air travel: should I take both EX1 batteries as carry-on? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 13th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #1
Major Player

air travel: should I take both EX1 batteries as carry-on?

Hi there,
I'm flying later today, and someone mentioned that I bring even my spare battery (which I was going to add to my checked baggage) as carry-on. He said airlines don't like lithium-ion batteries in the hold, or something to this effect.
Can someone corroborate?
Thanks, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Check here: http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

These rules are International Air Transport Association (IATA) rules, but here's the Canadian site and the Aussie equivalent (with a nice table).

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Carry on if you can with the new rules, at least you can mail it or something, I checked my on camera light battery belt which was within the rules but it was pulled out before the baggage was allowed to continue on. So if anyone wants a battery belt from Bescore goto JFK... should still be sitting in the hazmat pickup with United...
Old August 13th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Major Player

thanks so much to both of you... I will carry them both on and avoid the panic I would have experienced.
Cheers, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Does anyone know if the BP-U60 battery is classified as "large" or "small" battery by the new FAA rules?

Here is a quote from the website ""Larger" lithium ion batteries are rated between 100 and 300 watt-hours (8-25 g equivalent lithium content"
Old August 13th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #6
Major Player

The BP-U60 is rated at 56Wh, and should be well within the "small" classification.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #7
Major Player

I travelled with both the EX1, BPU30 and BPU60 packed in a backpack all the way from Canada, through Detroit, Amsterdam and then Norway with all my SxS cards as well. Had no problems at all.

Svein Rune
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I have flown several times interisland here in Hawaii, and TSA passed my BP-60 batteries in my camera bag without a comment.

I also packed a pair of nano-phosphate battery packs that I built and those went through without a hitch.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds