I wouldn't worry about the stuff left in the bag during this situation as this bag is very well padded. In fact it's the strongest bag I've seen apart from a hard case.

Kata really does make a great bag.

I'm really glad to hear that the EX3 fits in the 502. Now I just need to get one to put in mine.

Ted OMalley August 8th, 2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Shelley (Post 918270)
I'm really glad to hear that the EX3 fits in the 502. Now I just need to get one to put in mine.

And I just need a 502 for my EX3 - Sounds a little like a Reeses' commercial!

Bryan Shelley August 8th, 2008 03:39 PM

Ted, thanks now I want a peanut buttercup. Your welcome to send me your camera to put in my bag for safe keeping. I promise I won't use it to much. :~}