Is the 16Gb Card worth the extra $349? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 5th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan Bonneau View Post
Any idea if you can mix and match cards, as in a Sony 8GB card in one slot and a SanDisk 16GB in the other?
I do it all the time, no problems.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #17
Major Player

Yes

Ditto on the Scandisk/Sony onboard at the same time. I don't even pay attention to which is which anymore they are the same.

I like the 16gig because I rarely freak out that I have to change out cards under duress. Two 8 gig cards is like having a dv tape, time wise (at hq)

I like just not having to even think about it. I can let one card go to 0 and take my sweet time putting in a new one when I have the chance.

NOW, for the archiving to DL/DVD for nice even money transfers thats another story. I have tried but failed to do this though so I use a different back up regimen..
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williams View Post
NOW, for the archiving to DL/DVD for nice even money transfers thats another story. I have tried but failed to do this though so I use a different back up regimen..
Are you having trouble with DL? I had lots of trouble, mostly due to media and burners. The only burners that ever did the job with zero verification errors were the BenQ IDE models. The biggest trouble was a Plextor SATA. If you really need the model numbers, I can look them up on my home computer. Media was also an issue, and Verbatim worked best for me as well as providing 4x burn rates.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #19
Major Player

I gave up

I shoot 95% weddings and have just about given up on archiving on optical disk right now. Those DLs here are about 2.50each and I have had to throw a few away, plus it is just super slow and I have really gotten behind on the process. I'm just buying and shelfing bare drives!!!

I've now started to tell my clients that I DO NOT ARCHIVE!!! Three months after the event there is no guarantee that there will be any record of the event in my posession, even thought there is, just on a drive that may go bad after a while on the shelf. All this to go tapeless. This is the biggest sucky part of the tapeless format.

I have ranted here about this and this is very ot so I'll stop.
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #20
Major Player

I just purchased the Sandisk 16Gb for 739.00 from B&H. I didn't want to pay that much, but I guess I don't have a choice right now. It's going to be really nice when those prices drop! Archival will remain on my hard drives.
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:00 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
I've now started to tell my clients that I DO NOT ARCHIVE!!! Three months after the event there is no guarantee that there will be any record of the event in my posession

[...]

All this to go tapeless. This is the biggest sucky part of the tapeless format.
Sorry for the OT post; but just a reminder that "tapeless workflow" relies on common data-archival procedures for long time storage. And for that tape - as in LTO or (S)DLT - is still 'King'.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:28 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kroonder View Post
Sorry for the OT post; but just a reminder that "tapeless workflow" relies on common data-archival procedures for long time storage. And for that tape - as in LTO or (S)DLT - is still 'King'.

George/
How ironic.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:43 AM   #23
Major Player

Considering that one 8GB card costs $500 and one 16 GB card cost $850 I look at it as $150 off two 8 GB cards. And yes it is much more convenient to have one 16GB card as opposed to smaller 8GB cards.

Thanks everyone for the SanDisk heads up. I didn't realize they were out yet.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #24
Major Player

My Sandisk 16Gb card arrives Tuesday. I'm stoked that I can now record longer than 28 minutes!
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
I have ranted here about this and this is very ot so I'll stop.
Just wanted to put in a big shout for BluRay-R - 25 GB (an 8 & a 16 or any other multiples thereof), works great with LG drive, Mac and Toast 9. Two copies of raw footage plus the hard disk version and an archived version of the edit.

But like you, I am going to put a charge on archiving because I no longer have an income stream for ingest!

Obligatory On Topic Comment: Yes, 16 GB cards are well worth the extra. My 8 GB card is now just a little 'get out of jail free' card, always there, never used.
Old August 10th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #26
Major Player

Just a heads up for other UK purchasers - the Sandisk 16gb card is £40 cheaper than the cheapest Sony one I could find on the internet. £379+VAT compared to the Sony at £419+VAT. Used one for the first time at the weekend - no probs.

Ian
Ian Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Reuter View Post
Considering that one 8GB card costs $500 and one 16 GB card cost $850 I look at it as $150 off two 8 GB cards. And yes it is much more convenient to have one 16GB card as opposed to smaller 8GB cards.
That's funny. I just look at it as one big ripoff.

If they are price gouging (which it appears they are), I can't see how I can reason that two small screw jobs are more expensive than one big screw job and thus the big screw job is therefore a bargain.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds