EX 3 Questions: (Pic Profiles, Lenses, Clip Browser) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 11th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX 3 Questions: (Pic Profiles, Lenses, Clip Browser)

Just got it on Friday and have been messing with it all weekend. Love it!

I've been reading this forum a lot and have learned a great deal but I still have some questions that aren't related to each other so pardon the stream of consciousness.

1. How do I download and load others' Picture Profile settings? I have found a .suf file in the sticky thread above, but when trying to load it onto my camera it will not find it.

2. A good wide angle lens recommendation would be nice. Has anyone tried the fujinon xs8x4as? I have a Z1U and a .7x HD Wide Angle Converter for it, and I'm still researching if the EX 3 is compatible with this lens. That said, I would still purchase a new one to have both.

3. Clip Browser. Perhaps I am dense but I can't figure out how to do anything with the clip browser other than copy the clip to my hard drive. Would really like to be able to import it into vegas. I can't believe that SONY Vegas can't natively read footage shot by this Sony camera. I own NEO HD, so I'll test the conversion process of that I guess. But I thought you could export to m2t files from the clip browser. Also, should I upgrade to version 2? [EDIT: I have all found answers to this questions here: http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/software.htm]

Last edited by Roger Akers; August 11th, 2008 at 09:52 AM.
Roger Akers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Don't use the SUF files here unless they're specifically posted for the EX3. The EX1 doesn't match the EX3. But, if you look through the sticky thread on the PP's you'll find the actual settings and you can manually set them up. Fortunately, the overall settings are the same.

To me, the whole point of interchangable lenses on the EX3 is to do just that. Change them when needed. Putting on a WA adapter is just not maximizing the features of the EX3. As soon as the XS8X4AS becomes available I'll be getting one.

Don't use Vegas to can't help you there. But I do like Ver 2 much better than Ver 1 of clipbrowser. Great to preview your clips but I have to use XDCAM Transfer to get them into FCP.
Rick Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Roger,

I'm with you regarding your surprise about Sony Vegas not reading native content from the Sony camera. However, the "re-wrap" process is quite quick and relatively painless even for an impatient guy like me.

In clip browser, you simply select the clip(s) you want to bring in to Vegas and select File -> Export and select the mxf for NLE option (top option, I believe).

This simply wraps the footage differently, not affecting the media or rendering or anything like that. These MXF file import nicely into vegas. This process only takes a little be longer than actually copying them over. If a clip would take 30 seconds to copy via USB from the camera, it is going to take somewhere around 35 or 40 seconds to wrap it and copy it - at least that is what I have seemed to experience in playing with it over the last couple weeks.
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
This process only takes a little be longer than actually copying them over. If a clip would take 30 seconds to copy via USB from the camera, it is going to take somewhere around 35 or 40 seconds to wrap it and copy it - at least that is what I have seemed to experience in playing with it over the last couple weeks.
Agreed with short clips; try the CB 2.0 with some 45mins one, however!
The previous version of Clip Browser was much faster...
Old August 11th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Roger,
This simply wraps the footage differently, not affecting the media or rendering or anything like that. These MXF file import nicely into vegas. This process only takes a little be longer than actually copying them over. If a clip would take 30 seconds to copy via USB from the camera, it is going to take somewhere around 35 or 40 seconds to wrap it and copy it - at least that is what I have seemed to experience in playing with it over the last couple weeks.
Thanks Ted,

I was unfamiliar with the MXF format. I've downloaded 2.0 and noticed it features many more options. Initial impressions are very good.
Roger Akers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds