Ex3 & Ultra-wide Angle Fujinon Xs13x3.3brm at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 19th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Ex3 & Ultra-wide Angle Fujinon Xs13x3.3brm

Hi everyone. I just got from B&H today my EX3. I will be doing testing throughout this week and posting some samples footage here also. I'm upgrading from a EX1 and first impressions are extremely positive as far as ergonomics and overall usability.

My next immediate quest is to find a wide-angle lens for the EX3. Does everyone know if the Fujinon XS13X3.3BRM (for 1/2" sensors) is a match for the EX3, or if I still need to wait for the XS8X4AS-XB8 (announced but not released) to become available?

Thanks in advance :)
Lorry Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Major Player

The XS13 should definitely work. The forthcoming 8x lens will be XDCAM EX mount, meaning you will have full autofocus and all other auto functions. The XS13 will give you auto iris but no autofocus. Now, would really want autofocus in the first place? Sometimes it is good to have.

I suspect the 8x will be less expensive by several thousand dollars. I have no idea at this point of release. Perhaps others on the board might have some kind of ETA.

Enjoy your EX3. I really love mine whether for serious stuff or last night's home video for YouTube of the cat eating corn on the cob.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #3
New Boot

I called a Sony guy (from the office in San Jose) and he couldn't confirm any dates as far as availability goes, but they have one unit there and he's impressed with the results paired with the Ex-3.
Alex da Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #4
Major Player

I think that Sony will introduce this wide angle at IBC in september.
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Snoeckx View Post
I think that Sony will introduce this wide angle at IBC in september.
Sounds very logical.

I also imagine that it would be a good lens. Certainly the Fujinon on the EX1/3 is a very good lens considering the price point of the cameras.

Slightly OT, I've been looking at the archives of the XDCAM HD forum and noted a couple of years ago that some users reported excellent results with older ENG-style lens such as the Canon H series. One that sticks out is the Canon H9ax38IRS which is quite wide and which one user says he paired very successfully with his 350. In fact, his rig is currently on eBay for $16.5K-- camera and Canon lens.

I have no idea what this lens would currently fetch on the used market, but it might be interesting to pair it with the EX3 and shoot some tests.

Ned
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 06:05 PM   #6
Major Player

The native EX3 FUJINON XS8×4AS-XB8 is listing an RRP of ¥420,000 in Japan. Unreleased of course, and who knows what street prices will be, but it's an indication I guess.
David C. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #7
Major Player

tested this lens ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. Williams View Post
The native EX3 FUJINON XS8×4AS-XB8 is listing an RRP of ¥420,000 in Japan. Unreleased of course, and who knows what street prices will be, but it's an indication I guess.
I gave this lens a go about 3 weeks ago in Tokyo. It's very good and very wide!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #8
New Boot

Looking forward to it!
Alex da Silva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Harrington View Post
I gave this lens a go about 3 weeks ago in Tokyo. It's very good and very wide!
I hope to have a look see myself in about 6 weeks. I was surprised how wide the stock EX3 is actually. Going from a 5.5x20 on a 1/3" to a 5.8x14 on 1/2", the EX3 was considerably wider, and the macro is very good too. You can butt the hood against an object and still retain focus!
A 4x8 at 1/2" will be around 21mm 35mm equivalent I think, how was the edge distortion on that?
Old August 19th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #10
Major Player

edge distortion ...

Quote:
I hope to have a look see myself in about 6 weeks. I was surprised how wide the stock EX3 is actually. Going from a 5.5x20 on a 1/3" to a 5.8x14 on 1/2", the EX3 was considerably wider, and the macro is very good too. You can butt the hood against an object and still retain focus!
A 4x8 at 1/2" will be around 21mm 35mm equivalent I think, how was the edge distortion on that?
I was at a demo and as far I saw, there was no distortion at the edges. It was very clean.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks, it might be seriously worth considering then, rather than using a screw on wide adaptor. Have to break the piggy bank again just after gluing it together...
Old October 15th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #12
Major Player

Any body knows where I can buy this lens? Is it available yet?

(EX3 FUJINON XS8×4AS-XB8)
Eugene Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Presley View Post
Any body knows where I can buy this lens? Is it available yet?

(EX3 FUJINON XS8×4AS-XB8)
I asked about this today on the Sony stand at the IOV event in Coventry UK and he said Fujinon's wideangle for the EX3 should be released at the end of this month. He estimated a ball park price of "about £2000".
Old October 17th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #14
Major Player

Thanks for your answer Andy!
Eugene Presley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
The native EX3 FUJINON XS8×4AS-XB8 is listing an RRP of ?420,000 in Japan. Unreleased of course, and who knows what street prices will be, but it's an indication I guess.

I'm a patiently waiting for the release of this lens. It should have been available by now, no? Anybody any idea from where I can order it as soon as it's released?
Eugene Presley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds