DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Ex3 & Ultra-wide Angle Fujinon Xs13x3.3brm (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/128277-ex3-ultra-wide-angle-fujinon-xs13x3-3brm.html)

Lorry Smyth August 19th, 2008 09:57 AM

Ex3 & Ultra-wide Angle Fujinon Xs13x3.3brm

Hi everyone. I just got from B&H today my EX3. I will be doing testing throughout this week and posting some samples footage here also. I'm upgrading from a EX1 and first impressions are extremely positive as far as ergonomics and overall usability.

My next immediate quest is to find a wide-angle lens for the EX3. Does everyone know if the Fujinon XS13X3.3BRM (for 1/2" sensors) is a match for the EX3, or if I still need to wait for the XS8X4AS-XB8 (announced but not released) to become available?

Thanks in advance :)

Ned Soltz August 19th, 2008 10:46 AM

The XS13 should definitely work. The forthcoming 8x lens will be XDCAM EX mount, meaning you will have full autofocus and all other auto functions. The XS13 will give you auto iris but no autofocus. Now, would really want autofocus in the first place? Sometimes it is good to have.

I suspect the 8x will be less expensive by several thousand dollars. I have no idea at this point of release. Perhaps others on the board might have some kind of ETA.

Enjoy your EX3. I really love mine whether for serious stuff or last night's home video for YouTube of the cat eating corn on the cob.

Alex da Silva August 19th, 2008 11:51 AM

I called a Sony guy (from the office in San Jose) and he couldn't confirm any dates as far as availability goes, but they have one unit there and he's impressed with the results paired with the Ex-3.

Ivan Snoeckx August 19th, 2008 12:24 PM

I think that Sony will introduce this wide angle at IBC in september.

Ned Soltz August 19th, 2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan Snoeckx (Post 922109)
I think that Sony will introduce this wide angle at IBC in september.

Sounds very logical.

I also imagine that it would be a good lens. Certainly the Fujinon on the EX1/3 is a very good lens considering the price point of the cameras.

Slightly OT, I've been looking at the archives of the XDCAM HD forum and noted a couple of years ago that some users reported excellent results with older ENG-style lens such as the Canon H series. One that sticks out is the Canon H9ax38IRS which is quite wide and which one user says he paired very successfully with his 350. In fact, his rig is currently on eBay for $16.5K-- camera and Canon lens.

I have no idea what this lens would currently fetch on the used market, but it might be interesting to pair it with the EX3 and shoot some tests.

Ned

David C. Williams August 19th, 2008 06:05 PM

The native EX3 FUJINON XS8×4AS-XB8 is listing an RRP of ¥420,000 in Japan. Unreleased of course, and who knows what street prices will be, but it's an indication I guess.

Dean Harrington August 19th, 2008 07:58 PM

tested this lens ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by David C. Williams (Post 922246)
The native EX3 FUJINON XS8×4AS-XB8 is listing an RRP of ¥420,000 in Japan. Unreleased of course, and who knows what street prices will be, but it's an indication I guess.

I gave this lens a go about 3 weeks ago in Tokyo. It's very good and very wide!

Alex da Silva August 19th, 2008 09:37 PM

Looking forward to it!

David C. Williams August 19th, 2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Harrington (Post 922305)
I gave this lens a go about 3 weeks ago in Tokyo. It's very good and very wide!

I hope to have a look see myself in about 6 weeks. I was surprised how wide the stock EX3 is actually. Going from a 5.5x20 on a 1/3" to a 5.8x14 on 1/2", the EX3 was considerably wider, and the macro is very good too. You can butt the hood against an object and still retain focus!
A 4x8 at 1/2" will be around 21mm 35mm equivalent I think, how was the edge distortion on that?

Dean Harrington August 19th, 2008 11:15 PM

edge distortion ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by David C. Williams (Post 922362)
I hope to have a look see myself in about 6 weeks. I was surprised how wide the stock EX3 is actually. Going from a 5.5x20 on a 1/3" to a 5.8x14 on 1/2", the EX3 was considerably wider, and the macro is very good too. You can butt the hood against an object and still retain focus!
A 4x8 at 1/2" will be around 21mm 35mm equivalent I think, how was the edge distortion on that?

I was at a demo and as far I saw, there was no distortion at the edges. It was very clean.

David C. Williams August 20th, 2008 12:09 AM

Thanks, it might be seriously worth considering then, rather than using a screw on wide adaptor. Have to break the piggy bank again just after gluing it together...

Eugene Presley October 15th, 2008 11:20 PM

Any body knows where I can buy this lens? Is it available yet?

(EX3 FUJINON XS8×4AS-XB8)

Andy Wilkinson October 16th, 2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eugene Presley (Post 951875)
Any body knows where I can buy this lens? Is it available yet?

(EX3 FUJINON XS8×4AS-XB8)

I asked about this today on the Sony stand at the IOV event in Coventry UK and he said Fujinon's wideangle for the EX3 should be released at the end of this month. He estimated a ball park price of "about £2000".

Eugene Presley October 17th, 2008 01:23 AM

Thanks for your answer Andy!

Eugene Presley October 27th, 2008 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David C. Williams (Post 922246)
The native EX3 FUJINON XS8×4AS-XB8 is listing an RRP of ?420,000 in Japan. Unreleased of course, and who knows what street prices will be, but it's an indication I guess.

I'm a patiently waiting for the release of this lens. It should have been available by now, no? Anybody any idea from where I can order it as soon as it's released?